Pac boots, what's good?

matthewmt

WKR
I finally tossed my old pair of whites pac boots, they were beat! They no longer make pacs.
I'll use these for work and rifle season and probably shoveling the drive here soon.

so I'm looking at kentrek and Hoffman pacs, Hoffman's look serious and durable also made in ID, rebuild able soles.

The kentrek "northerners" maybe? Don't look very thick and maybe offer a more traditional sole if I read correctly and says they're made for the "tundra". Locally these come with a free pair of kenetrek gaiters. Looking at picking these up locally so I'm able to try these on etc which my local army navy has both.

At any rate, looking for experience with either of these pacs.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I've had a pair of Kenetrek Hunters, or whatever their standard pac boot with their version of aggressive soles, for 10 or 15 years. They only get used several times a year but I sure like them when I need them. I'd certainly recommend them. Never tried the Schnees or Hoff's but I'm sure they are excellent as well. I think the Northerners have felt sole under the inserts for a bit more warmth. I'd say if you are planning on moving around alot the Hunter's might be best, if you think you'll be standing still a lot, say a stand or ice fishing or if you are out a lot in more zero/sub-zero the Northerner would be nice.

Hoffman's are very tough, solidly built pacs... I wish they still made White's as they were my go to pac but Hoffmans are a close 2nd. If there's any work involved Hoffmans get my vote.

I may be one of the few but I was very disappointed with Schnees. They are comfortable and likely stylish/trendy but the bottom rubber cracks easier than other pacs I've had and the leather acts like a sponge regardless of how much treatment I give it. Unless it's ridiciulously cold snow, they will soak up melted snow and water into the leather.

I can't weigh in on the Kenne's but will attest to the durability and overall quality of hoffmans.

OP
matthewmt

matthewmt

WKR
Tried on some pacs today, Hoffman mountaineer was super bulky felt wool liner for coldest rating but it's not gonna work for me. The Hoffman guide and kenetrek northerner were the best options. Kenetrek was the most comfortable out of the box before even standing up. But I'd worry with the softer leather it prove to be more absorbent by nature. The Hoffman guide/outback definitely seems more durable with a heavier leather and more water repellent as well as some time breaking them in. They have a thinner thinsulate liner but sounds like it would be warmer and more comfortable on the move.
With a large selection of foot wear i started thinking of insulated hiker's (Crispi/lowa/hoffman) etc but considering they'll be used more on a job most likely than in the woods it would be hard to justify twice the cost to destroy a pair of boots. At any rate I'm still looking not many reviews online for those pacs specifically.

Thanks for the input guys.

bhylton

WKR
hoffmans for sure. everyone i know who works forestry has ended up at hoffmans after trying all the others

ChrisS

WKR
how are people sizing for wide feet? I tried a pair of Kenetreks at my foot size and it was a no go. Not even close for width. I know that they all use the same general bottom, but how are people usually getting extra width? 1-2 sizes up? Does that make for feet sliding around in there?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Schnees are definitely worth looking into- I have a pair I wore for 20+ years as a game warden (and hunting) that have been resoled once, but still going strong.

I would suggest not getting their warmest model as it's too warm for anything but very cold, sedentary activities
- stand hunting, waterfowl hunting, ice fishing

OP
matthewmt

matthewmt

WKR
Schnees are definitely worth looking into- I have a pair I wore for 20+ years as a game warden (and hunting) that have been resoled once, but still going strong.

I would suggest not getting their warmest model as it's too warm for anything but very cold, sedentary activities
- stand hunting, waterfowl hunting, ice fishing
You put a lot of miles on yours?

OP
matthewmt

matthewmt

WKR
how are people sizing for wide feet? I tried a pair of Kenetreks at my foot size and it was a no go. Not even close for width. I know that they all use the same general bottom, but how are people usually getting extra width? 1-2 sizes up? Does that make for feet sliding around in there?
I tried both my size and one down the smaller being a better fit but I had a lot of room in the warmer rated Hoffman's. The kenetrek I tried fit snug but comfy in a size down. Hope that helps, never seen a wide sz pac.

OP
matthewmt

matthewmt

WKR
I've heard people say when it comes to hand made boots to try a few pairs of the same size to see if there are any discrepancies. I may have to do the same with the pacs.
@mtwarden I'll give them a look. Still have a little time before the snow really starts flying.

Muttly

WKR
Here goes...
So..both boots, sorta..apples to oranges a bit.
I have the Kenetrek Grizzlies, 13", and the Hoffman Felt Pac Lineman, 13" steel toe.
Ran the Grizzlies while I was still in Anchorage, hostling out of the port, and for another year or two after I hit Ketchikan. Two pair of liners, switched em out daily, in and out of a K dub all day long, icy, wet, 10-20-30° and up. Comfy as a pair of moccasins, no steel toe, only real down side was when the heels were getting worn down, get a little sore in the knees. Think I ran em hard for five years, the rubber finally cracked. To be fair though, big feet, size 13, and rubbing against the pedals wears em down a little quicker than usual, I suspect..
One of these days, need to send em in, they can rebuild the bottoms for 125 bucks. If a guy wanted thicker, Vibram soles, could always send em off to Hoffman, get them put on.

The Hoffman's... had to go steel toe, bern running Hoffman pole climbers for quite a while, seemed logical to grab their pacs.
Like the Grizzlies on steroids. Thick vibram type sole, more heel lift, way thick leather on the shaft, nothing delicate about them, full on Franks... Double shank in the footbed, not bad, but not near as stiff as the pole climbers..which are comparable to the Scarpa Grand Dru/...orange ones, suddenly forget the name..
Anyhoo, one big difference, the Grizzlies are a fair bit easier to get on, open up wider, the Hoffman's, a lot skinnier shaft, hafta point yer toes down and cram your foot in.

Stouter Frankensteins, go Hoffman, more moccasin/mukluk comfy if you don't need the extra support or a steel toe, Kenetrek..

OP
matthewmt

matthewmt

WKR
I ended up just going with these Hoffman Guide/Outbacks today. Time will tell and I can report back on my experience. Appreciate all the input.
6a4b092bced0f42e5be3c982a21b24fa.jpg

OP
matthewmt

matthewmt

WKR
Looking at getting these. How have you liked yours?
Hey, they've been decent for me. I've experienced the leather stretching a bit resulting in a looser fit, which made them a little unpleasant elk hunting the opener of rifle 2019. I picked up some felt liners to build the inside up a bit so I'll see how that helps. I wasn't able to use them a ton this year with the lack of snow here in northwest MT, just got about 3+" today so I'll throw them on to shovel the drive.
Considering I got mine due to the US made and from a neighboring state the insole has a made in Thailand stamp which is disappointing and what kept me from trying the kenetrek options locally.
I'd recommend trying them on for fit before hand for sure.

Let me know which direction you end up going.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. From the research I've done it seems like people like both the Hoffman and the Schnee's and they are both pretty comparable. I obviously like Hoffman's price point better, but still trying to decide which is the best option. Like you said, I'd like to try them on before making a decision. I also wonder if it would be worth just going with a boot like the Crispi Wild Rock's https://www.crispius.com/wild-rock-plus-gtx-boot

My use for whichever I end up choosing would be for late season hunting (obviously). I'd like them to be comfortable enough to hike 2-5+ miles in (my guess is the Crispi's would be better for this) but warm enough that I could sit and glass for a couple hours without my feet getting cold (my guess is the Pac Boots would be better for this).

*zap*

WKR
I have 2 pair of Ranger rubber pac boots which have removable liners. One pair is for extreme cold and the other mild cold (do not remember the exact temp ratings). They pull on like rubber knee high boots, no laces. Both pair have done pretty well for me.