Coopers New Model 92 Backcountry

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hit the Cooper booth at SHOT show specifically to see this gun. They teased us with it at SHOT 2015, but it is here now and ready for order to deliver in late spring. Model 92 is named by weight of the gun- 92 ounces (5.75lbs)

I held and tried the gun for about 20 minutes. It was topped with a 4.5-14x42 Leuopold (I think those scopes are around 20 ounces-chime in if you know) and it handled very well. Quick snap to the shoulder, good check weld for me with fast sight acquisition and of course, lightweight!

At 5.75 lbs naked in a belted magnum, I think you guys are going to be happy. The muzzle-brake is removable but at that weight, I don't want to be the first to try it without.

Available in all calibers from the standard up to the belted magnums (including .338) and coming in under $3,000 with their 1/2 MOA guarantee, this gun is going to rock the lightweight gun world.

Looks like Rokslide prostaffer, Matt Wymer, will be testing this gun in Alaska for Dall sheep later this year, so we'll have at least a pre-review up soon after he receives his gun. But if you like the gun, don't wait for the review. Cooper is a solid company and I'd trust buying one now if I were in the market. Here's a video with Mike Hudgins of Cooper.

[video=youtube_share;PlYm0IbfdS0]http://youtu.be/PlYm0IbfdS0[/video]

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What kind of recoil would a 300 mag put off with the brake? I had a detached retina a few years ago and my doctor told me to stay away from the heavy recoils.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those of you interested in this rifle.... A few questions.. I have a good idea on some of these, but curious as to what others are thinking as well....

What caliber would you order yours in?
Then what would your load be?

Optics?
Rings?

Anything else?

I am leaning toward 300wm, hoping to try the new Hornady bullets in 212gr and the Berger Hybrid in 215gr
Thinking Talley Rings, but I snapped a set of Talleys on my 338wm so pondering other options..

Debating which scope via this thread:
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?39513-Light-Weight-Scope-with-Zero-Stop
Sort of took over jr87mustang's thread, but I hope the conversation is helpful.. Apologize for that jr87!

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
A 300wm would be a great choice and cover pretty much everything but a non mag would probably work just as well. Personal choice so let us know what you get :).

I do like the talley rings and haven't had an issue with them but many have. Have you looked at the DNZ game reaper, I think that is the name, looks to be light weight and stronger then the talley.

Ceby7

Lil-Rokslider
6.5-284 with lightweight Tally's and a Swaro Z3 is my dream rifle, now I just gotta order it!

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its interesting how caliber choices tend to really vary. We all have our particularities as to what we like. Probably not going pick one that everyone likes, but hopefully it will be enough to run the rifle through its paces and see how it performs. All the trimmings are worthless if the rifle won't shoot, but heck its a Cooper so it should be a shooter. (I think I just created their new marketing tag line right there!) : )

NEhunter

WKR
I am looking at possibly buying this rifle either in an 06 or 7mm. My local dealer said they will be ordering them for in store in 7mm and 300 so it will likely be the 7 for me. Optics would be the same that I put on all rifles, the simple vx3

Whisky

WKR
300wm would be my choice with a light to mid weight scope with ability to dial both elevation and wind.

Now here is my dilemma, I can spec a custom for 3k so why buy the Cooper?? Don't get me wrong I'm still interested in the Cooper especially with a .5moa guarantee

Eagle

WKR
300wm would be my choice with a light to mid weight scope with ability to dial both elevation and wind.

Now here is my dilemma, I can spec a custom for 3k so why buy the Cooper?? Don't get me wrong I'm still interested in the Cooper especially with a .5moa guarantee

They'll rebarrel for $125 or $150, can't remember which, but that's pretty hard to pass up.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I spoke with Cooper today and they are starting the process on the build they are sending out for this review!!

Whisky, I asked the question you brought up. However, I think I will wrap up my thoughts on that in my review. Without being able to test the rifle yet, I don't feel I can address your question. I think the answer will vary between us based on our expectations, relationship with a local gun smith, and personal preferences.

My goal in the end is to explain why I would buy a Cooper M92 over another product, and what I gain in the process, or why I would not. Hopefully testing the rifle will make this crystal clear.

Can't wait to give this bad boy a run!!

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
It has a lot going for it, that's for sure. Not many 300wm at less than 6lbs with a 1/2" MOA guarantee... Got a Leupold VX6 ready to throw on top, probably going to use Talley Rings....waiting is the hardest part.... ;)

Whisky

WKR
I spoke with Cooper today and they are starting the process on the build they are sending out for this review!!

Whisky, I asked the question you brought up. However, I think I will wrap up my thoughts on that in my review. Without being able to test the rifle yet, I don't feel I can address your question. I think the answer will vary between us based on our expectations, relationship with a local gun smith, and personal preferences.

My goal in the end is to explain why I would buy a Cooper M92 over another product, and what I gain in the process, or why I would not. Hopefully testing the rifle will make this crystal clear.

Can't wait to give this bad boy a run!!
Just saw this....sounds like a great way to approach it and looking forward to it.

The backcountry is a sweet rifle that will be a joy to pack around the mountains. I'm not a big fan of brakes but I'll put one on to shoot the 7mag...