Upgraded Tikkas

eamyrick

WKR
Bought a Tikka 308 T3x and was so impressed with the accuracy and durability that I decided to get one in 270
as my primary hunting rifle. I’d like to upgrade the bottom metal and get an aftermarket stock. Anyone have any experience or photos they could share. Looking at the manners MCS-EHT ($600), Bell and Carlson Medalist ($270), and the Grayboe terrain ($329). Thanks.

hwy1strat

WKR
Buy the Manners. Don't waste your money on the other 2 stocks. If i remember correctly, Manners now makes a chassis/bottom metal for tikkas too

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
Man that’s nice. The factory stock really is nice but my last one was not fully free floated and I think I could squeak out another .25 moa with an upgraded stock.

https://i.imgur.com/c9Xn36T.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/TyOXX8C.jpg

Here is mine in 7mm, has the mountain tactical bottom metal, titanium bolt handle, carbon bolt knob, mountain tactical 20 moa rail, I had the bolt fluted from long range only or something like that and had it cerakoted by a local guy.

weaver

WKR
I preferred the factory stock over the b&c. No experience with the other two.
I now have a stockys carbon stock and it's my favorite rifle stock. Don't care for the carbon look and the fit and finish could be better but the ergonomics just fit me well.

For a bottom metal I like the High Desert one better than the Mountain tactical.

Only have one crappy picture of my rifle from a coues hunt last week.
f7c080b14c62895fb89b8f0f23148584.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I preferred the factory stock over the b&c. No experience with the other two.
I now have a stockys carbon stock and it's my favorite rifle stock. Don't care for the carbon look and the fit and finish could be better but the ergonomics just fit me well.

For a bottom metal I like the High Desert one better than the Mountain tactical.

Only have one crappy picture of my rifle from a coues hunt last week.
f7c080b14c62895fb89b8f0f23148584.jpg

Nice rifle. I don't believe Stocky's sells those carbon stocks as theirs anymore. Now the stockys branded carbon stuff is made by AG composites which I gather is a step up in quality but I don't like their shapes as much for a light hunting rifle.

The ones like you have are made by southfort labs in new zealand, I have one ordered for a tikka build right now. They look to be a well balanced stock shape that the big players couldn't figure out for some reason. For the life of me I don't know why manners or micky can't make a hunting stock with a fairly vertical pistol grip that is close enough to the trigger without making the whole thing chunky like a tactical stock.

What is your cheek pad on that thing?

weaver

WKR
Cheek pad is the thickest one made by kick eez. 1/4" I believe.
Its just low enough that I can remove the bolt.

Muttly

WKR
Picked up a T3x stainless in 7 Mag last year, slapped an SWFA 33-9x42 in DNZ on it. Just got it back from the smith two weeks ago, threaded the barrel, Hellfire brake on it, and it's a hoot to shoot! Even got me reloading again!
In the pipeline for a McMillan Sako Hunter with enhanced edge fill, likely still a couple months out from seeing it..

Colers22. Sick build. I'm left handed so I've been contemplating the tikka. I have one too many left handed 700's with the same aftermarket parts. Your gun has me thinking I need a tikka

colersu22

WKR
Man that’s nice. The factory stock really is nice but my last one was not fully free floated and I think I could squeak out another .25 moa with an upgraded stock.

I do t use rifles much and don’t know a ton but I did the dollar trick to check and I ended up shaving a little off the stock since I couldn’t slide the dollar all the way up. My buddy also bedded the action for me and it shoots far better than I can. I would like to get a cheek riser just so I can sit a little more comfortable behind the scope.

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed. Skip the B&C. Use your money elsewhere. I had one and sold it quickly. Too thick and heavy (I'd bet the story is the same with Greyboe). No improvement in accuracy for me. Worked fine but I like the factory stock better. I've gotten to like painting rifle stocks so changing the look is easy. I'm sure a Manners or other carbon-fiber super lightweight would be awesome but to me it isn't worth the money...especially on a rifle that shoots really well already. Here is mine while it was in the B&C.

MBQDxSe.jpg

Here it is now, factory stock, quick and easy paint job(plus my other painted tikka's stock):

oHKhL2W.jpg

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Couldn't be easier... Clean the stock with rubbing alcohol or acetone. Let it dry (like 5 min.) Then paint with camo spray paint. I've used Krylon and rustoleum and they work equally well. On these two, I didn't use any coating. In the past, I've used a spray on matte clear coat. With the sponge camo I don't care if it gets scratched because it isn't noticeable. The "pattern" is just uneven blotches. But it is really durable. I can't scratch it off with my thumb nail if I try. I have one I did 3 years ago, that I've hunted every year and shot with a bunch more, and it looks just as good as when the paint was new. The clear coat just adds time and you actually have to spray the stock, which means masking certain parts. With the sponges, you just spray on a piece of cardboard, dab the sponge, and dab on the stock. You don't even have to mask it off.

aBlNaUH.jpg

sloveless

Lil-Rokslider
That looks way easy. I tried it on a Browning A-Bolt about 5 years ago and had adhesion problems. never tried it on a tikka though.

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yea, I have not had any issues with the paint sticking. So far I've done 4 rifles and 2 shotguns. All very standard plastic/synthetic stocks. I'm sure some factory coatings or finishes could make it difficult, but I haven't encountered that yet. I can say Tikkas are good to go if cleaned

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Bought a Tikka 308 T3x and was so impressed with the accuracy and durability that I decided to get one in 270
as my primary hunting rifle. I’d like to upgrade the bottom metal and get an aftermarket stock. Anyone have any experience or photos they could share. Looking at the manners MCS-EHT ($600), Bell and Carlson Medalist ($270), and the Grayboe terrain ($329). Thanks.

Do not buy the BC Medalist. Adds 1/2 pound and is inferior to the factory stock in every way. I'd go with the Manners all day. Not even comparable. High desert bottom metal or mountain tactical and factory stock is pretty much all that's necessary though.

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
Do not buy the BC Medalist. Adds 1/2 pound and is inferior to the factory stock in every way. I'd go with the Manners all day. Not even comparable. High desert bottom metal or mountain tactical and factory stock is pretty much all that's necessary though.

I appreciate it. I keep eyeing the B and C for the price but the Manners and MT bottom metal would be ideal.

slick

WKR
Had a B & C for a savage awhile back and did not like it what-so-ever. Can’t imagine it’s any different for the Tikka inletted version. Not worth the money IMO. Sticking to the factory stock or going to a carbon fiber one at some point.