Winchester 70’extreme weather vs Tikka T3x superlite in 6.5 creedmoor and 7mm/08

What if I added Remington model 700 mountain rifle SS , 7mm/08 or 6.5 creedmoor

What do y’all think ??
All opinions welcomed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Grumman

WKR
Not a wrong choice with either. I really like my EW. Personally I’ve grown use to the three position safety.

EastMT

WKR
I prefer another brand, but that extreme is very nice, I really like it and am considering one. Tikka is by far the best bang for your buck, accurate, good guns. I just don’t like them. I can’t explain why, they just don’t draw me in. The Winchester does. Neither is a bad choice, which one do you like best is the important question. Which one just feels right on your shoulder?

Caliber is about identical out to game shooting yardage or at my limit anyway.

Wapiti1

WKR
Winchester M70. No plastic action parts, no detachable mag and a 3 position firing pin block safety. These, to me, are very good things. YMMV. Tikka makes a great rifle and it is unlikely you would be unhappy with either. I just don't own one for the above reasons. I think the Winchester design is better, and FN builds them very well these days.

Jeremy

OP
T
What if I added Remington model 700 mountain rifle ss???

OP
T
Mainly whitetail
With elk or west hunt every other year

Tikka. I have one in .270 and it shoots lights out and the action is butter!

PNWGATOR

WKR
If you’re set on the 7mm08 you should also consider the Barrett Fieldcraft. Know it wasn’t on your short list, but it’s too good of a platform for the caliber not to consider.

I got a FN Winchester short action feather weight over the tikka or remington actions.

It’s got a few advantages that pushed me over the edge.

Slightly more weight. Not a huge amount but just enough to steady out the cross hairs after going up and down hills. Scoped, slung, leather cheek rest and loaded is at about 8 lbs.

Bolt locks down on safe. I wanted to be able to sling the rifle and not worry about the bolt opening when packing out. Had that issue with a Remington action before.

Hinged floor plate. No mag to lose. Less of a Chinese fire drill to unload and close the bolt on an empty chamber but still have all the rounds in the gun.

Three position safety. Not as easy to accidentally bump it off safe. Makes me feel better knowing that the firing pin is blocked if I take a spill.

Last edited:

mcseal2

WKR
FWIW I've had two Tikka rifles, the 595 and 695 versions from before the T3. Both shot excellent as long as I didn't put to much down pressure on the flimsy synthetic stock and make it contact the barrel as the shot broke. It really wasn't an issue once I recognized what was causing it. My chronograph showed both barrels were "fast" for their length also, even factory ammo shot higher velocity from them than my custom barrels 2" longer in the same chambering.

That said I had both and sold them despite their good traits. The safety was the reason for me. I grew up on an Winchester M70 and later used rifles with a tang or 3 position safety from Ruger or Browning. I hate the Remington or Tikka safety. I often switch my RH bolt action to carry over my left shoulder on a sling and have had the safety rub into the fire position on my pack and the bolt rub open. It is a personal deal, but it never happens with a 3 position or tang safety. I sold a Colt Light Rifle that was one of the lightest and best shooting rifles I ever owned for this same issue.

If you don't carry a RH rifle like I do at times I would just pick what fits you best. Both are excellent guns.