Scope question

gabenzeke

WKR
How do you determine which rings to get for your scope? I see they come in low, medium, and high. Never been a rifle Hunter and trying to get all set up. I'm assuming this is a dumb question, but you've gotta start somewhere...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Have you picked out your scope you want? Ring height depends on tube size, objective diameter and barrel profile. You want it mounted as close to barrel centerline as possible, but still clearing the barrel tube without touching. Might help if you post up what rifle you have and what scope you're looking at. I'm sure someone on here will have either the same setup or a similar one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
I'm shooting a Remington 700 LR in 300 RUM. I also picked up a Leupold vx5 3-15x44 off the classifieds here and would like to put the rings on a 20 moa picatinny rail.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
I kind of like the idea of the Hawkins rings. Eliminating a part makes sense to me. How confident are you the low will work? I'd have to mail order and want to be sure I'm getting the right ones. Also, do I need to lap these?
I believe these should work in a low with the 44 mm objective on your scope. Force Recon Rings

If you're not set on using a rail, I would recommend the Hawkins Long-Range Hybrid Rings in a low.

Andy T

FNG
Scope ring height calculator.
No modern quality rings should need to be lapped. I have no experience with Hawkins, but give their price, they should be good to go.
Personally, I used Badger rings/mounts, ADM mounts and SPUHR. All good to go. The key to scope mounting is to not over torque the rings around the scope.

I have that same rifle in .300 Win Mag. I went with the Nightforce Direct Mount that’s a 1-piece Base/Rings “combo” with 20MOA built into the base.

Solid as a rock and lightweight CNC machined T7076 aluminum.

Call Nightforce with your Scope model (does NOT have to be a Nightforce optic) and they will tell you what ring height to buy for scope clearance.

I have SPUR and LaRue mounts too and this one is excellent quality.

Here’s the website link: Direct Mounts - Rem 700 (Aluminum) | Riflescopes & Sport Optics | Nightforce Optics, Inc.

Good luck!!

How do you determine which rings to get for your scope? I see they come in low, medium, and high. Never been a rifle Hunter and trying to get all set up. I'm assuming this is a dumb question, but you've gotta start somewhere...

Email whichever scope ring company you are intrested in. Let them know your scope info and your rifle info and they will tell you which ones to get.