Cooper backcountry rifle vs kimbers rain ascent

Cooper guarantees Moa of .5 inch
Kimbers guarantees Moa of 1 inch

What do yall think ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the moa guarantees shouldn't be too much of a consideration in deciding which rifle. What do you like, CRF or push feed? Is the difference in wt. a big deal to you? 3 position safety or not? And also, does one call to you more than the other?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I think the moa guarantees shouldn't be too much of a consideration in deciding which rifle. What do you like, CRF or push feed? Is the difference in wt. a big deal to you? 3 position safety or not? And also, does one call to you more than the other?

I agree; that's some good shootin' at either spec

luke moffat

Super Moderator

I have shot both. Both will shoot loads that will never make sub MOA both will make MOA or better.....still trying to get 1/2 MOA in the Cooper though. I haven't ever gotten a 1/2 MOA group with my Kimber either, but for my uses and distances I hunt generally 1.5" groups at 100 yards are good enough for me.

The Cooper def has prettier lines, but there are def some differences like Troutbum says above.

Push feed vs CRF (if that matters to you)
Mag box is def longer in the cooper to load longer sleeker bullets out longer
Removable magazines on the cooper vs the closed box mag on the Kimber.

I have a review coming out before the years end with info on the Cooper backcountry to further draw out my thoughts on it after having for 2 months now and 4 months by then.

OP
T
I have shot both. Both will shoot loads that will never make sub MOA both will make MOA or better.....still trying to get 1/2 MOA in the Cooper though. I haven't ever gotten a 1/2 MOA group with my Kimber either, but for my uses and distances I hunt generally 1.5" groups at 100 yards are good enough for me.

The Cooper def has prettier lines, but there are def some differences like Troutbum says above.

Push feed vs CRF (if that matters to you)
Mag box is def longer in the cooper to load longer sleeker bullets out longer
Removable magazines on the cooper vs the closed box mag on the Kimber.

I have a review coming out before the years end with info on the Cooper backcountry to further draw out my thoughts on it after having for 2 months now and 4 months by then.

Luke moffat I'll be waiting on that review

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been messing around with a Cooper M92 Backcountry in 300wm. Luke and I both received ours about the same time, but I was consumed with some archery stuff earlier this year that took a ton of my time. I have tried a few loads and haven't really found one I like. So far the best group is 1 MOA and is a Barnes 168gr factory ammo. I'd like to get a heavier load to work. Its my winter project.

With that said it is one of the prettiest rifles I have handled. The trigger is pure joy, everyone who pulls it just smiles. At 92ozs vs 103ozs in the Kimber (factory weight claims) and with a removable magazine its a hard rifle not to like! I topped mine with a Leupold VX6 scope via CameraLand NY and the total package is one heck of a combo.

All I need now is to work out a good load. Really hoping to get the Hornady 212gr ELD-Xs bullets to work for me.

OP
T
High country

It is a rifle that pulls you like a beautiful woman
IT JUST SPEAKS TO ME

choovhntr

WKR
I have been messing around with a Cooper M92 Backcountry in 300wm. Luke and I both received ours about the same time, but I was consumed with some archery stuff earlier this year that took a ton of my time. I have tried a few loads and haven't really found one I like. So far the best group is 1 MOA and is a Barnes 168gr factory ammo. I'd like to get a heavier load to work. Its my winter project.

With that said it is one of the prettiest rifles I have handled. The trigger is pure joy, everyone who pulls it just smiles. At 92ozs vs 103ozs in the Kimber (factory weight claims) and with a removable magazine its a hard rifle not to like! I topped mine with a Leupold VX6 scope via CameraLand NY and the total package is one heck of a combo.

All I need now is to work out a good load. Really hoping to get the Hornady 212gr ELD-Xs bullets to work for me.

I've finally been able to get mine out this month and break it in. Most of the shooting was single round, clean, shoot repeat. Used a few different types of factory ammo to break it in and it was showing decent promise. A little over 1 MOA on the few three shot groups I took. Yesterday however I decided to try some of the ABM ammo with the 215 gr Bergers. Was very curious how these would do in this rifle. Only got to shoot two five round groups due to time constraints, but they were both sub MOA. They do fit in the magazine too (barely). I believe they are loaded with h1000 if I'm not mistaken. Hope this helps. I'm very excited to get back out and shoot them some more because I think the shooter was the only thing that kept them over 1/2 MOA. I'll try to post some pics after my next session.

pldawg

FNG
I love my Cooper Backcountry in a 280AI. .318" 3 shot group and the trigger...doesn't get much better than the Jewell trigger.

I now have a load with a Nosler 150 grain accubond long range bullet that is 1/2"

and I have another stepping ladder powder charge group of 45 rounds ready for testing with the ELD-X 162 grain bullets that I should be able to shoot by the end of the week.

After I get a couple "favorites" I'll go down to 1/10 grain increments and tune it a bit more.

Very happy with my rifle now...I did have an issue with the action screws being loose but once I tightened those down it's been exactly what I was hoping it would be.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've finally been able to get mine out this month and break it in. Most of the shooting was single round, clean, shoot repeat. Used a few different types of factory ammo to break it in and it was showing decent promise. A little over 1 MOA on the few three shot groups I took. Yesterday however I decided to try some of the ABM ammo with the 215 gr Bergers. Was very curious how these would do in this rifle. Only got to shoot two five round groups due to time constraints, but they were both sub MOA. They do fit in the magazine too (barely). I believe they are loaded with h1000 if I'm not mistaken. Hope this helps. I'm very excited to get back out and shoot them some more because I think the shooter was the only thing that kept them over 1/2 MOA. I'll try to post some pics after my next session.
Great info! I really want a hunting bullet like the ELD-X to work so I am hoping to get there. I did some research on loads and am going to load groups of 5 in various power ranges starting at 75grs (H1000) and work my way to a good load.

Is the ammo you used?
http://www.buyabmammo.com/ABM-launc...r-Hybrid-Target-Mission-Ready-Round_b_15.html

choovhntr

WKR
Highly country,
That is the ammo. I know a few guys are reviewing it right now on the long range thread too. Seem to be having some good results also. I hope you can get those eld-x's to shoot for you. Keep us posted with your results.

pldawg

FNG
My Cooper Model 92 in a 280AI still seems to like 58.5 grains of Reloader 19 for the 162 grain Hornady ELD-X.

image1.jpg

Last edited:

ChadS

Lil-Rokslider

Luke did you ever get that review up? If you did I cant seem to find it. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the cooper now that you've had it awhile. I'm eyeballing one in .300WM. Thanks!

treillw

WKR

I have a M92 in 300 win. Been messing with the 215 bergers and 212 eldx bullets and h1000 without too much luck. Pretty frustrated with it. I ran through a bunch of loads prior to the season starting and settled with one that shot 2 moa stringing up and down with the occasional flier to make the group 3 moa max. At least it's up and down and not left and right to compound with wind!

The really frustrating part is that the first three shot group I shot with it after getting a new trigger put in it was .3 moa. Thought I was golden and was ecstatic. The next ~7 shot group I shot opened up to ~3", but you could still see the awesome tight grouping where they randomly connected.

I ran through the gamut of checking everything I could think of without improving results. Check out this thread if you're interested (pics on snipers hide):
Cooper Model 92 Load Development
Cooper Model 92 Load Development | Sniper's Hide Forum

My buddy is a multi time national champion long range shooter. I'm going to have him reload for it and shoot the gun, just to take me out of the equation. If that fails, I'll be trying ~180 grain and eventually 168 grain bullets. Cooper said that the 200+ grain bullets are too heavy for the thin barrel.

Another thing to consider when purchasing the M92 is that the brake makes it bark pretty loud. I feel like I'm going deaf even with doubling up on plugs and quality ear muffs. Considering a suppressor or taking the brake off and just shooting 168 grain bullets with the gun, but that defeats the ballistic advantage of shooting a 300 win.

Let me know if you find a load that it likes - I'd like to give it a whirl.

One thing I've definitely learned is that 3 shot groups don't mean anything.

JWP58

WKR
I checked out a kimber mountain ascent just the other day and was pretty disappointed. The bolt on a savage lightweight is smoother (not saying much) . It was light, that's the nicest thing I can say about them.

ChadS

Lil-Rokslider
I went and fondled a Cooper Backcountry next to a Kimber MA and a Christensen Mesa and a Christensen Carbon Barrel. The cooper felt better than the MA, not even in the same class imo. It was noticeably lighter than the christensens. I was really hoping i wouldnt like it, but that was not the case.