Coopers New Model 92 Backcountry

Adubs

FNG
300 win mag with a swaro Z8I 2-16 and ballistic turret. Will be working up loads coming up shortly but excited for elk hunting this fall and my 2020 Dall Sheep hunt with Stan Stevens MMO!!! I’ll have a lot of rounds down range and a few hunts with this setup prior to my bucket list sheep/mtn caribou hunt. So excited about this combo, I’m like a kid on Christmas morning every time I open the safe to look at it. The bipod is on primarily for the pic, I don’t plan on hunting /shooting with it on. Need to get used to shooting prone off my pack 😉 View attachment 69433

Adubs

FNG
Shot a few rounds out of mine yesterday and found a winner. I’m shooting 180 grain Barnes tsx, with 70.5 grains of IMR 4831. Shot a three shot group at 200 with same hole punched twice and the third round cut those two. Very happy with this rifle!! **edit** tried attaching picture but it won’t for some reason...;-/

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Shot a few rounds out of mine yesterday and found a winner. I’m shooting 180 grain Barnes tsx, with 70.5 grains of IMR 4831. Shot a three shot group at 200 with same hole punched twice and the third round cut those two. Very happy with this rifle!! **edit** tried attaching picture but it won’t for some reason...;-/

Good to hear. That’s why we like Cooper. Seems a few of these guns have had some issues but once resolved, its lights out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cooper 92 in 6.5 X 284 Norma with what I have learned so far. I tried to upload some photos with no success. Today I shot it for the first time at 100 yards shooting three shot groups. My plan was to shoot Berger VLD hunting bullets as my first choice and try a Barnes LRX BT and a couple factory loads. I shot the factory loads first (Nosler 129 gr LRAB and HSM 140 gr VLD). The HSM shot 1.0" at 3045 fps and the Nosler load shot 2" at 2980 fps. Then I tried reloads testing the Berger VLD hunting bullets and what overall length shot best using a minimum powder charge of 48.5 H4831sc and Federal 210 match primers. The best OAL length was 3.060 which shot 0.6". 3.100 shot 0.8 and the other two shorter lengths shot 1.0". Then I tried the Barnes LRX-BT bullets with 53.5 grains Reloader 22 and Federal primer. Wow!! That load shot great. 0.3" at 3036 fps. I will continue working on the Berger VLD loads, but I think my Barnes load is set. My rifle has Talley lightweight rings and bases with a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 X 44 BT scope and weights 7.19 lbs. The base weight when the rifle arrived was 6.09
lbs FYI

Which rings did you go with? Low, medium or high?

MrMcFly93

FNG
Model 92 300 WSM

300 wsm.jpg
So good looking! Awesome.

I have 3 rifles I am looking at; Kimber Mountain Ascent, Christensen Ridgeline, and this model 92. I have been pretty dead set on the 300 WSM as my caliber of chioce, but the WSM is not available with cooper....

I am looking for the ultimate Deer/Mosse/Sheep/Goat caliber in the 92, which caliber would you choose?

Well boys and girls, hopefully this comes to pass! Y'all as excited as I am?

Jardo

WKR
So I got a letter from Cooper today and apparently they are recalling the guns with tight spiral fluted bolts. Mine is part of the recall.

I’ve pulled the scope and rings and boxed her up. They provided me a ups ground shipping label. Hopefully they can fix it quick. I was going to hunt axis deer in Lanai next month.

Here’s a pic of the notice they mailed me. I’ll keep everyone posted. If you didn’t register your rifle, you may want to give them a call to see if yours is affected by the problem...

74ea652e63c444271eb16a668970158d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

adamjcook

FNG
I also recieved a letter from Cooper about my 92, but I sold it a few weeks ago. I must be the only one who just couldn't make the 92 work. I purchased one in 280 AI and had problems from the beginning. I've always heard great things about Cooper rifles, have several friends who have them and love them but I finally gave up. I just could not get the gun to perform better than 1.5 MOA, even after sending it back to Cooper and having them trade out the too light Jewell trigger for a Trigger Tech, recrown the barrel and work in the action bedding. I tried almost every combination of powder and bullet I thought was even remotely possible, spent almost 2 years reloading for this gun and never had it shoot better than .75 MOA. I'm not pretending to be a great rifle shooter, but I have several other guns that shoot between .2 and .5 MOA every day and have been reloading for over 10 years. I did find out that Cooper tests all their accuracy with severely reduced loads, far from anything you would want to hunt with. Example: the second test target I got with the rifle was shot using 1 gr more RL 19 than the Barnes reloading manual suggests for a 7mm-08 with the same bullet, totally unusable for a 280 AI. The first target was even less powder using a 130 gr Sierra match bullet, not something you would ever hunt with but very accurate I'm sure. Not sure why they don't want to test accuracy with actual hunting loads, but I don't work for Cooper. Long story short, I was pretty sad that the Cooper I had didn't live up to my expectations, but I guess there's always someone who has to be the odd man out. I've decided just to build a 280 AI instead, so hopefully this one will end up being everything I've been looking for.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
adamjccook
Sorry to hear that man. Sounds like they lost a good customer. I wonder why they didn’t give you a new gun

I had the same thing happen with a Weatherby back in 2002. Their guarantee was only 1.5” then and that gun couldn’t do it, even with the ammo they recommended. They replaced the gun and next one was fine at 1” consistently. Hunted with it for 10 years.

Good luck with the new build.

adamjcook

FNG
adamjccook
Sorry to hear that man. Sounds like they lost a good customer. I wonder why they didn’t give you a new gun

I had the same thing happen with a Weatherby back in 2002. Their guarantee was only 1.5” then and that gun couldn’t do it, even with the ammo they recommended. They replaced the gun and next one was fine at 1” consistently. Hunted with it for 10 years.

Good luck with the new build.

There was never any talk about providing a new/replacement gun, but I always figured that I just needed to keep working on load development until the right mix came together. It wasn't until I was 10+ powders (H/IMR 4831, RL19/22/26, MRP, AA3100, Hunter, VN 165, 7828...) and 10+ bullets weights/brands (Hornady, Nosler, Barnes, Sierra, Berger, Swift...) into the process that I started to believe it might be the gun. I'm a little bummed that they had my gun for over a month last summer but never mentioned that there was a recall that affected it, but I guess it's possible that they didn't have the recall set up until later in 2018. Hopefully I will get over my Cooper issue and try another one some day, but it won't be anytime soon. As Townsend Whelen said "Only accurate rifles are interesting", and my Cooper was decidedly uninteresting.