r

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
I get 3050 fps out of my 270 Winnie featherweight with factory loaded Barnes 129 lrx and routine .5-.65 moa out to 450 yards. I've shot it out to 550 and my groups are less consistent but I think there's a few shooter related variables at play, and I've only had the rifle a few weeks. I think 150s or an eldx 145 with a bit more juice would be pretty fantastic. Could probably get to 800ish yards with 15moa of elevation out of the 270wsm... That's a flat shooter for sure and would be a rad buck slapper. With some talleys and a vx3i 3.5-10x50 cds you'd be under 8 lbs unloaded with the Winchester EW and ready for any hunt anywhere. Damn near a point and shoot affair from 0-350 yards too. If the question is which gun, the answer is get both. Primary and a backup and great to rotate between at the range.

howl

WKR
It's a little fast at short range, but a heavier bullet rakes care of that.

Only knock is you give up a round of magazine capacity. This is only an issue for me if taking multiple animals at one go. I have never run a 4 or 5 shot dry, but have a 3 shot, more than once. I still like mine and would buy again if I didn't do 6.5 PRC instead.

If deer only check also the Superformance numbers on 25 WSSM. I like my WSSM too but have not tried that load. It's just interesting when compared to the 270.

Tberg

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot 140 ABs at ~3100 fps out of my M70 Classic Laminate. Accuracy is excellent with Magpro. With a 200 yard zero; its a laser out to about 350 yards . My M70 needed trigger, pillars, and epoxy bed to get sub moa accuracy. My two tikkas did it out of the box with no fuss.

Shooters reporting 3050 fps with 150 grain bullets and RL-26 out of a standard .270 Win. makes the WSM a little less appealing, to me anyway.

But its a great cartridge for western hunting, no doubt (as are many).

tdhanses

WKR
My 270wsm is slinging the 130gr swifts at 3,493fps. I haven’t had a chance to load up the Berger 170’s yet. If you do get a 270wsm or 270win try to find a 1-8 twist barrel, otherwise 150’s will be about the max grain bullet you’ll want to go.

If you do reload RL-26 has given me amazing results out of both a 270win and 270wsm. So all the gains you get from it with the 270win you also pretty much get with the 270wsm.

When I tested the 170gr Berger’s out of a 270win using RL-26 I was getting 2,897fps, I’m sure the 270wsm will be over 3,000fps, just not sure how much over.

Last edited:
If you do reload RL-26 has given me amazing results out of both a 270win and 270wsm. So all the gains you get from it with the 270win you also pretty much get with the 270wsm.

The pressure-tested data from Alliant shows the WSM/150 Partition at 3088 and the 270 Win at 3022 with the same bullet. What kind of velocities are you seeing with the 26/150 combo in a WSM?

Get the gun you want. With todays bullets and powders its spitting hairs from 6.5 to 7mm Mag anymore. I am in the process of trying to find my next rifle caliber. After all the running in circles I could handle I have pretty much decided to get what makes me happy. I have always had this love affair with the 280 Ackley so I am pretty sure that I am just going to buy one and go kill stuff with it. The 270wsm is still on my short list.

tdhanses

WKR
The pressure-tested data from Alliant shows the WSM/150 Partition at 3088 and the 270 Win at 3022 with the same bullet. What kind of velocities are you seeing with the 26/150 combo in a WSM?

I haven’t shot any 150’s but Robby was getting 3400fps with 140’s. I would assume 150’s would be close to 3300fps.

Also I’ve found Alliant to be off, based on my experience. I would expect a 270win to be just over 3000fps with a 150gr, on avg a 270wsm is about 200+fps faster using rl26 from my experience.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Get the gun you want. With todays bullets and powders its spitting hairs from 6.5 to 7mm Mag anymore. I am in the process of trying to find my next rifle caliber. After all the running in circles I could handle I have pretty much decided to get what makes me happy. I have always had this love affair with the 280 Ackley so I am pretty sure that I am just going to buy one and go kill stuff with it. The 270wsm is still on my short list.

For some reason I have a soft spot for the .277 cals.

I have a soft spot for the 270 because my dad gave me his father's 270 when I started hunting. I don't shoot it anymore and am just holding it to pass it to my nephew when he shows he is ready for it.

270 wsm, shoots bullets of weights in the sweet spot - sufficient to kill without creating excessive recoil, at fast speeds.

I can’t get over the fact that .277 bullet options still pale in comparison to 6.5s and 7s. People act like the Berger 170 changes things, I don’t think it does. No factory barrels twist for it and it has the same BC as a 7mm 162 ELDm. So lighter bullet, bigger diameter, same BC, works in factory rifles, plenty of other alternatives compared to the 170 eol, and better barrel life with a bigger bore all else being equal.

Sako76

WKR
270 WSM, great choice. I had three, now down to two (Sako Tecomate and Sako Grey Wolf), what's not to like. Fast, accurate, milder recoil. I shot a raghorn in Colorado two years ago with the Tecomate shooting Federal Premium 150 grain Nosler Partitions. Two shots at 300 yards thru the lungs, both complete pass thru's, elk went 5 yards. I sold a BACO Extreme Weather in 270 WSM, I wish I didn't.

tdhanses

WKR
270 wsm, shoots bullets of weights in the sweet spot - sufficient to kill without creating excessive recoil, at fast speeds.

I can’t get over the fact that .277 bullet options still pale in comparison to 6.5s and 7s. People act like the Berger 170 changes things, I don’t think it does. No factory barrels twist for it and it has the same BC as a 7mm 162 ELDm. So lighter bullet, bigger diameter, same BC, works in factory rifles, plenty of other alternatives compared to the 170 eol, and better barrel life with a bigger bore all else being equal.

I think the factory barrel twist is what has held back the .277cal, we won’t see bullet manufacturers step up until 1-8 or 1-9 twists replace the 1-10 or some .277cal takes off like all 6.5’s have.

I haven’t shot any 150’s but Robby was getting 3400fps with 140’s. I would assume 150’s would be close to 3300fps.

Also I’ve found Alliant to be off, based on my experience. I would expect a 270win to be just over 3000fps with a 150gr, on avg a 270wsm is about 200+fps faster using rl26 from my experience.

What do you mean "off?"

I'm going to trust a ballistics lab over a handloader 10 times out of 10. Just because Robby got 3400 and his gun didn't blow up doesn't mean it is a safe load.

tdhanses

WKR
What do you mean "off?"

I'm going to trust a ballistics lab over a handloader 10 times out of 10. Just because Robby got 3400 and his gun didn't blow up doesn't mean it is a safe load.

I meant the generic load data on Alliants website, they publish low probably for liability reasons. Each gun is different just mine seem to be safe at higher loads and get better FPS then they publish. I never go off a website other then to use a low starting point, I don’t trust their published results so confirm them myself with my guns but again this is only for me and each person should do their own testing and not anyone else.

So that was based on my experience with both 270win and 270wsm and not just reading something off the web. To each their own but I’ll trust my personal hands on experience over what a company, other handloader or book publishes since it is me behind the gun.

Also it’s been awhile since I looked over Alliants load data but it was very lacking for bullet selections from what I remember.

Last edited:
I meant the generic load data on Alliants website, they publish low probably for liability reasons. Each gun is different just mine seem to be safe at higher loads and get better FPS then they publish. I never go off a website other then to use a low starting point, I don’t trust their published results so confirm them myself with my guns but again this is only for me and each person should do their own testing and not anyone else.

So that was based on my experience with both 270win and 270wsm and not just reading something off the web. To each their own but I’ll trust my personal hands on experience over what a company, other handloader or book publishes since it is me behind the gun.

Also it’s been awhile since I looked over Alliants load data but it was very lacking for bullet selections from what I remember.
I can agree with this. I'll add Noslers 7 mm Rem Mag data in as well. I check everything with quick loads. Several sources publish low and several sources publish high. He's not incorrect about that.

That's why the say work up in your rifle. Most sources are watered down. Lymans 50th seems to be fairly close on max loads from my experience.

Anyway work up your loads. I verified all my data with 2 Chronos and quickloads.

Back to the OP I had a 270 weatherby. I really wish I had that one back.

There are 3 cartridges I currently consider absolutely all around. 270, 280, 30-06

Years ago I kinda shrugged off the 270 as it didn't make a lot of sense to me as I ground pounded whitetails and Blackies here in the east coast mountains and swamps. 15 years later I end up traveling yearly out west now. In an effort to find the perfect crossover rifle I went with things like the 358 win for it's super effectiveness on Blackies but it lacked at 400 yards, then back to 30-06 then to the 6.5 creed as and now with a 7 mm Rem Mag.

Long story short, that 270 wsm will be the bee's knees on any game loaded at 3000 ish fps with a 140 quality bullets. I'd personally look at swift or Barnes for a one and done.

As for me I'm still looking for that unicorn

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

HOT ROD

WKR
270 wsm

My wife shoots a 270 wsm every thing she has shot has been bang flop...

Attachments

• IMG_0744.jpg
    IMG_0744.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 77

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
I ran a 270wsm for years. It’s a decent round but leaves a bit on the table.

Bullet selection is lacking and probably always will be.
The 270wsm brass is lacking in better brands.
The WSM’s aren’t the best for feeding.
The WSM’s tend toward pressure signs rapidly.

If I was forced to go .277 again it would be a 270 win.
If I was forced to go WSM it would be 300WSM on a long action.

A 7mm Rem mag will do everything a .277 WSM will do, only better with more options for rifles, brass, and bullets.
Belts are a slight annoyance, but I’d say less than the annoyances that come with WSM’s.

I currently own a 7mmWSM and just bought its replacement, a 7mm Rem Mag. I’ve drank the WSM coolaid twice now.