Dry boots in the field/camp

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
Since this is my first camping/backpacking hunt in CO. How does everyone dry their boots for the night? I have 1 pair of good hiking/hunting boots and some "camp" boots. Was wondering how everyone dries out their boots? Thanks.

Jbehredt

WKR
Take them off as often as you can. If I know I’m sitting for more than 20 minutes I take mine off. Push the tongue out and let them breathe. Socks always dry in that time and seems to keep moisture from building up in the boots. I’ve got some pretty sweaty feet and this works for me. On the peet dryer for a day when I get home.

KJH

WKR
I take them off, pull the insoles, and put them each on a stick (sole side up) that I push into the ground. This way the air gets to them as much as possible. and no moisture gets in them if it rains. I used to do it outside the tent, but now that I'm a floorless tent guy, I do it in the tent. Almost guaranteed dry boots if you use a stove in the tent. Also, if you're a paper back book reader, rip out a few pages that have been read and stick 3-5 in each boot... it sucks the moisture out into the paper (learned that from a friend a while back) and you can burn your paper later.

I throw my insoles in my sleeping bag and they are always nice and dry in the morning (learned that in the Army).

Kotaman

WKR
If conditions are wet, there is really nothing you can do but to wear them dry. In conditions that are on again, off again, the above advice applies. Taking out the insoles is important.

I've only experimented with it at home, and it would only be practical for hunting out of a car camp, but fill a women's disposable nylon sock with minute rice and put it down inside the boot overnight. You should have dry boots in the morning, hang sock of rice for the day and it should dry out over the day for use the next night.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
in a heated tent, I hang 'em high as possible. In a road camp, Peet propane dryer. And the tip above about trying to take them off for breaks is great in warmer weather.