Upgraded Tikkas

Besides weight what makes a stock inferior? Not free floated enough or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Besides weight what makes a stock inferior? Not free floated enough or what?

For me it was the build quality and extra 8 oz of weight. My rifle shot worse with it (YMMV). The tikka T3 inletted BC uses an aluminum bedding block. It just looks done on the cheap to me. When you hold a BC stock next to a manners stock or a mcmillan edge fill you can tell right away the difference. The Tikka stock was actually significantly more rigid at the forend than the BC and I prefer the ergonomics. I found the factory plastic much more consistent in a variety of shooting positions (bipod, pack rest, limb rest, etc. ). Just my observation. I gave the stock away and my buddy worked his way to the same conclusions. It's now on a shelf.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've always bought B&C stocks for my Remington Model Sevens and M700s. I bought in on the hype and bought a McMillan with edge fill for a Model Seven. I won't make that mistake again. I prefer the B&C over the McMillan by a long shot. The grip is and lines are perfect on the B&C and way too thin on the McMillan. The weight saving ain't that great either.

Also, all of my B&C stocks have been a perfect drop in fit. The McMillan had to be sent back twice and still needed fitting work.

TwoTikkas

WKR
I tricked out one of the dozen T3s I've had / have. It turned out nice. I don't have issue with the factory mags or trigger guard so it remained stock. I had it Cerakoted graphite black. The bolt was fluted and the flutes coated the same. Then dropped into a B and C medalist. I don't hate B and C stocks. I've grown fond of their Remington stocks,but not the Tikka. I have thick hands. To me the whole grip looks like an after thought. A place to house the tail of the aluminum block. Maybe if you have long slender hands it's fine. I don't miss it.

The factory synthetic is really functional and well executed. I would try a Manners. Haven't yet. The hunter stocks need skim bedded in my estimation. The wood is really tough stuff. Not sure where they grow it,but it's good stuff. Just a little too much side play in the 3 or 4 I've owned. The pictured rifle was originally a hunter.

Kraze

FNG
Couldn't be easier... Clean the stock with rubbing alcohol or acetone. Let it dry (like 5 min.) Then paint with camo spray paint. I've used Krylon and rustoleum and they work equally well. On these two, I didn't use any coating. In the past, I've used a spray on matte clear coat. With the sponge camo I don't care if it gets scratched because it isn't noticeable. The "pattern" is just uneven blotches. But it is really durable. I can't scratch it off with my thumb nail if I try. I have one I did 3 years ago, that I've hunted every year and shot with a bunch more, and it looks just as good as when the paint was new. The clear coat just adds time and you actually have to spray the stock, which means masking certain parts. With the sponges, you just spray on a piece of cardboard, dab the sponge, and dab on the stock. You don't even have to mask it off.

Wow, that does sound ridiculously easy and looks great! Probably a stupid question, but what type of sponges are those? I've only seen the regular kitchen sponges in stores, and I don't know that I'd get quite the same pattern with those vs the sponges you used.

Wow, that does sound ridiculously easy and looks great! Probably a stupid question, but what type of sponges are those? I've only seen the regular kitchen sponges in stores, and I don't know that I'd get quite the same pattern with those vs the sponges you used.

You likely want a ‘natural sea sponge’. They’ve got the larger pores to better create that type of pattern. They’re all over online and in the baby or body wash section of the store.

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, exactly what I used. Natural sea sponges. They have an uneven shape and surface. I've never tried but I don't think synthetic sponges would work very well.

Fireguy

WKR
Agreed. Skip the B&C. Use your money elsewhere. I had one and sold it quickly. Too thick and heavy (I'd bet the story is the same with Greyboe). No improvement in accuracy for me. Worked fine but I like the factory stock better. I've gotten to like painting rifle stocks so changing the look is easy. I'm sure a Manners or other carbon-fiber super lightweight would be awesome but to me it isn't worth the money...especially on a rifle that shoots really well already. Here is mine while it was in the B&C.

MBQDxSe.jpg

Here it is now, factory stock, quick and easy paint job(plus my other painted tikka's stock):

oHKhL2W.jpg

Damn we have good taste!
lVyOtgR.jpg

davsco

WKR
Damn we have good taste!

wow that looks awesome also! did you follow same procedure/paints as SEtoNWhunter?

and since we're in the upgrade thread, anyone using limbsaver recoil pads and are they noticeably better than stock, and/or are there better options out there?

wow that looks awesome also! did you follow same procedure/paints as SEtoNWhunter?

and since we're in the upgrade thread, anyone using limbsaver recoil pads and are they noticeably better than stock, and/or are there better options out there?

I’ve got limbsavers on 2 out of my 3 Tikkas. I think they do a great job, especially in the magnum calibers.

Fireguy

WKR

Hahaha he copied me I posted first like a year ago!! But yes I did the same thing. Super easy.

tperkins

Lil-Rokslider
Small upgrade, but I love how it turned out. KRG adjustable buttplate for their Bravo chassis on my factory CTR stock. I can now adjust for height and cant. Doesn't line up perfectly, but it's damn close.

5fvfz3Y.jpg

nVXn0h3.jpg

Last edited:

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hahaha he copied me I posted first like a year ago!! But yes I did the same thing. Super easy.

Yep, Fireguy you caught me... trying to pass off your innovation as my own. Actually, I saw the technique described on another hunting/shooting forum. But, I think it is safe to say Manners beat us all to that style of stock painting.
uvy8qT6.jpg

Sorry, just had to respond to your "he copied me" post... it brought me back to my elementary school days. I agree about our shared good taste though... Tikka SWFA combo is hard to beat. Your stock looks great too!

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
Got my Tikka 270 from my Dealer yesterday. Dick’s had 130g hornady SSTs for 22 a box. Only thing I’m going to change about the rifle is upgrade the bottom metal to mountain tactical when they come back in stock. Thanks guys. Y’all saved me some coin.

Billinsd

WKR
I've always bought B&C stocks for my Remington Model Sevens and M700s. I bought in on the hype and bought a McMillan with edge fill for a Model Seven. I won't make that mistake again. I prefer the B&C over the McMillan by a long shot. The grip is and lines are perfect on the B&C and way too thin on the McMillan. The weight saving ain't that great either.

Also, all of my B&C stocks have been a perfect drop in fit. The McMillan had to be sent back twice and still needed fitting work.
I sent my Savage barreled action to McMillan about 11 years ago to custom bed a new stock for about $900. They sent it back to me and the trigger would bind on the stock and sometimes fail to work. It was an after market trigger from Fred at Sharp Shooter Supply. McMillan paid to ship the whole gun back and forth several times. Finally they blamed the trigger for binding on the stock and said I could either live with it, or they would give me a refund. I took the refund. They are a very stand up company. I'm not real impressed with them, though. I really loved that stock, and was bummed it didn't work out.

- - - Updated - - -

I prefer the B&C over the McMillan by a long shot. The grip is and lines are perfect on the B&C and way too thin on the McMillan.
I've found most rifle palm swells and forarms are too narrow for me. My hands are are on the big side, not super big, but large/xtra large side.

Last edited:

ahcraig87

FNG
Recently upgraded Tikka: Manners, Hells Canyon Armory barrel, Yo Dave trigger spring. First time posting a pic, hopefully it works!

2oeGBL4.jpg

Trees91

WKR
Buy a manners eht and you’ll love it. Easier than buying a b&c and not liking it, selling it for a loss, then buying a manners. And do it now if you want it for next fall. 6 month wait for a manners.