savage 110 storm & proof barrel?

davsco

WKR
trying to find or build a nice LEFTY elk gun in 300wsm or win mag. a lefty tikka t3x will surely get it done. but what about getting a savage 110 storm and throwing on a proof carbon fiber barrel (which they make pre-fit for savage rifles)? anyone have the 110 storm and can comment on how good or bad the stock is, and whether or not inletting it some for the larger barrel profile is doable? any other input or ideas? the savage/proof combo would prob come to $2k with some of the ancillary items i think i need (go/no go gauges, etc). is that just throwing a grand down the drain vs the tikka?

Apollo117

WKR
First, I'm a big Savage fan. However, you'd be throwing money away buying a Savage and trying to turn it into an elk gun with just a carbon fiber barrel. The synthetic stocks that come with Savage rifles are comparatively junk. Even the Accustock is comparatively junk.

If you're dead set on using a Savage, find a donor rifle or bare action, buy the Proof barrel, and have Stockade make you a stock. Get a replacement barrel nut and recoil lug from PTG too. With a barrel wrench, a set of gauges, and some bedding compound you can put the whole rifle together in your garage. You'll be lucky to be under 8.5 pounds. Finished cost would probably be close to $1550 ($850 for barrel + $450 for stock + $250 for donor action)

I own several Savage rifles. They all shoot great. My only Savage rifle I consider an elk gun is my model 16 LWH in .308.

6 months ago I bought my first Tikka. A T3 Superlite in .270. It's awesome. I'm very pleased with the weight, quality and accuracy. I haven't even started reloading for it yet and I'm getting sub MOA groups.

Sorry for the long post. You'd be much better off starting with the Tikka IMO.