New elk/deer caliber recommendation?

flywilks

FNG
Long time lurker, hoping you guys will weigh in on what seems to be a frequent question having read through similar posts in the past.

Hoping to move on from loaner 30-06 that I used for my first season.

Settled on a Tikka, good price:value, and offer a LH version that I'd like to switch to.

As a new shooter, recoil sensitive and wary of developing a flinch, and looking for a left handed Tikka 50/50% deer/elk gun, I've narrowed calibers down to either 6.5CM or 308. While hunting, I'll be using factory copper only ammo as well.

Anticipate limiting my shots to 250yds initially before maybe reaching to 350. Not looking to be a long range guy.

Seems the 308 will do all I'll need, but not sure how much of an advantage the lower recoil of the 6.5 would be? 6.5 has a longer factory barrel which is a disadvantage to my hunting style, and I've heard some negative feedback on copper/elk ~250yd combo.

Appreciate your thoughts.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
If elk is a regular target then I say definitely go 308. Sure the 6.5 will kill an elk and some people will argue how amazing and sexy it is. Under 300 yards for elk, I'll, take that slow heavy 30 cal. bullet all day. Not to mention the 308 is a great deer round.

hodgeman

WKR
For an "all around" rifle...the .308WIN is tough to beat...especially at the ranges you're talking about.

Nothing wrong with a 6.5 or a 7-08 either....and truthfully, you could take the 6.5, 7-08 or .308 and hunt for a decade and the critters would never know the difference.

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
There's a lot of guys on here with more knowledge than me so take it with a grain of salt but I was working through this exact same scenario and decided on the .308. Nothing against the 6.5 but if your shots are 300 and under then why not? You get extra assurance for elk, ammo is more plentiful both to buy and reload, a 308's recoil is still manageable, manufacturers make almost any rifle model in a 308, and it'll do everything you can ask for a deer rifle. If it comes down to recoil there's plenty of recoil pads out there to take a little extra bite off.

I also agree with the previous post, whichever one you pick you'll have a great caliber to hunt with.

PNWGATOR

WKR
6.5 CM shooting Hornady 147 eldm topped with Sportsmatch rings and a SWFA 6x w/Milquad reticle and garden hose washer zero stops. Done.

If you are recoil sensitive, don’t count out the 270. I wouldn’t think twice shooting an elk with my tikka 270 out to 400 yards. My wife killed a doe last year with it at 324 yards. And being a tikka, it’s extremely accurate.

A buddy of mine took his to Africa and killed kudu, gemsbok, zebra, and a waterbuck with it. So it fairs just fine on large game with the right loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UtahJimmy

WKR
6.5 CM shooting Hornady 147 eldm topped with Sportsmatch rings and a SWFA 6x w/Milquad reticle and garden hose washer zero stops. Done.
ELD's aren't copper per the OP's request. Plus with the distances listed, why shoot a frangible long range round?

Muzzle velocity of 147gr ELD per Hornady out of 6.5 CM: ~2700

Muzzle velocity of 168gr TTSX per Barnes out of 308 win: ~2700

308 all day for under 400 yards. With elk on the menu you'll be well suited with the heavier bullet. Or you can go lighter for flatter trajectory. It might not be the hip cartridge, but you'll fill tags just fine!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wiles

FNG
308, way more options in bullets if you reload as well as factory ammo if you don’t.

Mt Al

WKR
Another vote for the 308: fits the bill, tons of flexibility, tough cartridge to beat

Is the 30-06 too much recoil for you? If it is the 308 is going to be the same thing.
If I were to start over again I would go with the 6.5, as it stands I started out with and have had no problems with the 30-06. It really is going to boil down to personal preference as both will kill deer and elk.
I have never bought into the theory of needing a bigger rifle to put down game quickly. Bullet construction and performance will matter much more than 10-20-50 grains of weight.

Pike40

FNG
of your choices I would choose the .308. As mentioned already, the .270 would make this list as well. The other thing to toss on the table is a muzzle brake. You can use it to tame recoil on the bench (please wear hearing protection and be mindful of others at the range) and make a decision to keep it on or not while hunting. I hunted elk for years with a 7mm rem mag and can never remember any recoil when actually shooting an elk.

elkguide

WKR
A .243 has even less recoil and will kill both deer and elk.

I'm a believer in shooting the biggest caliber and bullet that you can handle. If you are super recoil sensitive, there are lots of options to tame recoil. You can add a muzzle brake and a .300 RUM suddenly feels like a .270. Go for a heavier rifle and you reduce felt recoil and in recoil pads there are lots of options that help calm recoil.

If you are locked in to a Tikka .308 or 6.5, I personally would go with the .308.

bhylton

WKR
Went through this with my wife. 308 vs 7mm-08 vs 270win... Tikka. Ended up with the 270. recoil is basically the same with all three, lots of factory options with all 3. the 270 has the edge with trajectory, impact velocity and energy at our intended hunting ranges.

another thing to consider is if your shooting copper bullets, velocity is your friend to initiate expansion.

both with 100 yd zeros

308win 165gr Hornady GMX @2700fps
300yds : 15in drop / 2075fps / 1435ft lbs

270win 130gr Hornady GMX @3050fps
300yds : 10.5in drop / 2440fps / 1715ft lbs

Of your choices with elk on the menu.... i would be in the 308 camp if 270 was not an option.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve got a 6.5 that I bought for my son to elk hunt with. You are going to be pretty limited if you are looking for all copper factory loads, especially for elk. The Creedmoor is s good round though, and the recoil is really light. My little boy doesn’t have any issues with it at all. I like to shoot it as well. I will say, at least out here in Colorado, you walk into a Sportsman’s, Cabelas or Scheels, and it seems like they carry more 6.5 than anything. However, a lot of the factory offerings are match type loads,, not hunting. Another great all-round caliber is the 7mm-08. I took my first deer as a kid with one. I would love to get another Model Seven chambered in that round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phaseolus

WKR
I am wondering what the loaner rifle is and did it have a quality recoil pad on it. My old M77 tang safety 30.06 was a kicker even with a pachmayer pad. My current T3 30.06 with a Sims pad is much nicer to shoot.

BAKPAKR

WKR
Sportsman’s Warehouse has the Superlites on sale for $699.99. The Superlite is now available in a left hand version, and SW has a 308 in stock online. It is advertised as having the longer barrel though. Cabelas has a left hand camo stock version available for about $230 more.

If you’re going with a Tikka, there is no real reason to pick a .308 over a .30-06, the weight and action length will be identical because they don’t build a true short action.

There won’t be a noticeable decrease in recoil, the “inherent accuracy” is irrelevant for hunting, and .30-06 ammo is as easy to find as .308. I suppose if you wanted to shoot milsurp stuff a bunch, but I practice with my hunting ammo.