Tikka t3x lite stock modifications

Has anybody kept the factory t3x lite stock and modified it vs buying a new stock? If so, what has been your overall experience? I am considering glass and pillar bedding the action, filling/stabilizing the front of the stock, free floating the barrel and painting the stock. I can do all of that for around $200, which is far less expensive than any aftermarket stock with that level of work done to it. Anybody have opinions?

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I've painted a few. Mine shot well enough for me without bedding or any other mods. Consistent sub MOA with factory ammo. I also had a T3x in a B&C stock for awhile but I sold the B&C stock and put the rifle back in the factory stock. The B&C was a downgrade from the factory in my opinion. Heavier and thicker all around. No more accurate.

Are you trying to get it to shoot better? How does it shoot now?

Here are two I currently have (30-06 and 6.5):
oHKhL2W.jpg

Here it is with the B&C:
SNYxd4E.jpg

Last edited:
I've glass bedded a beater Tikka factory stock before as an experiment, but there was really no point. Getting the bedding to stick to the plastic takes some serious prep work, and bedding around that lug is a pain in the neck. Didn't shoot any better either.

"Free floating" the barrel is just a matter of removing the plastic nubs about 2" in front of the action. Takes about 30 sec with a sharp chisel, but again that's very unlikely to make a difference. I also found the foreend plenty stiff as injection molded stocks go. It's not a cheap one and it won't contact the barrel like many brands.

Painting it is about the only mod possibly worth doing, and then only if you don't plan on selling it. Unless you are a real pro, it will may damage the resale value.

With Tikka's, the purpose of buying a new stock is generally to get one in a different style or weight. Not so much to improve on the guns inherent accuracy.

OP
E
It's still in the break in process but I am getting moa or better so far from the bench. My only reason for wanting to reinforce and free float is because I have heard complaints of bipodd having a negative effect on that pressure point (can't confirm because I haven't shot it yet with a bipod) and recoil lug damage with mag calibers (Mines a 7mm rem mag). I figured if I were already doing that I'd might as well go all out. Although if people are having great experience without it I may hold off. And the paint is just because I want to, no real necessity, it just adds a personal touch.

- - - Updated - - -

I've painted a few. Mine shot well enough for me without bedding or any other mods. Consistent sub MOA with factory ammo. I also had a T3x in a B&C stock for awhile but I sold the B&C stock and put the rifle back in the factory stock. The B&C was a downgrade from the factory in my opinion. Heavier and thicker all around. No more accurate.

Are you trying to get it to shoot better? How does it shoot now?

Here are two I currently have (30-06 and 6.5):
oHKhL2W.jpg

Here it is with the B&C:
SNYxd4E.jpg

That paint job looks awesome!

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yea, every tikka I have owned or seen shot, shot great. I'm sure there are bad ones out there, but I'd bet they way are less common than some other rifles.

The tikkas lug will always be in contact with the action, even if bedded, so that will not prevent deformation. Plus if you have a T3x it has a steel lug, not aluminum like the T3. Although, I'm not sure it matters. I had a T3 30-06, that I shot a bunch and never saw any more than a tiny mark on the recoil lug. It looks about the same in the T3x. I really doubt it would ever affect accuracy but it is possible I guess. I don't shoot off a bipod, but the foreend is pretty stiff. Much stiffer than some other rifles. I'm sure there are lots of other folks who can speak to using a tikka with a bipod. I'm not trying to dissuade you from doing the work on your rifle. You should set up your rifle however you want it. But, spending time and money on ammo and shooting is the way I would go. Yea, and paint it up however you want it to look. $20 for a lifetime supply of camo spray paint isn't too painful...

OP
E
Thanks for the input! It seems like the factory stock is pretty solid from the people I have talked to. I have read some horror stories, but like you said those are bound to happen. Did you do a write up on your paint job, or do you have any advice on how to best prep the stock for painting? I've also read that the polymer used in the stock can be difficult to get paint to adhere to.

The changes I’ve made to the factory T3X stock:
-Replaced standard grip with the vertical grip for $25
-Sanded the barrel channel to free float the barrel
-Added foam and tape to give a better cheek weld.
-Limbsaver pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
It's still in the break in process but I am getting moa or better so far from the bench. My only reason for wanting to reinforce and free float is because I have heard complaints of bipodd having a negative effect on that pressure point (can't confirm because I haven't shot it yet with a bipod) and recoil lug damage with mag calibers (Mines a 7mm rem mag). I figured if I were already doing that I'd might as well go all out. Although if people are having great experience without it I may hold off. And the paint is just because I want to, no real necessity, it just adds a personal touch.

- - - Updated - - -

That paint job looks awesome!

I put my Tikka t3 30-06 in a bell and carlson stock and it shot about the same as the factory. When using a bipod however it significantly changed the POI using the BC stock. Groups were all over the place due to the flimsy forend. Also on the BC stock the sling swivel broke off when using the bipod. That stock was the cheapest and worst stock I've been through. They OEM them for other companies like Weatherby. It's basically a throw away (at least for me). I went back to the factory stock. You can shave weight with a Mcmillan hunters edge which is the only upgrade probably worth it for that reason alone and aesthetics.