Stiff boots

EastMT

WKR
I have used a pair of Meindls Alaskan for years, loved them, super stiff. Bought a new pair and they changed the construction, I had zero ankle support, side hilling my ankle kept rolling.

Took them back, bought kenetrek hardscrabble. They hurt my heels uphill, so I tied them the way they recommend. Helped a bit but I got blisters on the side of my small toe side hilling with about 4000’ of elevation change total on a day hunt.

I need a boot damn near like a ski boot. I don’t care if it’s not the best on a flat trail, like you need to shorten your stride a bit, that’s fine. I injured my ankles on dirt bike mishaps prior to my brain sprouting and need all I can get to keep from a rolled ankle with a load on. I mostly go straight up and straight down with side hilling if necessary after a lot of whining and bellyaching before talking myself into it.

I haven’t tried plastic boots yet, but I’m willing to. I’ll even buy from a hippie store if necessary.

Any help would be awesome, thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive been wearing a pair of scarpas for the last few years at work and they are like a ski boot. I hate wearing them, but they are a requirement for work. I’ve probably got 400 or so miles on them and they still feel like I need to break them in.

wildcat33

WKR
I have some Scarpa Inverno's, and just seeing them fills my heart with dread. I really only wear them if I absolutely have to (cold + snow + crampons). In other words, plastics as a very last resort.

I always thought kennetrecks were cut like a Mervyns dress shirt. A sportier fit in a true mountaineering boot might do you right. If you can stomach the fruity colors something like Scarpa Charmoz (havent worn) or La Sportiva Trango (have owned, very light, stiff, durability just OK). The Schnees granites are pretty burly. I have the IVs and they are solid.

I have weak ankles as well and I’ve been using, and have had really good luck with, Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX’s for years. This past winter I purchased a pair of La Sportiva Nepal EVO’s GTX’s, that are almost identical to my Scarpa’s with just a little narrower fit, and used them for training hikes all spring and summer. I wore them on a 10 day sheep hunt last month with zero issues as well and logged about 90 miles in them. Both boots provide excellent ankle support and although it’s a little too early to tell what their longevity is going to be like with the Nepal’s, the Scarpa’s have surpassed all my expectations for durability.

Last edited:
OP
EastMT

EastMT

WKR
Thanks guys. I found a cheap pair of used Koflach Degres, for $50 I’ll try those out this winter. I’ll def check out the Scarpa, I’ve been meaning to head south to the metropolis to try some on. On a good note, I picked up a 6’6” alpine black bear solo and managed to get back to the truck just shy of getting my headlamp out. Had a blister and sore heels but I’ll take that for a good bear!

His back teeth are almost gone and his snout is my favorite part.

43daf7382a9cf2085c3141d5193b0ff5.jpg

bounds

WKR
I'll second the Scarpa Mont Blanc's. I've got the uninsulated version of those, the Grand Dru, and they have been great for me. Had them on two steep hunts and no matter what I'm doing, my foot/ankle are locked in place and supported. They're not light but I'll never go back to a lighter/less stiff boot for mountain hunts. That assurance of not having to worry about my feet and ankles is worth the added weight.

I tried a pair of Scarpa Wrangell GTX last year and have to say they are far and away the stiffest boot I've owned. More so then even Sportiva Makalu's that are damned stiff.

Look for any ice climbing boot from the big European companies. They'll be absolutely rigid and bombproof. La Sportiva, Scarpa, Asolo, Mammut, Lowa, etc. A quick search on backcountry. com for ice boots should bring up plenty.

I've worn mostly La Sportiva and Scarpa for rigid boots. Also have a pair of Koflach Degres and have done a lot of climbing and walking in them.