Reduce weight on Ruger varmint rifle

I am trying to sell a Ruger M77 Mark II 22-250 without much luck. It has a bull barrel and a laminate target stock. It probably weighs 12-13 pounds. Since I bought a Tikka 243, I rarely shoot this rifle because of its weight. If I can't sell it, I was thinking of replacing the stock with something lightweight and replacing the barrel with a sporter barrel. Has anyone here done something like this with a similar Ruger?

Bell and Carlson makes a Carbelite stock for under $200. I was thinking of getting a 22" replacement barrel for around $200. I would probably have another $200 into it for gunsmithing. Does this sound doable for $600?

I just want a decent varmint gun that I actually feel like packing around a little and letting my son use when he gets a little older.

hodgeman

WKR
Truthfully...you can buy any number of much lighter rifles out there and have less into it than the gunsmithing and parts to convert a bull barreled Ruger. By your estimate, you'd be $600 into it (and I'd think you're a little low)...and for $600 you're easily into a Ruger American or Savage Axis and a scope, pretty much at a Tikka, and probably a bunch of others as well that are a bunch lighter and shoot great.

Considering what you're starting with, it's a pretty tall order to trim something like that on a budget.

OP
JohnyRingo
I'm actually looking into having the bull barrel turned into a sporter barrel. After that, I will look into a lighter stock. It's a wedding present from my wife and I would prefer keeping it and shooting it instead of having it sit in my gun cabinet.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm actually looking into having the bull barrel turned into a sporter barrel. After that, I will look into a lighter stock. It's a wedding present from my wife and I would prefer keeping it and shooting it instead of having it sit in my gun cabinet.
I had a barrelled action fluted by twisted barrel in Wyoming. He can do the barrel without separation from the action so cost is more reasonable. Not sure how wieght would compare for you though.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
JohnyRingo
I just had a gunsmith quote me $80-$100, plus shipping, to turn it down. I can't imagine fluting would be that cheap or that productive in reducing weight.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just had a gunsmith quote me $80-$100, plus shipping, to turn it down. I can't imagine fluting would be that cheap or that productive in reducing weight.
I misunderstood and thought you were getting a new barrel with sporter contour. Yes I agree that's going to be the cheapest option to save barrel wieght.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
JohnyRingo
Yep. I knew the way I worded it, that it might sound like I was buying a new barrel.