Large caliber lever action

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
Hi there. My father in-law and myself are looking to buy a short large caliber (45-70ish) lever action. I have found a few that I like, the Marlin trapper and the Henry 45-70 brass. My father in-law like the Chiappa ridge runner. I think they are ugly personally but each their own.

We wont be hunting with it, it will most likely be a sit in the safe kind of gun or might use it as a scabbard gun.

Some recommendations would be awesome.

Thanks

If I were in the market for a 45-70 safe queen that might go up in value I'd probably be considering a sharps. My levers are working/hunting guns.... but if I were looking for a showpiece:

Henrys are well built and their brass (not really brass) have the look of an heirloom but seldom, if ever appreciate in value. Their steel 45-70's are every bit as good as a current production marlin and likely better but less aftermarkets than a marlin.

Marlin... if you can find a JM stamped marlin in pristine condition pounce on it. Otherwise I wouldn't expect it to be anything other than something fun to look at and shoot. When remington/freedom first took over, they had some real qa/qc issues. I think those have been remedied for the most part.

Chiappa... the only one I've been around is the kodiak. Fantastic gun and well built but with the price tag to show for it. They seem to be awfully "niche'y" and most that want one already have one. I don't know that I'd buy one with the thought that it'll become an heirloom someday.

elkduds

WKR
I had a old 444 Marlin. Got it so I could load the same caliber bullets in rifle and 44 mag pistol. It was a sweet gun. My dad took his last buck w it.

2five7

WKR
Older Marlin 1895 would get my vote, likely to keep it's value over time, and a hell of a good hunting rifle if you're so inclined.

rayporter

WKR
my bud and I picked up 45-70 marlins 2 years ago on sale and both have been flawless as well as accurate as heck with the 300 gr bullets.
neither likes the 325.

Yota

FNG
I've only shot one 45/70 which was a Marlin and that was to sight it in for a friend. It was so accurate I got it done with only 5 rounds. I told him that if he ever decided to part with it that he had to let me have first chance at it but it wasn't a safe queen but none of mine are.

TauPhi111

WKR
the gunsmith that i use just told me some horror stories about when he used to work for Chiappa...i was never sold on their brand and now I'm pretty sure I'd stay away from them.

A friend of mine has a 444 Marlin and it's a pretty rad rifle. I've shot it a handful of times and it's a stout gun for sure.

WJS23

WKR
I have a first production run 1895 guide gun and have never had an issue with the thing and is a dream to carry through the woods

rayporter

WKR
caliber wise you probably cant go wrong with a 444 or a 450 marlin. but the 45-70 definitely kills much better.

last year the first shot with mine I killed 2 deer with one shot with a 300 gr HP. this year I tried the 250 grain hornady. just one deer fell.

laff

seriously they can be hard hitters and you can cast your own bullets too. loadem down or load em up, what ever you want.

Personally I like the Marlin the most out of the three for looks but the Chiappa does have the tie in of being an 86' clone if you're into firearm history at all. Cartridge wise, unless you reload the 45-70 is the practical way to go. The 450 Marlin doesn't do anything the 45-70 can't and has a more limited selection ammo choices. If you do something custom there's some old cartridges out there you could bring back to life that are as useful today as they were when levers were all the rage.

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
If you want a large caliber safe queen that will go up in value check out the new Winchester 1886's. They are offering them in .45-90 again as of this year. Of course they come with 24 inch barrels so they are the other end of the spectrum to a short trapper length.

I just read a short article about Big Horn Armory's lever action scout rifle in .500S&W. It sounds like a nice gun if you've got $3,000 for it.

EZDoesit

FNG
I own a Big Horn Armory in 500, early model. Short, stout build and honestly I think the funnest gun I’ve shot. Enough recoil to know it means business but not punishing at all. Didn’t like the price that much for sure and that bullet drop 😳. Oh well . . . Great woods gun and certainly one that will get passed down.

fingers

FNG
I've read advice to by "JM" stamped Marlins for several years but also read, on Marlin forums and elsewhere, that quality seems good again. I bought a 1895 custom shop gun last year and love it. The trigger is absolutely great. Seems very accurate so far. I wouldn't hesitate to by a newer 1895. Just cycle the action and look a the fit of the stock and metal pieces. In addition to the one I bought, I've handled a few other recent ones and they look great.