Cost, approximate, to re-barrel a CTR

BigSky

WKR
I know different smiths, like other businesses, may/will charge different amounts. However, generally speaking, what does it cost to have a gunsmith remove the current barrel and install another? This is assuming you already have the new barrel in hand. I've never had it done. I don't know if it specifically matters; but, it's a Tikka CTR.

My pricelist breaks down like this:

Chamber and fit barrel to action: $350
Thread/time/blend a side ported brake: $150
Cerakote barreled action: $175
Pillar bed stock: $150

Mike

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Holy Crap!!! It's cheaper to sell the barreled action and buy another rifle. Thanks for the info pods8.

If the caliber you want is available in a factory rifle and that rifle provides the performance level you want then yeah. If you want a premium barrel on a rifle and/or a custom caliber then you pay the fiddler. There are some "prefit" barrels that are already chambered that use a barrel nut but you'll need tools to cleanly get the barrel loose and go/no-go gauges to install the new one.

OP
BigSky

BigSky

WKR
If the caliber you want is available in a factory rifle and that rifle provides the performance level you want then yeah. If you want a premium barrel on a rifle and/or a custom caliber then you pay the fiddler. There are some "prefit" barrels that are already chambered that use a barrel nut but you'll need tools to cleanly get the barrel loose and go/no-go gauges to install the new one.

I have understood that since I was 8. Luckily, I have always been able to avoid that headache based on my own preferences. Now, with the information I sought with this post, I know that re-barreling for "my purposes" is just not cost effective. Thanks all who responded.

rayporter

WKR
my smith charges 200$ to chamber for custom actions.

I call a barrel supplier and have the barrel shipped to him and he chambers it and mails the barrel to me to install. really easy- just unsrew the old barrel and screw on the new one.
Home