Can’t keep gore Tex boots from leaking!

I’m having a hell of a time getting a pair of gore Tex boots to last more than two years without leaking. Bought (what I thought at the time ) good boots (Saloman Quests). Those made it about a year before leaking, and I’m on my third pair thanks to gore Tex warranty. Started reading here and elsewhere about Lowas. Bought a pair of Ronan’s in Oct 2016. A couple weeks ago I started doing more early morning hiking in wet dew covered grass, and yup, they’re leaking too. Have kept up with leather conditioner as needed on these boots, and really don’t put that many miles on them, but they’re broke in nicely. Working on warranty with these now, but will have to bust ass to get them ready before my trip in November.

What’s the key? I need boots and I like the looks of Kennetrek, Crispi, and Schnees but am I gonna spend $400 plus and be in the same situation in two years? Looking for tips.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
I've used Irish Setter, Danner, Rocky, Guide Gear and a few other lesser "waterproof" boots that all leaked after about a year of use. I have 3 years on my Crispi Hunters and they haven't leaked yet. Of course your milage may vary but any goretex boot will leak eventually as the membrane breaks down from wear. I'm not as experienced as others here but from what I've seen, a stiffer boot doesn't flex and wear out the goretex liner as quickly. To me the Crispis have been worth the cost but they also fit my feet well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
I find gore Tex leaks even faster on a flexible boot such as the ones your using. IME it lasts longer on the stiffer boots.

Even then I like full grain, solid leather with minimal seams, gives at least some extra protection if you keep them clean and waxed.

I had a pair of meindl Alaska hunters keep me dry for 5 years until the lining dried and crinkled in the toe area

gelton

WKR
Yup my Lowa Hunters just bit the dust this year...kept me dry for six seasons. Probably going to try OutDry next.

This is not a joke, but look into one of the brands of waterproof socks. They keep the external moisture inside of your boot off of your feet, even when the Goretex eventually fails due to use. You can also use them in non-GT boots and save some money and weight.

Ironman8

WKR
This is not a joke, but look into one of the brands of waterproof socks. They keep the external moisture inside of your boot off of your feet, even when the Goretex eventually fails due to use. You can also use them in non-GT boots and save some money and weight.

This is exactly what I am doing this season. GTX boots just don’t last and full grain leather boots are heavier than hell. Not to mention neither of them breathe very well.

The hard part of this is finding a boot that DOESN’T have GTX. I ended up going with Salomon Quest 4D non-GTX in their Forces lineup (military version). It’s fairly light and all synthetic so it should dry quicker. If it’s really wet out, I can step into the GTX socks. When it’s dry, I’ll save the wear and tear on the GTX membrane when I don’t need them.

This is still a “concept” for me but hopefully I’ll have some actual use with this system after this season.

Stid2677

WKR
On most Alaskan bush hunts my boots never dry, I'm in and out of water or walking in wet grass. I have for many years used Goretex socks, I like the Goretex style over the Neopeem because they thinner. Once my boots get wet inside I wear my GT socks until the boots get walked dry. Nice to wear around camp with camp shoes to keep socks dry too.

Also many times I have seen folks think thier boots were leaking when they were getting water wicked down into the boots from wet socks and pants,, Gators will stop this if this is what is causing the water in the boots. Also many folks don't realize their feet are sweeting enough to also mimic leaks.

Not saying either are the OPs issue, just saying that this happens to some.

The waterproof socks I was talking about are not GoreTex socks. You will run into the same issue I fear that happens with the BT booty in BT boots. I was talking about socks like Sealskinz or those from Ganz, which I have used in the field. Here are some websites to check out, and no I do not have any affiliation with these companies.

showerspass.com
waterflyshop.com
hanzusa.com or superiorglove.com
always-outside.com
dexshell.com
sealskinzusa.com
NRS.com

Good luck and keep your feet dry.

The waterproof socks I was talking about are not GoreTex socks. You will run into the same issue I fear that happens with the BT booty in BT boots. I was talking about socks like Sealskinz or those from Ganz, which I have used in the field. Here are some websites to check out, and no I do not have any affiliation with these companies.

showerspass.com
waterflyshop.com
hanzusa.com or superiorglove.com
always-outside.com
dexshell.com
sealskinzusa.com
NRS.com

Good luck and keep your feet dry.

You say you have tried some of these in the field. Did they make your feet sweat a lot or did they breathe good?

You say you have tried some of these in the field. Did they make your feet sweat a lot or did they breathe good?
I have used a few styles of the Ganz products and did not have any problem with my feet sweating any more than they normally do. The best thing about these socks is that you can use them like any other pair of socks. Take them off at the end of the day and wipe any sweat off of your feet while you let your boots dry out. Like so many I have been looking for a boot that gives me ankle support and also keeps my feet dry when covering mixed terrain like woodlands, mountainsides, and stream crossings. These socks combined with a comfortable boot are the only solution I have found.

I have used a few styles of the Ganz products and did not have any problem with my feet sweating any more than they normally do. The best thing about these socks is that you can use them like any other pair of socks. Take them off at the end of the day and wipe any sweat off of your feet while you let your boots dry out. Like so many I have been looking for a boot that gives me ankle support and also keeps my feet dry when covering mixed terrain like woodlands, mountainsides, and stream crossings. These socks combined with a comfortable boot are the only solution I have found.

That sounds like a great system. I think i will check them out.

I read on rokslide that one guy "seam sealed" so to speak his boots. He mixed mineral spirits and silicon II, diluted it as to seam seal a tent and put it on his boots. He said it worked and no more water issues. I guess the breath ability might suffer a bit but hey dry feet is a plus. I think the waterproof sock idea is better though.

TTSX180

Lil-Rokslider
Gators are a huge difference when there’s any moisture on the brush, my feet sweat rely bad so extra socks are a must. During the day I just change them out. Boots on the other hand I buy the best and they fall apart in less than 2 years, for some reason I’m hard on them, oh yes I forgot to mention as many of you do I have to work for a living. I now have a pair of Lowa Tibet’s only for hunting, three years and no leaks no problems.

WJS23

WKR
I had the same problem with my Solomon’s. I got a pair of crispi thors and haven’t had a problem yet with them leaking in all most a year and I have a ton of miles on them

Sno seal and a hairdryer. Gore Tex will leak.

I've done this as well. It certainly doesn't help them breathe but helps delay and reduce the water soaking duration.

I saw Schnee's mentioned sno seal can cause boots to shrink on here a little while back. Curious if anyone else has experienced that.

I was in your boat for years - unimpressed with Gore Tex boots because they leaked soon after purchase. I've now got four years on a $400 pair of Asolo boots. It hurt at the time to pay 4x as much as I'd ever spent on footwear. I've now worn the soles through on the toes, but they still don't leak.
Might be just a fluke for this pair, but I'm going to seriously consider another pair when I'm done with these.

They're the Asolo TPS 520 GV Evo Hiking Boots - now selling for $320 at REI. Looks like I got robbed $80.

jhm2023

WKR
Goretex will fail over time even if it's new and your putting in some good miles in wet terrain. It's designed to let vapor out but unfortunately that also eventually lets water in, especially if your boots are leather and the leather is soaked. Mine seem to permanently fail around the 2 year mark in the toe box area from all the flexing at the toes. A little secret not very many people know about is that goretex will warranty any product that contains goretex in it and leaks. The catch is said product must be in good condition with some decent life left in them. I have sent boots back to them in the past. They test them to verify your claim of leaking then tell you to pick some new boots out.