Kimber Hunter stock - "shorten-able"???

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
Has anybody taken a stab at shortening the Kimber Hunter stocks?
The GF needs a new rifle that doesn't start with AR-, and has a short enough stock for her.
She's 5'2" when she stands up and stretches taaaaall so 99% of fixed stocks are way too long. 12.5" LOP is even a touch long for her on something like a Ruger American (youth). I know McMillian or Manners could custom one up for her, but I'd like to keep the total package under $1500 and that starts eating into the budget super fast.
(Not to mention it'd likely have to be a custom barreled action to get what we want)
AKMAN

GKPrice

Banned
Has anybody taken a stab at shortening the Kimber Hunter stocks?
The GF needs a new rifle that doesn't start with AR-, and has a short enough stock for her.
She's 5'2" when she stands up and stretches taaaaall so 99% of fixed stocks are way too long. 12.5" LOP is even a touch long for her on something like a Ruger American (youth). I know McMillian or Manners could custom one up for her, but I'd like to keep the total package under $1500 and that starts eating into the budget super fast.
(Not to mention it'd likely have to be a custom barreled action to get what we want)
AKMAN

shorter than 12 1/2" is getting pretty short - I've cut all of my Tikka stocks, the T3x has more to work with but I only trim 1/2" or so for me - I cut one for my grandson to get him started, had to take more than you're thinking for your GF, I fashioned a 1/2" plywood insert for the hole (took me 20 minutes) so it wasn't hollow at the back and epoxy'd it in but then I just bought a small slip on limbsaver, could have just as easily installed a pad but I saved the piece I cut off for the future so a slip on was easier but it works just fine - When you need to trim one to fit a smaller shooter there's no sense worrying about what's inside it, just cut it and deal with the repair (save the piece), I haven't done either of my Hunters yet but I'm sure I will need to

Hi, I am late to the forum, hi everyone! I have a short LOP. I cut down my hunter stock by 1". Then I took a drill bit and backed down the screw hole "posts", then drilled a pilot hole into them. Then squeezed the recoil pad into the recess of the stock, and screwed it back on. Took about 20 minutes. I will replace the pad at my leisure with a grindable pad to fit perfectly flush with the stock. I might add, also, that I kept the original stock, and additionally purchased a hunter stock exactly the same, from a private individual "just in case." It is the one I have used for my stock shortening experiment! It worked fine. The stock walls are the same thickness as one goes down as are the posts inside the stock that receive the recoil pad mounting screws. It made a good gun much better for me . I am a female with a 12 1/2" LOP, so it was much better. My husband is 6'3" with a "wingspan" so the original stock is a much much better fit for him if need be.

elkguide

WKR
Hi, I am late to the forum, hi everyone! I have a short LOP. I cut down my hunter stock by 1". Then I took a drill bit and backed down the screw hole "posts", then drilled a pilot hole into them. Then squeezed the recoil pad into the recess of the stock, and screwed it back on. Took about 20 minutes. I will replace the pad at my leisure with a grindable pad to fit perfectly flush with the stock. I might add, also, that I kept the original stock, and additionally purchased a hunter stock exactly the same, from a private individual "just in case." It is the one I have used for my stock shortening experiment! It worked fine. The stock walls are the same thickness as one goes down as are the posts inside the stock that receive the recoil pad mounting screws. It made a good gun much better for me . I am a female with a 12 1/2" LOP, so it was much better. My husband is 6'3" with a "wingspan" so the original stock is a much much better fit for him if need be.

Welcome to the forum. Great feedback/info.