Help 7 mm rem mag powder selection

mtmuley

WKR
So I tried the IMR 4350 again with a couple different loads, seating depths and primers. To no avail nothing helped, so i bought some H 1000 to see if i can get better results. One concern i have is, I'm shooting 160 gr Accubonds, Nosler does not have load data for 160 gr AB's and H1000. So looking at the 175 gr bullets it says start at 65 gr and work up. I recently went to Hodgons site and it said for a 160 gr Partition with H1000 start at 63 gr and work up to max velocity of 66 gr. ????????? Originally I was going to start at 66 gr and work up, but now im not so sure. Any advice from those who have done it? Is 63 gr really necessary or can i start higher?

You can use Partition data with Accubonds of equal weight. Saw a post that says the shooter starts at a grain below book max. I wouldn't recommend it. mtmuley

Lazy-H98

FNG
I am seeing good results with H1000 in my Tikka superlite 7mm with 160 gr accubonds. I am still working on a load to fine to it. I have used 66.5, 68.5, and 70 grains of H1000 with federal primer. Seated at 2.80 to the ogive, which is really close to mag length. All three loads have been under 3/4 moa and really close to 1/2 moa with 5 shot groups. If I could shoot better it would be under .5 moa.

I'm new to the board-HvyBeams, what did you settle on using the H1000 for your Tikka?

I have a 2018 Tikka T3X 7MM Rem Mag lite stainless. I've been working up a 160 gr Accubond using IMR 7828. Just curious if you found a sweet spot.

Thanks, Al

I usually start a grain below book max. I haven't had any issues with this.

It's an approach that usually works but a guy could push his luck a little with a hot lot of powder or what seems to be occasionally bad data. I frequently load over book max in some of my pet loads but have seen some book max's that are way higher than where I started seeing pressure signs. I noticed this more on less common cartridges but its worth noting.

For example, the berger manual which seems overly conservative in most cartridges, had 300 Norma Mag max loads that were multiple grains above where i started seeing pressure in a chamber with long freebore.

ed99

FNG
I'm using 68.5 of RL26 in Win brass, with Fed 215 Match Primer, 162 Eld-x, seated out as long, just fitting the mag. Getting 3025 fps over a LabRadar with good accuracy, about .75 moa. I've used H1000, Retumbo, H4831, etc but wasnt getting any velocity over 2925, RL26 really cranks it up, Tikka T3 Superlite. ☺

Ed

n2horns

WKR
H1000 and Retumbo all worked well for me, I stuck with H1000 as it was cleaner and just a tad tighter on SD.

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
I used 64gr RL22 with the 160gr ABs for a long time. They shot very well, about 2975fps. I wanted to see how the 175 ELD-X do this year, so I have some of those loaded up with Retumbo. Both loads shoot about 1/2" groups at 100yds with a Browning A-Bolt II 7RM.

I loaded some 160 gr. accubonds in a friend's 7 mag. using IMR 4350 and had excellent results with it. 1" groups at 100 yds. Tried the same load for my SIL's 7 mag and had dismal accuracy. Tried about everything for powder, and finally tried some IMR 4064 that I use in my '06 and .375 H&H. Worked great, considering I stumbled upon it. It was the last powder I tried.

The only powder I use for magnums is H1000.
You can get a little more speed with some others but H1000 has always given me exceptional accuracy, velocity spread, and it is extremely temp stable.

Just remember an accurate load is far more important than speed.

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Tikka T3 Superlite 7mm rem mag (stock), i am shooting 160 gr Nosler Accubonds through it with IMR 4350 (handloads) the OAL is the length of the magazine (cant remember off the top of my head what it is). I have not been happy with this combo, maybe its the seating depth and maybe its the powder, heck maybe its me but i need to change it up and get this gun shooting right. I have been looking at other powders to use, I would like to still use the 160 AB's but i would be willing to try Berger 168's too eventually. I have been reading and looking up different powders for the 7mm Mag and have come up with these: H1000, RL22, RL25, RL26?, H4831, and Retumbo. Does anybody have a suggestion which one or two I should try? How about seating depth, has anybody found a sweet spot for their Tikka? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

MT
Imr 7828 ssc is a sleeper powder but has yielded great results for me. Usually beats out the rest for velocity too. H1000 and Retumbo can also work well. I’d try two of these listed powders and if the gun still isn’t shooting then switch bullets, try a barnes or hammer bullet and try some sort of cup and core bullet that isn’t bonded. One of them should shoot great.