Leather Hiking Boots Shrunk!

Going into their 3rd Season - Asolo Leather hiking boots. Treated about twice per year with snoseal. I didnt wear them at all since last November. Wore trail runners all summer and Im pretty certain my feet have not grown or stretched.

Went out for a 10ish mile hike and they were very tight (slightly uncomfortable) they used to fit extremely comfortably. Same footbeads and same sock thickness I usually wear. Im hunting this week starting Wednesday-Sunday, anything I can do to stretch them back out?

OP
durangobrad
24 hours on Rokslide with no responses.... I guess its time for new boots.. Luckily its dry enough that I think Ill stick with trail runners for most of elk season.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You might be surprised that your feet have grown it's fairly common and annoying thing for guys.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Might be that you wore them in November (cooler weather), but now they are tight (warmer weather). Maybe your feet are swollen due to the warmer weather?
When I was in high school, I worked in a Western Wear store that sold leather cowboy boots (Justin, Acme, etc). When they were a little tight on a customer, the store manager would spray some rubbing alcohol on them, and tell the customer to walk around for a minute. The alcohol caused the leather to stretch, and after it dried, it fit perfectly taking the shape of the foot. It did not damage the boot, and a little polish you could never tell the difference. I worked there several years, and saw it done numerous times.
You could try rubbing some alcohol on the tight spot, and wear the boots until it evaporates (usually in several minutes). I would definitely re-apply the waterproofing treatment after using the alcohol.

Or as stated in the previous reply, our feet tend to get a little bigger as we age (which is not true for everything ;) )

Last edited:
It happens, especially if they go from soaked to being hung to dry over a woodfire stove or other high heat source. Mine have typically stretched back out with some time in the mountains but if 10 miles didn't do it you might be SOL.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Going into their 3rd Season - Asolo Leather hiking boots. Treated about twice per year with snoseal. I didnt wear them at all since last November. Wore trail runners all summer and Im pretty certain my feet have not grown or stretched.

Went out for a 10ish mile hike and they were very tight (slightly uncomfortable) they used to fit extremely comfortably. Same footbeads and same sock thickness I usually wear. Im hunting this week starting Wednesday-Sunday, anything I can do to stretch them back out?

We always recommend that customers do not use SnoSeal on boots. Leather shrinkage and degradation frequently result. Maybe try a good leather cream or conditioner to repair them. Let them get warm(usually sit in the sun for a while) then slather on some cream and let it soak. The leather might not be as rigid when you're done, but could stretch back out. Hope this helps.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Same with me? Ive used it for years, with great results. Gloves, boots, etc...

Mainly on our Pac Boots, for some reason it doesn't work well with oil-tanned leathers. Less common on mountains boots, but we do see it from time to time.