Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50mm Vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 5-25x50mm review

Like a lot of folks I pride myself on being reasonably frugal when it comes to just about everything in life. Being a father, husband and blue-collar hunter and shooter puts me on the constant quest to stretch my money as far as it will go and still provide me with quality, affordable and functional gear. That being said I recently sold some of my top name brand rifles scopes and went on a limb to try a "newish" company called Athlon Optics.

Now to start it's worth mentioning that I am in no way affiliated with Athlon and I purchased all my scopes from hard earned cash.

Let's get to the meat and potatoes. Athlon is a budding US company that has a great, simple business plan. Sell affordable, functional optics with an unbeatable warranty. That's a pretty though feat in today's optics world. As most people know, good optics are just down right ridiculously expensive and for the blue collar shooter just not practical.

Enter Athlon.
In my opinion Athlon is piggy-backing the success of Vortex and for good reason. There isn't a person in the shooting or hunting Industry that hasn't heard of vortex optics. They offer good products at affordable prices with arguably the best warranty and customer service in the business. So why Athlon?

Well, for me personally I had a couple bad experiences with vortex products and I've had friends with bad experiences and I've watched complete strangers have failures with their products. Vortex customer service was and is top-notch; I just didn't have confidence in their products. I really believe the vortex razor GEN 2 is by far and above one of the best top, precision long-range rifle scopes made. The biggest issues however are the price and the weight. It retails for around $2500 and weighs 3 pounds! The next model like down the Viper series is plagued with known issues (I've personally seen almost a dozen fail). Now hold on all you screaming Vortex fans! Yes I know you have one and you've never had problems. I'm happy for you I really am. I sincerely hope that you never have a problem with yours. Sit tight because I'm going to compare the new Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 5-25x50mm side-by-side and your going to like what I have to say.

Athlon has two dozen different models of rifle scopes and I'm only going to cover the ffp Ares BTR and Cronus.

I'm not going to get into ffp vs sfp but I will tell you this. If you plan on hunting or shooting beyond 500 yards you really should consider ffp. You are really handicapping yourself with sfp.

So let's take a look at each scope!

Athlon Ares BTR
84d511d641ab8d2801307a8d18e9e679.jpg

Vortex Viper PST GEN 2
4eb8e7be82ae05437ea93e1a9cc69aff.jpg

What do I look for in a scope?
-price
-Scope Tracks true and returns to zero
-FFP
-Quality glass
-light weight
-appropriate reticle
-magnification (IMO 4-24x is perfect power range)
-aesthetically pleasing

For all these reasons I chose the Athlon Ares BTR FFP 4.5-27x50mm for my long range hunting gun.
Cost is right around $850 and you get a solid ffp scope that weighs 27 oz. it tracks true, has illuminated reticle and good glass.

The good, the bad and the ugly.
The Ares is made in China and that just sends chills down my spine!!
I will say that I'm shocked at the quality of the glass from China. It's not a Swarovski and it's not any where near the scopes in the $2-$3k scopes. So how does it hold up to scopes in the $800-$1000 range?

Well I've owned a Burris XTR II 5-25x30, Leupold VX-6 4-24x52 and Sig Tango 4 6-24x50 all within the last 3 months. I've shot and hunted with Nightforce NXS and SVH, Sig Tango 6, Steiner Tx5i, Bushnell ERT and DMR II, Vortex Viper pst gen 1 & 2, Razor Gen 1 & 2, Leupold VX3, Mark 4, and a few others not worth mentioning.

I firmly believe everyone's eyes are different but I also believe quality glass speaks for its self. I run Swarovski binos and a Kowa spotter.

In all honesty the Area falls somewhere in the middle. It's heads above the Burris XTR II, Sig Tango 4, Steiner Tx5i and both Bushnells. Although very close to the ERT. The Tango 4 is very close but the eye relief on the Tango is debilitating. Steiner and Burris use the same glass BTW.

I had a chance today to compare the Ares BTR side-by-side to the new Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 5-25x50mm. Here's my thoughts.

The glass on the Viper is slightly better. I'd give it a 7.9. The glass on the Ares would earn a 7.6. The untrained or inexperienced eye won't notice a difference. The Sig Tango 4 would be a 7.5 and Burris a 7.

The turrets controls on the Viper also get the nod. They are hands down 10x better than the Ares all the way around. The only exception is the direction of the parallax adjustment. I prefer the Ares. Overall the Viper would get a score of 9 (locking turrets would be a 10) The Ares is at a 6.5. I prefer a very tactile, loud and positive turret. The Sig Tango 4 would be an 8 and the Burris would be around an 8.5. The Sig Tango 6 and Vortex Razor Gen 2 are 10's. The turrets are by far the biggest down fall of The Ares although they edge out most of the Leupolds I've owned or shot. Pretty much all of the nightforces are 9-10's

Viper turret controls
f86055c0172afdff774da3d56c245c51.jpg

Notice turret markings

Ares turret controls
3fe375af2928eb22357cf4ed07e896d7.jpg

Also worth mentioning is the actual turret markings. I much prefer the Vortex as they continue the markings on the second revolution of the turret. The Ares stops at 24 and upon the second revolution you have to start counting up 24+1, 24+2...etcetera.

The focus diopter adjustment goes to the Ares. It's smoother and easier to grab imo.

The reticle goes to the Viper. They are very similar but I prefer the center cross-hair style of the Viper vs the Ares.

Viper Reticle MIL
e50f5a3c2d6fbcc616b05dd50cce5cf6.jpg

Ares reticle MOA
294b226adeaf5ec4ba1998ad3bd4f738.png

Aesthetically the turret box of the Ares is just downright ugly. I much prefer the turret box on the Viper however, overall I like the look of the Ares better. Just my opinion.

Cost goes to the Ares. $850 vs $1,100. Thats a nice set of rings, a good bubble level and some ammo!!

Warranty? Well I haven't had the opportunity to try out Athlons policy although I would bet given my research that it's right on par with Vortex. I can say the guy I purchased my scopes from was unbelievable!!! I received a free sun shade, scope caps and a throw lever!

Weight goes to the Athlon at 27.5 oz vs 32 oz for the Viper. I will say the Ares feels beefier but lighter.

Which scope should you buy? Well that completely depends on your budget and the options your looking for. I'm very happy with my Ares and would buy a second in a heart beat....oh wait I already did and it's on my long range 6.5 Grendel. I wouldn't however hesitate to buy the new Viper PST gen 2.

What was wrong with the old Viper PST Gen 1? Tracking, tracking, tracking. Few fail right out of the gate but many have failed after months or years of use. It's not really Vortexs fault. Things break over time and I wouldn't be surprised if Athlon sees the same pains. There will always be lemons and Vortex and Athlon have proven their customer service will take care of you promptly.

Overall the nod goes to the Viper. Is it almost $300 better? Well that's a $300 question. If turrets, name and a slight glass advantage are worth $300 then yes it is. If you want to add weight to your wallet, make your money go a little further and make your rifle a little lighter then the Ares is the scope for you!

So what about the Cronus? The Cronus line is made in Japan and it has exceptional glass for the cost of the scope. Mine is the gen 1 model. One thing I really like about Athlon is their willingness to listen to the people buying the scopes. They have made some huge improvements on the gen 2 model and I can't wait to get my hands on one. Specifically they redesigned the turrets for a more tactile feel. I would still rate the gen 1 Turrets at a 7-7.5. They are better than the Ares but still not as nice as ones mentioned above.

The glass is superb and would rate it around 8.5. The biggest advantage of the Cronus is a 34mm tube and 56mm obj. It's a light gathering beast but it also weighs 35 oz....significantly lighter than the Vortex Razor Gen 2. Glass is very close to the Gen 2 Razor with the Razor being a little more colorful (HD). The biggest difference is the price. Shopping around you can get a gen 1 Cronus for $1300. A gen 2 Razor will set you back at least $2,300. It's defiantly not worth a $1,000 more for the Razor imo.

I hope this review has helped just one person make an informed decision on their next scope purchase. If anyone is considering a Athlon scope pm me and I'll send you contact info for the dealer I used. He's a stand-up guy that got me two Ares scopes when one of them was completely sold out.

Also. As of August 18, 2017, Vortex was backordered 8 months on the Viper PST Gen 2. Otherwise I would own one of each!!!

Time will tell on the durability of the Ares. Although I've only owned it for three weeks, I've sent around 200 rounds through my 7LRM and captured a second place finish in a recent Precision Long Range Practical match using the Ares. It definitely got a workout ranging targets from 100 to 1100 yards. It tracked true, returned to zero and had a lot of folks impressed with the glass quality and features.

b670d93a16c43b4212104e83288fede6.jpg

5efa94fe41365be2e63c3f88a15c8e30.jpg

Cheers!!
Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Damn thorough review! I have been running the new Cronus BTR for about 6 weeks and just got in my first shipment of Ares BTR's and I can say I'm impressed so far... if anybody wants to try them, let me know as I have a dealer account with Athlon and they've been awesome to deal with so far. As you say, time will tell on durability, but the functionality of them is right there and glass quality for price a top notch.

OP
danmayland
Damn thorough review! I have been running the new Cronus BTR for about 6 weeks and just got in my first shipment of Ares BTR's and I can say I'm impressed so far... if anybody wants to try them, let me know as I have a dealer account with Athlon and they've been awesome to deal with so far. As you say, time will tell on durability, but the functionality of them is right there and glass quality for price a top notch.

Can you comment or provide your thoughts on the upgrades between gen 1 and gen 2 (BTR) Cronus? How do the turrets feel?

Can you comment or provide your thoughts on the upgrades between gen 1 and gen 2 (BTR) Cronus? How do the turrets feel?

I never got to play with a gen 1 but the turrets on the Gen 2 are great. Tactile,crisp,slightly audible.... zero complaints and I like the zero stop mechanism. I like them better than the NF SHV's I've had in the shop. I've had a couple Gen 1 Razors with the 5 MIL turrets and clicks are on par but I don't think it's a fair comparison between a 5 MIL turret and a 10 MIL Turret.
On par with the Swaro Z5's I've gotten to play with as well.

Mike

OP
danmayland
Thanks for the excellent review. Any thoughts on how the Ares and the PST Gen 2 compare to the Bushnell LRHS? Best, ELN.

I haven't had an opportunity to play with the LHRS model although I do believe it has the same glass as the HDMR.

I will say that the Bushnell in this class have my favorite turrets. Nice low profile with excellent tactile feel! The glass in the HDMR was disappointing to me. It just lacked HD quality and suffered in the low light. I would venture to guess that the LHRS would be worse simply because it's in a smaller tube with a smaller objective. They're still a darn fine scope though. If you can get your hands on one that would be great. I certainly wouldn't doubt the mechanics of the scope. They are built well.

OP
danmayland
Update to this review!
A while back I had the opportunity to pick up a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5x25x50mm. I wanted to spend more time behind both scopes to provide some more insight on the review and provide some actual photos of the reticles and glass.

There have been some developments in the review specifically with the Athlon Ares.

I while ago Athlon contacted me and informed me of a solution for the “mushy” turrets. Simply removing the rubber o-ring from inside both elevation and windage turrets. The turrets are a closed system and there’s no concern for dust or moisture entering the scope with the removal of the o-rings. This easy modification completely changes the feel of the turret and bumps up the Ares score significantly!!

Nothing has changed in regards to the review of the Viper with the exception of the eye relief. It’s worth noting the eye relief of the Vortex is shorter and very noticeable as compared to the Ares. Again the Ares is taking the nod.

Overall the Althlon Ares is making its mark as the better “bang-for-your-buck” scope. Setting the zero stop on the Athlon is light years easier than the Vortex. The Viper is still a fantastic scope and I still prefer the turret feel, markings and reticle if the Vortex over the Athlon but I’d buy another Athlon over the Vortex.

a0c8c28b319a5db30394792dde556998.jpg

009fb066c539382cfc0aec859094ede1.jpg

0bc5503f2c3eb95c272ded6a7d5a406c.jpg

Ares:
d9be2f2cea68d7e0c49584a495726166.jpg

Viper:
9032c6b84d5268d781c5feb9b808eb09.jpg

Ares:
517a1ee0e0c14eea08e0b7ee53ab5f83.jpg

Viper:
1ee281f2a8484a5dd7b72fcabd72384c.jpg

OP
danmayland
It’s worth noting the Athlon is a full 2 inches shorter than the Vortex and about 4 oz lighter!!

How is Athlon ffp reticle at 6x. Is it usable or so thin that it makes it hard to see.

What range and power are your pictures at?

And a little outside the area line but there next line down the midas has some models on sale for 399 at b and h photo. The difference between the midas and ares is sfp vs ffp and no zero stop (although this can be accomplished watching YouTube videos)

OP
danmayland
How is Athlon ffp reticle at 6x. Is it usable or so thin that it makes it hard to see.

What range and power are your pictures at?

And a little outside the area line but there next line down the midas has some models on sale for 399 at b and h photo. The difference between the midas and ares is sfp vs ffp and no zero stop (although this can be accomplished watching YouTube videos)

Those pics are between 12-15x.
I guess it depends on what your trying to shoot and the distance of the target. The reticle is usable as a cross-hair but the actual markings of the reticle will be difficult to use at 6x. At about 10x the reticle and markings becomes very visible and usable.

I put a Midas on my buddy’s rifle. It’s a decent scope but even the zero stop tricks on youtube don’t put it any where in the same league as the Ares.

If your going to do any long range (beyond 500 yards) save your money for a ffp scope.

OP
danmayland
812 yards through the Vortex at 18x

30d6d47ba38bb707829bc27cf8089ea1.jpg

OP
danmayland
I forgot to mention a key difference between these two scopes.

The illuminated reticle.

The Athlon Ares wins hands down. It has a much more crisp and clear illuminated reticle on all of the brightness settings.

The Vortex Viper PST GEN II reticle when illuminated has a horrible glowing effect. The edges of the reticle are washed out by the illumination and makes it very difficult to use.

I’ll see if I can get some pictures to show.

OP
danmayland
Update: some food for thought. I’m still rocking the Vortex PST Gen II on my main hunting rifle this fall for another full evaluation. I took the gun out a month ago and stretched it out to 1030 Yards. Right out of the case it was shooting 3 inches high at 200 Yards. This is odd considering it was zeroed at 200 in the early spring. Outside temp were slightly warmer maybe 20 degrees but I’m using h1000 so it shouldn’t have affected it that much. I grabbed the gun last Monday night and did a quick once over the rifle as I was packing my gear for this weekend antelope hunt. I noticed the windage turret was on 9moa which was about the last dope correction I was making for a 1030 yrd shot in a stiff cross wind. I went to dial it back down to zero and the turret free spun in my hand meaning the set screws came loose. This was obviously quite bothersome considering it was late in the evening and I had zero time to take it to the range before leaving for the hunt. Fortunately I had an hour of daylight and I got it resolved but I was quite disappointed the sets screws had come loose considering I take extra precaution to tighten them after having this happen in the middle of a hunt once with a Leupold scope. Anyway nothing major functionally but just a pita. I’ve never had this issue with the Ares although I prefer the larger set screws of the Vortex still. Just an FYI

OP
danmayland
I had another interesting experience this fall using the Vortex Viper pst gen ii. My rifle took a really hard fall during my mule deer hunt. My sling came off the swivel stud while the rifle was shouldered. The barrel hit the dirt first followed by the top front bell of the scope. I didn’t have time to recheck zero as I was several miles into my morning hunt when it occurred. After hiking out and getting back to the truck I had a split second opportunity on a shooter buck at 400 Yards. I took a rushed shot and missed. Buck got lucky and disappeared to never be seen again. Checked my rifle zero and it was 6” low and 4-5” left at 100 Yards.

I don’t fault the scope in any way. It took a hard and fast fall into the ground but it’s good to know that it’s not bullet proof and advisable that the user needs to check zero after any hard fall or hit to the scope. This should be true for any scope.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I had another interesting experience this fall using the Vortex Viper pst gen ii. My rifle took a really hard fall during my mule deer hunt. My sling came off the swivel stud while the rifle was shouldered. The barrel hit the dirt first followed by the top front bell of the scope. I didn’t have time to recheck zero as I was several miles into my morning hunt when it occurred. After hiking out and getting back to the truck I had a split second opportunity on a shooter buck at 400 Yards. I took a rushed shot and missed. Buck got lucky and disappeared to never be seen again. Checked my rifle zero and it was 6” low and 4-5” left at 100 Yards.

I don’t fault the scope in any way. It took a hard and fast fall into the ground but it’s good to know that it’s not bullet proof and advisable that the user needs to check zero after any hard fall or hit to the scope. This should be true for any scope.

My question is why don’t you fault the scope? If it wasn’t mounts slipping, scopes are aiming devices and there sole job is to steer bullet to the reticle. It’s not “hard” to make a scope that stays zeroed while being dropped, so why not demand it?

Last edited:
My question is why don’t you fault the scope? If it wasn’t mounts slipping, scopes are aiming devices and there sole job is to steer bullet to the reticle. It’s not “hard” to make a scope that stays zeroed while being drilled, so why not demand it?

What scope do you think would be bulletproof?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Wrongside

WKR
I would venture to guess that the LHRS would be worse simply because it's in a smaller tube with a smaller objective.
This is not my experience at all. I own two LRHS 3-12, have shot/looked thru a handful more, and a couple of the 4.5-18. All were much better optically than the DMRII I own, or the ones my buddies own. For whatever reason, the LRHS line has very good glass for the money.

All the Elite Tacticals I've much experience with have been accurate, reliable trackers tho.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What scope do you think would be bulletproof?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mounts and the way the stock is fit and torqued mattter of course, however Nightforce and SWFA SS scope easily take impacts and hold zero even when dropped directly on the scope from shoulder height.