Seriously sweaty feet!

Aeast

Lil-Rokslider
My feet leak water no matter what I wear or try. Does anyone have a good solution to dry boots in the field?

grfox92

WKR
I've read people who swear throwing hand warmers in your boots overnight will dry them, But I don't see how that would do anything other then make your boot wet AND warm as there's no added airflow.

Hopefully someone chimes in with real world experience.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Squirrels

WKR
news paper is pretty light, pack some with you and stuff a little in your boot each night before you lay down. It will soak up some of the moisture

AdamW

WKR
No great advice on the boot drying, but have you tried antiperspirant on your feet?

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
I sweat a lot too - merino socks help with odor and keep warmth. Bring an extra pair if you are hunting all day and swap them out when you take a break. Also helps to try and air out your boots for 10-15 min when you swap socks. It has made a huge difference for me.

Last edited:
OP
A

Aeast

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input, maybe I'll try a combination of everything mentioned and see if that works.

Apollo117

WKR
I saw on a method of drying boots on a survivor show, I think it was "Dude, you're screwed!". I can't remember which episode. Anyways, the RAF guy would unlace his boots and take the insert out. Then he would drive two wooden stakes into the ground and hang his boots upside down on the stakes. Not sure if this really works, but he seemed to think it did.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Spray antiperspirant works great for drier and warmer feet. I’ll agree with take the inserts out overnight too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rm06

WKR
I use spray antiperspirant but not during archery season as I haven't found one that is truly scent free. Kleinert's works pretty well but is a pain in the ass to apply and you can't really do it on a backpacking hunt as it has some specific procedures. I haven't found it to last more than a couple of days at best either.

Good advice here on boot care, I always remove my inserts at night and if I'm going to be in a spot for a couple hours during the day. I would think that leaving your boots upright would better allow the warm, humid air to escape than hanging them upside down

Mercyme

Banned
There are some really thick socks on the market that could help absorb all that liquid or you might want to look into your diet.

Shraggs

WKR
My feet are also real sweaty. Before I got the tag bomb game bags, I used real cotton pillow cases, they would help dry my boots by stuffing them into boot at night. Cotton seems to draw moisture.

There is a oercriotion cream (can't recall the name) your doctor can prescribe for you to put on feet nightly. It does work well reducing the amount of sweat.

The better shape I got in, me, the less I needed it. Today I use sent free antiperspirant stick on my feet. Works good.

In the mountains 5 miles plus a day, I still sweat. Let them dry without insoles and where no dew can get in and new socks in the next day! Best I can do

EastMT

WKR
Certain Dri prescription strength anti perspirant. Put it on you feet daily for a week or so before your hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When u say field and we talking truck camp or backpack camp.
I have a propane boot dryer but I wouldn't want to pack it in.
Idk if they make them anymore but it looks just like the white electric ones u use at home.
Also try changing your socks a few times a day.

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider
Another sweaty feet guy checking in. I usually pack in an extra set of insoles and swap them out daily. They are light, don't take up any considerable space and feel great with a fresh pair of socks even if the boots are a little damp the next morning.

Not to derail the thread, but I swear my right foot sweats much more than my left. Am I crazy or does anybody else notice this?

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I know I'm like a month behind on this, but I saw this and had some thoughts.

You seem to suggest your feet are wet from sweat and not dew/precipitation. I have found that in many environments, water proof boots are WAY overrated and over recommended.

Are you using a Gore Tex lined boot, or something similar?

I have hiked plenty of miles in various environments, from swamps to deserts to mountains. The only time I care for a waterproof boot is when I'm in snow. Other than that, the breathability to let sweat evaporate over time is more important than the rare rain or water crossing. I have often gotten boots wet and "walked them dry". With a water proof boot, they never "walk dry" once they are wet on the inside they need lots of dry air and/or heat to completely dry out. And they WILL eventually get wet. Either from sweat, rain, or a puddle that you didn't expect to splash over the top.

So my recommendation would be, a breathable leather boot with wool socks, and change the socks often. "Often" is up to interpretation. Every other day is more than enough when using Darn Toughs in most environments, twice a day might be more likely if you get lots of rain and still have some need to keep walking in it.

Good luck.