Help with WORK boots

Hi everyone,

Sorry to bring up the w word on here but I need some help. I have yet to find a boot that works well for me for work as a cattle Veterinarian. I'm on concrete all day so I need a good sole but I also have to be nimble so it can't be clunky. My biggest problem is that I push off the side of my foot a lot so I end up wearing out the outside of my shoe and my feet want to roll out. My best success so far has been red wings but they only lasted about a year and I can't Shell out that much every year. I've tried Keen, wolverine, Irish setter, cashews like Cabela's brand and never really been happy. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j-bow

Lil-Rokslider
Thorogoods (made in Wisconsin) have treated my feet well for the last 6 or 7 years. They last longer than all of the boots you mentioned( I have had them all). Not cheap, but not Chinese either!

Tod osier

WKR
Thorogoods (made in Wisconsin) have treated my feet well for the last 6 or 7 years. They last longer than all of the boots you mentioned( I have had them all). Not cheap, but not Chinese either!

That is my suggestion too, they have held up well for me. I had one pair mysteriously stretch out to be unusable (they were pretty beat, but still had some life) but my other later pairs have worn very well.

woods89

WKR
I'm a residential contractor and I will 3rd the Thorogoods, specifically the wedge sole models. They have held up well and are very comfortable on concrete. Not sure if they will provide the traction you need, but they have worked well for me.

OP
bowieknife50
Thanks guys,

Unfortunately I've tried those as well without success. By far the best sole I've had but the leather was very soft and I stretched it out quickly.

bhylton

WKR
Wesco jobmasters in your choice of height with whatever that thick white sole is called that concrete workers wear alot

Tmddmt7

FNG
The only work boot I’ve worn are the Danner Bull Runs, take a while to wear in but after that there a comfortable boot and last

tttoadman

WKR
When I still worked for a living, I wore nothing but the wolverines with the durashock bottoms. They are really tough, and they are great for a lot of walking on the concrete shop floor.

What RedWings are you currently wearing? I've found there's a big difference between the standard RW stuff and the American made boots. I wear a pair of either 877s or Iron Rangers every day. The 877s are definitely a tough boot.

While I've never tried a pair, I'd love to get a pair of custom Whites or Nicks.

Wrongside

WKR
I worked in construction for a long time- general carpenter/woodworker/framer and contractor. Use to go thru at least 2 pairs of boots a year. Then I tried Vibergs and went to getting a year plus from boots. Even their 'econo line', Stompers, are excellent. Vibergs are made in British Columbia. Stomper line is offshore somewhere, but still very good quality.

Workboot.com - The Best Source of Quality, Well Priced, Workboots

OP
bowieknife50
I have the flex force. They were great for a little over a year but my problem is always that I stretch out the leather on the outside of the boot. I'm thinking of going non leather this time for that reason but seems like people don't put good soles on non leather boots.

Last edited:

boom

WKR
what kinda sole do you want/need? some of the suggestions above seem like a nightmare if you step in a cow turd. i'm no cow vet, but i imagine a boot you can clean easily is a good thing?

having said that, i only buy Danner Quarrys (quarries?). the 6" version.

Owenst7

WKR
Xwhatever on Thorogoods. Hell I even wear them out on dates they're so comfortable. Mine are going on something like 6 years of construction work, although concrete is now taking it's toll on the leather because I just don't have time to clean and treat them weekly (concrete eats through everything).

Great part is they are stitch down, so any decent cobbler around you will be able to resole them easily.

~$150 for a good pair of USA made boots seems like a bargain every time I look. Most of the guys I work with are paying close to double that for Chinese boots that don't last.

I've found them to fit accurate to a Brannock device for me. I wear a 10 in Thorogoods, which is my arch length on a Brannock, and also the size I wear in all my mountain boots.

white's, nicks or wesco.... have all three. love all three. Since my last pair of white's they've since sold to LaCrosse and I've heard rumors of QA/QC going south but no real world experience.

thorogoods would be a close 4th.

This past summer I ordered a pair of danner work boots because I found them online for a song. At over 75% off retail they still weren't worht it. I devoted my feet to that company pretty much through the 90's and it's somewhat heartbreaking to see them go that far south, even on their USA made boots.

sodak

FNG
Ever tried muck chore boots? In the barn wear them and slip into a non-dirty comfy shoe as you get back into the pickup. Arrive at clinic clean.

OP
bowieknife50
Have had multiple pairs of muck Boots and won't have any more. None of them have held up well at all and they all make my feet sweat like crazy. I wear rubber over boots so dirty is not a concern.

AGPank

WKR
Curious what is failing on the boots you like. Is the leather failing? Is the sole failing?

Do you clean/condition leather? Maybe avoid petroleum based products. Saddle soap to clean. Find something with a natural oil/beeswax blend to condition/protect.

If you are wearing heavily use on concrete sole wear out may be inevitable. A Norwegian welt style is designed to resole.

Thanks for all the suggestions from others, will be looking into them.

AGPank

WKR
With so many styles/materials I would take your favorite pair into the dealer and get their input.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am a huge fan of salomon boots and shoes. They make the quest 4 D boot which is a ultralight boot and is 100% waterproof yet very comfy. I myself am not a huge boot guy but I really like these boots on the fact of how comfortable they are and how sturdy they are. Definitely one to take a look at and the price on them are not bad at all for a darn good boot.