Chest carry in grizzly habitat

Beckjhong

WKR
Ok, I’m going to try and make this precise as possible as I’ve gleaned a ton of information from the search functions.

For those of you that hunt in grizzly habitat AND carry a revolver/pistol in <insert favorite caliber here> AND carry in a chest pack, what do you like as a setup with spray and nocs?

What I’m considering now is a HPG kit bag with bino pouch. I am aware of the razco on an FHF, as well as the Blacks Creek Raptor.

Anyone have experience with these setups, or other companies to look at?

Is the draw from the kit bag a liability of any significance?

Thanks, Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The biggest issue with the HPG kit bag is that you have to either use 2 hands to draw, one to pull the bag open and the other to grip and pull the gun, or you have to leave one side of the back pocket completely unzipped.

When you say under the bino harness. Is that below it..toward your belt..or between you skin and the binos?

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
In between. Not below. I have a Glock 29 and it works fine.

Forget it’s there actually.

mtnkid85

WKR
I run a Ruger Alaskan in a simply rugged chest harness beside my Kuiu bino harness. I can push it over far enough to almost fit like a cross draw rig. Generally I'm only wearing the gun when we are packing meat though, that much weight on my chest does effect me and its a pain to be pulling two separate harness on and off every time you add/subtract a layer. I feel comfortable only having spray on me during rifle season.

Spray is always on my waist belt while hunting or in my pants cargo pocket while processing an animal.

For archery Im considering the razco setup with a lighter Kimber 357, that way there is still just one harness to deal with while swapping layers.

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
Kenai chest rig with glock 20 and fhf directly over the top. Works great for me. I could see it being an issue with a thicker revolver.

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull that I carry in a Diamond D Leather chest rig.

My Bear Spray is in a kydex holster that I zip tie to a backpack shoulder strap. Then I have another kydex holster for my bear spray that I keep on my belt so I have it without my pack on.

I like the kydex material because it holds the bear spray tight, but you can remove it with one hand and a sharp tug in a hurry if needed.

I didn’t want it connected to my chest holster and possibly be too cramped next to my pistol. Good luck!

Last edited:

wseidel

WKR
Like many others have shared, I wear a Kenai Chest Holster underneath my Alaska Guide Creations binocular holder. I use a S&W Model 69 .44 and the thickness of one on top of the other is a non-issue - for rifle hunting anyway. I find it convenient to carry both items this way and I definately feel more comfortable with my handgun on my chest...rather than in a thigh rig. The thigh rig was fine but my firearm kept bumping in to brush (and moving slightly with each step) plus it's nice not to have that extra weight on only one leg. Most importantly, I want my handgun close if I ever end up in the horrific situation of having a bear on top of me. I carry my bear spray in one of my fanny pack's water holders so I have both options available depending on the situation. Hope this helps.

OP
B

Beckjhong

WKR
Thanks for all the input, all. Sounds like the majority do a chest harness under the nocs.

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
The biggest issue with the HPG kit bag is that you have to either use 2 hands to draw, one to pull the bag open and the other to grip and pull the gun, or you have to leave one side of the back pocket completely unzipped.

Actually no. I keep my HPG zippers at the top corner (on my strong side). I usually leave them a bit open to open with my left hand but I've also trained only using one hand. You just use the index finger (or thumb) of your strong hand to unzip (more accurately rip the zippers open) then you can reach in and grab your gun. Undoubtedly slower than using a dedicated holster or even the two hand method but I like the ability to have some of my most used gear where I can access it without even looking.

OP
B

Beckjhong

WKR
Actually no. I keep my HPG zippers at the top corner (on my strong side). I usually leave them a bit open to open with my left hand but I've also trained only using one hand. You just use the index finger (or thumb) of your strong hand to unzip (more accurately rip the zippers open) then you can reach in and grab your gun. Undoubtedly slower than using a dedicated holster or even the two hand method but I like the ability to have some of my most used gear where I can access it without even looking.

Thanks for this, that’s helpful.

rbljack

WKR
I guess I haven't thought to try that (diamond D harness with gun behind the bino harness). I have the diamond d for my 454, but my thought is that it would be too bulky to wear under my AGC bino harness with everything in there. I will have to pull that out and try it on with the bino harness...but seems like it would be quite bulky with a big revolver. I also have a glock 29 and am considering my options for carry with that.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a S&W .44 mag model 329P in a Kenai chest rig from Gunfighter's Inc. with a Sitka Gear Bino Bivy. Like others have said, the chest rig sits under the bivy (between my chest and the bivy) and I can draw with one hand from under the bivy without having to use my other hand to move anything out of the way.