New Rifle opinions...

tedtf

FNG
Looking for a lighter weight 308 rifle. Looking at Browning X-Bolt Pro, Christensen Mesa, or Weatherby weathermark. I own some X-bolts already and am very happy with them. Handled a Mesa at local dealer and its a really nice feeling rifle. No experience at all with weatherby, but I like that it does not have a brake. Rifle will be used mainly for plains deer hunting. I'd like to keep price under $1700 for the rifle. Thanks for any advice.

davsco

WKR
if you don't like a brake, check out tikka t3x light and superlight (cabelas and sportsmans warehouse only), their barrels are not threaded.

howl

WKR
X-Bolt Pro comes with a thread protector if you don't want to use the brake. There's something to be said for running multiple guns with identical controls.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
How about a Barrett Fieldcraft?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
Kimber Montana would be one option. If you want light they fit the bill. Another option would be a Montana Rifle Co X3, pretty nice all around hunting rifle about 1.5 lb more than the Kimbers in similar calibers.

WKR
Looking for a lighter weight 308 rifle. Looking at Browning X-Bolt Pro, Christensen Mesa, or Weatherby weathermark. I own some X-bolts already and am very happy with them. Handled a Mesa at local dealer and its a really nice feeling rifle. No experience at all with weatherby, but I like that it does not have a brake. Rifle will be used mainly for plains deer hunting. I'd like to keep price under $1700 for the rifle. Thanks for any advice.

I've killed a lot of deer on the plains since 1996. Shots ranged from 22 yards to 650 yards. Any rifle you have from 6mm to 7mm will be more than fine. I'd tune up one of your current rifles and get a scope that dials repeatedly(SWFA or Nightforce) and go hunting. We're talking elevation of around 4,000 feet and relatively flat all in all. Light is not needed there.

Murph1

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Tikka T3 superlite in 308 last summer. It is "super" light so I took a couple classes to learn to shoot it right. Incredible rifle. I got accurate out to 753yrds with it off a pack

For what you are hunting and you want a short action caliber, a 7mm-08 might serve you better with a bit better ballistics than the 308. A 7x57 Mauser would be also very nice. Montana Rifle company X2's are a great looking and feeling rifle. I have never fired one but I'm seriously thinking about purchasing one. Another fine rifle that doesn't get a lot of press is the Ruger Hawkeye with the walnut stock. Ruger builds a good solid rifle. The Winchester Model 70 EW SS is another fine rifle. My son has one in 300 WSM. It's a great shooting rifle and the 300 WSM does not have much more kick than a 308.

PredatorX

WKR
I bought a Tikka T3 superlite in 308 last summer. It is "super" light so I took a couple classes to learn to shoot it right. Incredible rifle. I got accurate out to 753yrds with it off a pack
What were some of the tips you learned? I have been laying my left forearm over the scope which seems to help on my 7# .308. But offhand I suck!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ofl0926

WKR
Weathermark rifle from weatherby is an amazing rifle. I own in 6.5/300 wby. Comes with a nice stock, cerakoted action and barrel. Also the new trigger is sweet. Nice blade and crisp brake on the pull. Also light too. You can’t go wrong with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmac603

Lil-Rokslider
There is/was a sweet Kimber MA in 30.06 with VX3 on it in the classifieds for $1500. I know it's a different caliber, but very close and a smokin' deal. There is a brake, but comes with a thread protector for use without. Food for thought.

Jason

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
Can't comment on the Weatherby, while the CA Mesa is a fine rifle my preference would be for the Browning because of the bolt throw and safety locking mechanism compared to the remington pattern CA (I used to own a ridgeline 308 and xbolt 300wsm).

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
Kimber Montana would be one option. If you want light they fit the bill. Another option would be a Montana Rifle Co X3, pretty nice all around hunting rifle about 1.5 lb more than the Kimbers in similar calibers.

I take every opportunity to recommend staying away from the Montana Rifle Co. rifles. I bought an X2 in 30-06 and had nothing but problems with it. I eventually re-bedded it myself and fixed the action screws and pillars before it shot well. I called their company when I first got the rifle and saw that I was getting terrible groups (3 inches or worse at 100 yards, shooting from a bench with rests) and their response was that they didn't really care and if I felt like sending the rifle back they'd see if they could something - if I insisted. I can't say that the crappy rifle work and their attitude is common for their company but all it took was one time for me to be totally turned off by them.

Murph1

Lil-Rokslider
What were some of the tips you learned? I have been laying my left forearm over the scope which seems to help on my 7# .308. But offhand I suck!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
It was obviously a whole build up of techniques to get accurate from adding padding to the stock to achieve proper sight picture to training the trigger finger to pull straight back and off course using the natural respiratory pause. But one main difference with a light rifle was that I had to pull the butt off the stock tight to the crease in my shoulder without tensing up my trigger muscles.

I have an X-Bolt Pro in 6.5 CM and will buy another one in .300 WM before next season.

I really like the design of the bolt safety release and mine in 6.5 CM shoots 1/2 MOA so I couldn’t be happier with it.

It’s fairly lightweight, but not so light that it’s hard to steady on a rest.

This was my first X-Bolt, so I don’t have a long history with them, but I’m definitely buying another one - I like it that much. Good luck!

Apollo117

WKR
Your budget of $1,700 is awfully close to the Christensen Ridgeline or a Fierce Fury. I'd suggest saving a bit more and getting the Fierce Fury. It's higher quality than the Browning or Weatherby. Also, I don't think the Browning or Weatherby have a 1/2 MOA guarantee.

Just my opinion.