rechamber .300 Remington saum to .300wsm?

EastMT

WKR
I think they perform about the same, but WSM seems to be more popular, so more brass around.

JES rebore is the one I’ll be using for a similar project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Thanks coops, I believe you are right. my gunsmith will do it for about $100 to my Ruger Stainless. Excited to shoot it when I get it back . As strange as it may seem I have had great accuracy from the Fusion ammo in .300wsm.

EastMT

WKR
I have a 308 that shoots federal red box 180 gr partitions so well that I haven’t bothered reloading. I ordered 250 partitions to reload, and they just sit in box. I’ll load them someday, maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
After having my 7 SAUM for a couple of years, there's no way I'd jump to a WSM. I've never had a 300, but I'd be hard pressed to change it to WSM.

Kraze

FNG
Just curious, why the desire to switch to the WSM? Is it simply down to factory ammo/brass availability?

OP
kraze, pretty much. I picked the Ruger stainless up and while I have shot it with factory 180 gr. ammo. I have another .300wsm and I just prefer it over the saum. I am not reloading at the present. Having said that, my .300wsm is more accurate than the saum both with factory ammo. Tiny sample size I know. Just my experience.

When done I am hoping the rechambered Ruger is also a tack driver. Should be. I wished it had a bit longer barrel though. It is a 20".

Kraze

FNG
Ah ok. Yeah I can see why you'd want to switch to 300 WSM then. There's certainly not as much factory 300 SAUM ammo out there, and if your rifle doesn't like the factory stuff and you don't reload, that definitely would make things difficult! And $100 seems like a fair price to rechamber it as well. Let us know how it shoots once you get the work done!

OP
Update: Ok guys, got my Ruger M77 back. Re-chambered to .300 wsm from .300 saum.

Got a half dozen rounds down range. Shot great for the first time out. Shot some 180 gr. Fusion. I am not going to call them groups as it was more of a function test But they were respectable for the first time out. Feel like it is going to be a great hunter in a great caliber. Thanks

OP
Did a second shoot. 4 rounds. three where with in an inch. The forth was a flier. No doubt my fault.
If I can put three of four moa at 100yds, I am happy. I will try again soon. This was with Fusion ammo too.

RmacG

FNG
Hi all,
Hope this is the place to find the answer to my Question.
I have a Left handed Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 308 and am interested in getting a new barrel fitted chambered in 7mm WSM. My question is , will it be possible?
I understand the bolt face will need to be opened and ill only be able to fit 2 rounds of 7mmWSM in the mag.
My biggest concern is feeding and COAL, the mag box is 2.890 or 2.900", I've forgotten and will need to get back on the length but let's just say 2.89 for now.
It will be used for hunting only and ill be using 140-160gs NAB and alike.
Thanks in advance and your advice will be appreciated.

RmacG

FNG
Hi all,
Hope this is the place to find the answer to my Question.
I have a Left handed Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 308 and am interested in getting a new barrel fitted chambered in 7mm WSM. My question is , will it be possible?
I understand the bolt face will need to be opened and ill only be able to fit 2 rounds of 7mmWSM in the mag.
My biggest concern is feeding and COAL, the mag box is 2.890 or 2.900", I've forgotten and will need to get back on the length but let's just say 2.89 for now.
It will be used for hunting only and ill be using 140-160gs NAB and alike.
Thanks in advance and your advice will be appreciated.
Just checked my book and the mag box is 2.900 internal length.