New elk/deer caliber recommendation?

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for Tikka. Great rifles for pretty reasonable price. Cartridge? Hard to go wrong with any of the usual suspects from 6.5/.264 up to the middle of the road .308s. Good bullets matter a whole lot in my opinion, and if you're shooting factory all copper/monos you'll be just fine in that regard. So, 6.5cm, .270, 7mm-08, .280, .308, 30-06, etc, etc. MV of at least ~2600, which all can EASILY achieve. Inside of 300yds I doubt you or the animal will know the difference. .270s aren't fashionable which means they can be found cheap, and a solid copper bullet at 3000+ fps is a real serious killer. This coming from a guy who doesn't currently own a .270... Get whichever one you like and shoot as much as possible. Maybe pick up a cheap .22 for yourself for Christmas?? With good technique, ear pro, and practice none of the standard cartridges should lead you to a flinch.

OP
F

flywilks

FNG
All super helpful replies.

Thank you guys.

The only reason I didn't include the 270, 7mm-08, 30-06 is more pricing/availability. I'd be fine with the standard tikka, but...SW has been pricing their T3x left hand superlites less than the T3x SS. So it has been cheaper to (consider) pick up a superlite LH 308 or 6.5CM than any of the regular stainless models, and only those two calibers are made in superlite. With their current special, it's an even more aggressive price delta.

- - - Updated - - -

Is the 30-06 too much recoil for you? If it is the 308 is going to be the same thing.
If I were to start over again I would go with the 6.5, as it stands I started out with and have had no problems with the 30-06. It really is going to boil down to personal preference as both will kill deer and elk.

To be honest, I'm not sure. I'm a decent sized guy, but very limited time behind a rifle, and no instruction or mentorship. This 30-06 is the only rifle I've really used. I was successful with it this year, but I definitely noticed myself starting to flinch after several rounds at the range. No problem on the shot that counted.

As to the other folks questions - Current rifle is tikka, 30-06 stock pad. Lightweight scope. Seems to kick, but little to compare to. I'd like to get be a confident shot with a versatile 1rifle quiver, which requires more range time and comfort with chosen caliber.

It seems like a limb-saver pad is generally a recommended add-on, that will be on the list.

I've looked into brakes, I don't think that is the direction I'm going to head

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe pick up a cheap .22 for yourself for Christmas?? With good technique, ear pro, and practice none of the standard cartridges should lead you to a flinch.

Spot on! I feel that I skipped a few steps jumping straight in. I'm also backing up and plan on the .22 approach for sure! Thanks for the advice.

Tod osier

WKR
In just a quick look, it looks like the 6.5 cm copper leadings are the most sparse of the bunch. Lots of options for 308 and 30/06 in copper. The 308 tends towards the 130s and 150s in copper and they will recoil less than 150s and 168s in a 30-06 which are most common.

Both will get the job done, personally I'd go .308 of the two listed. I think the ammo will be easier to come by, there is a great deal of factory ammo options, and I think overall its a great option. Ill echo what some other have said as well, and I wouldn't rule out .270, which is another amazing round that has stood the test of time. Either way you go, you will be happy! I am a new tikka owner, and so far this thing is amazing!

OP
F

flywilks

FNG
Thanks all.

Lots of votes for the 308, sounds good to me.

Interesting the support for the 270, not one that was generally on my radar. All said and done though, it looks like the 308 is substantially cheaper, without much downside.

Follow up question to anybody still reading...

I was thinking I'd get a .22 for cheap and fun practice, working on general marksmanship. I was looking at one of the LH savages or maybe CZ 452 if I find the cash. I see that Tikka is now making a .22, but only RH, and fairly pricey. Is there a significant muscle memory advantage to having identical stocks on 22 and 308 rifles, or do you think picking up and practicing with any bolt 22 is good enough?

elkguide

WKR
In a "perfect" world, yes, you should shoot the exact set up. However, most of us live (and work) in the real world and would rather use some of our "free money" to go on a hunt. I shoot several different .22's along with my hunting rifles, and when the weather is just too cold and it is dark before I get home from work (like a few minutes ago) I go into my basement and shoot a pellet rifle just to keep the sight picture of cross hairs on a deer, fresh in my mind. I try and shoot all year round and find that as long as I shoot regularly, I'm a much better shot when a live animal steps in front of me.

SHOOTING ANY WEAPON IS FUN!!!!!!

OP
F

flywilks

FNG
In a "perfect" world, yes, you should shoot the exact set up. However, most of us live (and work) in the real world and would rather use some of our "free money" to go on a hunt. I shoot several different .22's along with my hunting rifles, and when the weather is just too cold and it is dark before I get home from work (like a few minutes ago) I go into my basement and shoot a pellet rifle just to keep the sight picture of cross hairs on a deer, fresh in my mind. I try and shoot all year round and find that as long as I shoot regularly, I'm a much better shot when a live animal steps in front of me.

SHOOTING ANY WEAPON IS FUN!!!!!!

HA! Yup, fair enough.

Fatcamp

WKR
Lack of recoil with the Creedmoor has me really liking it. Had a bunch, and round for round shoot it very well compared to the others.

If you are planning on sticking solely with factory ammo and want to start with a loaded down ammo just to get accustom to you rifle I think 308 is a great choice with a large variety of factory loadings and options.

I would not overlook the 7-08 especially if the 30-06 you were borrowing was a little heavy for you.
but remember in felt recoil the weapon plays a big part in it so I would avoid an ultralight rifle in your purchase. Packing a little extra weight will be worth it when you have the peace of mind that you shot your rifle enough to be effective.

Thanks all.

Lots of votes for the 308, sounds good to me.

Interesting the support for the 270, not one that was generally on my radar. All said and done though, it looks like the 308 is substantially cheaper, without much downside.

Follow up question to anybody still reading...

I was thinking I'd get a .22 for cheap and fun practice, working on general marksmanship. I was looking at one of the LH savages or maybe CZ 452 if I find the cash. I see that Tikka is now making a .22, but only RH, and fairly pricey. Is there a significant muscle memory advantage to having identical stocks on 22 and 308 rifles, or do you think picking up and practicing with any bolt 22 is good enough?

.22’s are great for practicing sight alignment, trigger squeeze, etc, but IMO the complete lack of any muzzle blast and recoil keeps them from being a helpful tool to cure a flinch. I greatly prefer a .223 for that as it gets you used to the “feedback” from a rifle without being the slightest bit uncomfortable. I can easily go and shoot 100 rounds while still having fun.

Mine is the same make and model, and set up very similarly to my other hunting rifles to make practice consistent. Obviously ammo costs more than a .22, but it is still significantly cheaper than most hunting ammo.

One rifle for both elk and deer?

.270 - BC's are good with lighter bullets (deer). BC's are also good for heavier bullet offerings.

Better BC's for down range performance is what you're after, and you can get a box of factory ammo at a local ACE Hardware if the need arises.

elkduds

WKR
One rifle for both elk and deer?

.270 - BC's are good with lighter bullets (deer). BC's are also good for heavier bullet offerings.

Better BC's for down range performance is what you're after, and you can get a box of factory ammo at a local ACE Hardware if the need arises.

Also suitable for varmints. Mono bullets let the old school 270 penetrate like a 308 cal on elk-sized game, w flatter trajectory and less recoil. My 6.5# 270 gives up about 100 fps velocity/100 yds of effective range w same weight bullets, compared to my 9# 7 rem mag. 140 gr from the 270 has almost exactly the same ballistics as 160/7RM. I have both, the 270 gets most of the work.

YBPS

WKR
If you are gonna shoot elk, get a 30 or a big 7. There are a lot of guys shooting elk with a 6.5 CM. But I think a bigger gun is better. Elk are big and they are tough. A good shot with a 180 grain bullet or larger will never disappoint.

If it has to be short action and standard bolt face i would go 7-08 or 308. If you will move up to a mag bolt face a 7wsm would be a fantastic balance.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
I know it's not on your list, but I'll echo what others have mentioned regarding the 270, especially with factory copper rounds. 129 grain Barnes LRX out of my 22 inch featherweight gives way more range than my Christensen Arms 308 did when shooting mono's. It's a flat shooter too and the recoil is practically nil - I too am somewhat recoil sensitive. Regarding range - it's good to know your max range for an initial shot, the extra range however is very important in the scenario where a bull has been hit but then is able to move a couple hundred yards further out and subsequent shots are necessary. It's a low probability scenario but it can happen and being prepared for it because of practice will inevitably reduce the probability of said scenario playing out because practicing out to 300-500+ makes the 250 shot that much easier.

I'll also echo a 223 trainer instead of a 22lr. While both have their merits I always grab my 223 for this purpose because it's more "rifle" than plinker and the feedback you get is more valuable to me in a training scenario than that of a 22lr. Moreover, shooting a 223 at 300+ yards will provide improved similarities relative to your "big" gun than a 22lr will when it comes to things like estimating holdovers and wind adjustments.

Another point to consider is that while a recoil pad will help, stock design is a huge issue to concern yourself with. I've had no fewer than 4 300wsm's in my safe over the last 2 years and I was ready to give up due to recoil and what I figured was my inability to shoot that chambering well. I took one more chance and bought a used Winchester EW 300wsm and the minor differences in the stock dimensions and angles made all the difference in the world, it has a bell & carlson stock whereas my supposedly super duper Nosler M48 also had a bell & carlson but the minor LOP difference and comb height/angle completely altered my comfort with the recoil that platform produces. That said, I'm good for about 5-10 rounds through the winny, then I switch to my 223, usually for the rest of my outing. With my 270 I'm good for 20-30 rounds before I switch to the 223.

Whatever you get, buy a shitload of ammo and get out at least a couple times per month - in the heat, cold, wet, snow, wind, humidity...whatever...just shoot in all types of conditions routinely and in a years time you'll be supremely confident.

Tikka 300. WSM in a great round for elk/deer size game. You might be overthinking the recoil causing flinching. If it is a large concern I would recommend getting a lower caliber to hunt small game and practice with. Use the lower caliber for practicing your shot sequence and trigger control. You can also practice SAFELY dry firing any gun that is centerfire.

i'd take the 270

my 308 was turned into a 358 (my primary rifle)

my 6.5 Creed went to a friend and hes using it as a yote/deer gun

Last edited:

Bkottke35

WKR
Of the choices you indicated, you can’t go wrong with either. The 270 as other stated as well as the 7mm-08 would be good choices. Personally I’ve got a 6.5 creedmoor in the Tikka T3x superlite (have yet to harvest an animal with it though). Mine shoots the 127gr Barnes factory loaded LRX fantastically.

Pick one; buy some ammo and go shoot. Find what it likes; buy a case of it and go shoot some more.

Don’t forget a good scope. I’ve been liking the Leupold CDS scopes lately. Each turret I’ve had cut has been spot on.

Good luck!

mcseal2

WKR
I would also pick the 270 for all the reasons listed. It offers some good 140gr loads that push a tough bullet in the area of 3000fps. I didn't use a all metal bullet but have taken elk and deer further than your max distance with the 140gr Accubond and been happy with it.

They will all work. I just like the long 140's from the 270 at higher velocity better than the lower velocities with similar length bullets from the others. My experience with all metal bullets is limited, but I like to have good speed behind them to ensure good expansion. I am currently using the 180gr E tip from my 300 win mag at 2900fps. I shot a deer at 370 yards this season and recovered the bullet. It did really well with an impact velocity around 2075fps, but I'm not sure how much slower it would have still expanded that well. You might want to look at where the 308 loads you are thinking of drop below 2000fps and see what range that is. 350 yards might be close to that limit.

I shoot a 264 win a lot with 140's now for similar reasons. I have always had good luck with a 140gr bullet at around 3000fps from a 270, 280, 264 win mag, I like that combo. It hits hard and shoots flat with acceptable recoil. I had a light 7 mag that I elk hunted with using 160gr Accubonds at 3000fps but it kicked pretty hard with them. I loaded it down for practice and deer hunting and shot 140gr Accubonds through it at 3000fps too. It made a great load for that with much less recoil.

I would absolutely put a limbsaver on the Tikka too. It makes a big difference.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04