.300 RUM question

PredatorX

WKR
Are there any downfalls to downloading a .300 rum? I mean from the obvious. .300 rum seems like a pretty versatile caliber if the downloading works as expected.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

You just gotta watch which powder you do it with, lest you get a hangfire or something.

hodgeman

WKR
Remington used to market "Power Level" ammunition more or less specifically for the RUMs...They loaded them down to the 30-06 and .300WM levels.

You might be able to find the load data to replicate those discontinued factory loads. Generally, downloading big cased cartridges isn't something to be done willy nilly.

Wapiti1

WKR
Accurate Arms has good data using AAC-5744 for reduced power loads in the RUM.

Otherwise, the lowest load in the reloading manual is the minimum safe load for that powder.

Jeremy

mtmuley

WKR
Why? The RUM was developed to fire big .30 caliber bullets at high velocity. At least that's what I do with mine. mtmuley

OP
PredatorX

PredatorX

WKR
Why? The RUM was developed to fire big .30 caliber bullets at high velocity. At least that's what I do with mine. mtmuley
I was hoping to add some versatility to use on whitetails without blowing them to smithereens.

mtmuley

WKR
I've killed a lot of antelope with my .300 RUM and a 200 grain Accubond at 3200 fps. I've never blown one to smithereens with that load. Bergers were a different story. If meat damage is a primary concern, use a quality mono like the Hammer Hunters. mtmuley

YBPS

WKR
210 Berger does the trick. Should be able to get 3050 FPS with 90-92 grains of retumbo.

Are there any downfalls to downloading a .300 rum? I mean from the obvious. .300 rum seems like a pretty versatile caliber if the downloading works as expected.

Can't get the bullet close to lands without special mag box that is enlarged from normal size.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: