Seekins Precision Havak PH-1 Review Coming!

Got some more rounds through the havak today. Haven’t been home much to load more but tried out some of the new Berger 215 hybrid factory ammo.

First group with a freshly cleaned barrel - 4 shots aligned great for windage but strung 1.25” vertically.

Second group - 5 shots, four of which touching under half MOA, 5th shot was out left opening the group to 7/8”.

Adjusted scope and put two shots .4” apart centered on bullseye. Put a few shots at steel at 740 yards, results weren’t great but the switchy winds were making us look bad with my tack driving 6.5x47 too.

Some reason for hope yet..

I’m impressed with the Berger ammo. LabRadar clocked an avg velocity of 2913 with SD of 9.8 over 13 shots recorded. Comes in Norma brass and is pretty close in price to the hornady precision hunter ammo. Gimme a 215 hybrid @ 2913 with single digit SD over a 200 eldx @ 2958 and 20+ FPS SD any day.

n2horns

WKR
I have one in 6.5 CM and in the final stages of load dev. For the price, it is a good shooter. Even with factory loads right after breakin, it was .5 moa.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have been shooting the Havak quite a bit. Here is the update:

The action started out pretty rough. It is now slick and smooth. The cock-on-close feels much smoother now as well. Cycling the action has become quick and easy. The carbon fiber magazine is finicky to get in and out, but I haven’t had any feeding issues whatsoever and it can accommodate extra-long seating depths.

For accuracy, I have tried all sorts of ammunition and loads. Factory Precision Hunter 200 ELD-X accuracy is suitable with five shot groups right at 1 MOA. Handloads with the 212 ELD-X hovers around 1 MOA with a number of powders and under MOA with a low-SD H1000 load. (Four 5 shot groups averaged .877 MOA). While I have yet to find that bug-hole 1/2 MOA load, the interesting part of the rifle is that there is little difference in zero between loads, with hotter/faster loads consistently printing groups a little higher than other loads.

In fact the factory 200 ELD-X, and my preferred 212 ELD-x/H1000 load print to exactly the same point of impact.

Here are a couple recent groups with the 212s:

db13a336538307a7cb83d5a5281d4a12.jpg

All of my 3 shot groups with the 212 have been well under 1 MOA. I feel like 5 shot groups give a better indication of accuracy and zero, however.

Last edited:

28bang

WKR
I have been shooting the Havak quite a bit. Here is the update:

The action started out pretty rough. It is now slick and smooth. The cock-on-close feels much smoother now as well. Cycling the action has become quick and easy. The carbon fiber magazine is finicky to get in and out, but I haven’t had any feeding issues whatsoever and it can accommodate extra-long seating depths.

For accuracy, I have tried all sorts of ammunition and loads. Factory Precision Hunter 200 ELD-X accuracy is suitable with five shot groups right at 1 MOA. Handloads with the 212 ELD-X hovers around 1 MOA with a number of powders and under MOA with a low-SD H1000 load. (Four 5 shot groups averaged .877 MOA). While I have yet to find that bug-hole 1/2 MOA load, the interesting part of the rifle is that there is little difference in zero between loads, with hotter/faster loads consistently printing groups a little higher than other loads.

In fact the factory 200 ELD-X, and my preferred 212 ELD-x/H1000 load print to exactly the same point of impact.

Here are a couple recent groups with the 212s:

db13a336538307a7cb83d5a5281d4a12.jpg

All of my 3 shot groups with the 212 have been well under 1 MOA. I feel like 5 shot groups give a better indication of accuracy and zero, however.

Funny, I have only used the factory hornady offerings for my 6.5prc and they had the same zero at 100. 143 Eldx load shot better than the 147 eldm load.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This review is pending and we should have it up in the next week or two. Sorry for the delay! Matt sent it in a month ago but the two bumbling editors seem to have lost it!

Outhunting

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered one of these up in 6 creedmoor. Took 2 months longer to build than what they said. When I finally received it I took it out to break it in and sight it in. First trigger pull, click. No primer strike reloaded it. Click. Went to open it and as soon as I touched the bolt it fired and I wasn't on the gun Scared the heck out me. Anyway long story short it only fired 2 out of 6. Sent it in and had it back in about a week. They changed a bushing and trigger. Paper said they test fired 10 of the rounds I sent back and 20 of theirs. When I read that I was pissed because I like to shoot and clean ever shot for the first box. Probably not necessary but I have had great results with other rifles doing it.
Well, I got over being pissed because I took it back out the other day and did a 3 shot group and a 5 shot group at a 100 yards and they were dime size and all touching. Its a shooter with the 103s!

EmanP223

WKR
I got my 6.5PRC after a 9 month wait, haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Bolt felt really stiff initially but after playing around with it it seems to be smoothing out. I'm sure with a few hundred rounds it'll get better. Really don't like that tiny bolt handle and can't seem to get it off.

Also don't like that stock. It needs a cheek riser, almost 1/2" too short. That palm swell is massive with my little hands and my pinky hangs halfway off the bottom of the grip like a Glock 26. Also the LOP is at least 3/4" - 1" too short. And since it's Carbon Fiber it's much more difficult to attach and ARCA rail to it. I think I'm gonna have to get a better stock for this thing, too many deficiencies.

Truthfully if Tikka made a bolt handle for the caliber I'd have just gotten a new bolt for the Tikka and not screwed around getting one of these. This thing better shoot, I'm already underwhelmed with it.

Truthfully if Tikka made a bolt handle for the caliber I'd have just gotten a new bolt for the Tikka and not screwed around getting one of these. This thing better shoot, I'm already underwhelmed with it.

I’m not following, tikka has magnum bolt face actions.

I sent my win mag back for accuracy issues. Below is the work order they sent. Haven’t had an opportunity to shoot the new one yet.

d212388dfe7059cd058e6618d598f071.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EmanP223

WKR
You can find a magnum bolt face Tikka pretty much anywhere? Between 7 rem mags, 300 Wm and the WSM’s there are like 250 different listings on GB right now.

Just the bolt, not the rifle.

ckleeves

WKR
Just the bolt, not the rifle.

Ahh I see. In that case your money ahead to just sell whatever tikka you have and pick up a magnum BF donor. I have done it a few times and it’s usually a straight across trade if your patient.

NDGuy

WKR
I sent my win mag back for accuracy issues. Below is the work order they sent. Haven’t had an opportunity to shoot the new one yet.

d212388dfe7059cd058e6618d598f071.jpg

Sheesh that seems like a hell of a lot of work for a $2000 rifle I hope that was covered under warranty...

FURMAN

WKR
Thanks for the review Matt. The fact that is actually a cock on close action explains why it felt so horrible when I cycled them. I thought it was a poorly timed cock on open action with some cock on close. It looks like a lot of gun for the money.