Boot Questions Zamberlan/Asolo

gethuntin

WKR
Been looking at the zamberlan 960 guide boots and the 996 vioz gtx wns whatever that all means. Wondering how they are in comparison to stiffness. I have Cabelas Meindl Perfekt hikers to compare to and for a short time a pair of Asolo mountain boots although i dont remember the name. I understand both are European brands and one thing i disliked with the Asolos was this particular pair had a narrow footprint and the extreme stiffness of the foot bed.

I hiked in MT with the perfek hikers and they worked well but alittle bit stiffer boot would have been ok but the Asolo were too stiff for general hiking around here. So my question is are all european boot makers make boots with narrow footprints bc i found myself feeling really unstable in the Asolo's. Also what are the main differences between the zamberlans i mentioned above? Are any or both super stiff?

Thanks

Last edited:

wildcat33

WKR
Guide 960s will be fairly narrow. Ive worn and like those boots very much (but a little short for my taste). I believe the Vioz are built on a wide last so that could be a better option for you if the 960s feel unstable. Its impossible to to generalize much beyond that. Asolo makes some great boots, they also make some garbage. Same with Meindl. Stiffness is subjective and a matter of personal preference.

Jkling12

FNG
Since you mentions some Mendels and seemed to like them The Cabelas mendle Denali is my new favorite boot. Stiffer than a hiker but that's what I prefer. I wore them in a 9 day hunt for 12-17 hours a day with 0 regrets. Lots of walking on shoreline rock and small mountains. Great ankle support with 0 issues.