New Rifle - Rings/Base Advice

fatbacks

WKR
Bought Fierce Edge in 300 WSM on a whim a few weeks ago and finishing getting it setup. I have a set of Low Talley Lightweight rings on the rifle right now, but they seem to really limit scope forward/aft adjustment with this particular action. I think it will be ok as it sits now but I'd like some more flexibility if I need it. Second, I was having issues with brass ejecting and saw that it is hitting the windage knob on the scope and dropping back into the chamber.

All that said, I am looking for ring/base recommendations for this setup. Do I need a rail to get clearance or should I stick with something similar to my current setup. I have Talleys on almost every other rifle and am not too knowledgeable on other options. Weight is not a huge issue but don't want too heavy. This is primarily a hunting rifle, but I'd like to use it to start shooting at longer distances.

TIA

edit: Figure it might be helpful to know that I am using a Leupold VX6hd 3-18x44mm on it.

OP
fatbacks

fatbacks

WKR
df8c8addc30e6c307e43a007fb76101b.jpg

f4fbfed7aa6433c70356efd14515a3cd.jpg

370d87d47e0c7479186fe30c0d8cb1e2.jpg

7287700c0f58f6e9f252bb6e4e743cc8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont have that rifle, but so far my Warne Mountain tech rail, as well as their Mountain Tech rings have been good to me. I just got a set of Nightforce ultralight rings and I like them quite a bit also (probably more than the Warne's, but they are more expensive)

If you turn around that rear ring you’ll get some more adjustability. The Tally’s are reversible. As far as other options, I’m also a Warne guy.

Carlin59

WKR
Couldn’t you just flip the bases around? That could move the scope forward at least an inch and help with clearing brass.

OP
fatbacks

fatbacks

WKR
When I flip rear base around it overhangs considerably... thought the would interfere more. I'll give it a try though.

I’d look into some different mounts honestly so I could have more freedom in exactly where my scope sat.

I only use picatinny rails and quality rings. NF and Seekins are my go to’s. A rail and quality rings provide very distinct advantages:
- Easy scope mounting. Change scopes? Troubleshooting? Easy peasy. Leveling is easy with a deck of cards or a drop line if you have one handy.
- Robust. Peace of mind. Problems happen with mounting systems at inopportune times and troubleshooting can be costly and frustrating.
- Rail cant. 20, 30, 40 MOA rails allow you to gain back lost erector travel.
- Weight. The weight is negligible for the convenience and reliability they provide, IMO.

My $.02. Good luck.

drpacmn

FNG
Fatbacks,
I know this is an older post but I was wondering if you were able to solve the problem with brass hitting your windage knob on your Fierce Edge? I'm having the same problem and interested in any mitigation to resolve this issue. Thank you!

rayporter

WKR
you could rotate the scope 90 degrees and put the windage on top and the elevation on the left. i have done this with about 5 rifles and it is pretty handy to reach both with your left hand.

drpacmn

FNG
Thanks for the advice; my gunsmith actually suggested the same. Frustrating how some Fierce owners report the same problem and others say they have owned 2 or 3 Fierce rifles and never had an ejection issue. I know we have different length actions, scopes, rings and mounts so I’m looking at all suggestions.

rayporter

WKR
the ejection might be cured easily and well, might not. there are a lot of things that can affect the ejection.

i have known smiths to slightly grind an angle on a bat ejector to pop an empty cartridge out that was landing back in the action. spring tension is something that can be changed also. more is not always better.

OP
fatbacks

fatbacks

WKR
Fatbacks,
I know this is an older post but I was wondering if you were able to solve the problem with brass hitting your windage knob on your Fierce Edge? I'm having the same problem and interested in any mitigation to resolve this issue. Thank you!

I ended up selling that and got a long action Fierce. The long actions don’t seem to suffer from the same problem.