Salewa Repace GTX Old Vs New

North61

Lil-Rokslider
I probably tried 15 pairs of boots at our local hiking store in Whitehorse over a 10 month period, 2.5 years ago. Of these I brought 5 pairs home at different times to wear them at home for a final test. All but one went back..the last pair was the Salewa Repace GTX and they fit so well I bought two pairs of them. Wore one out and am now wearing the second so I bought another pair (mail-order as our local store doesn't handle them anymore). Much to my chagrin they have changed these boots quite a bit! They used to be made in Vietnam now they are made in Romania and it looks like a whole new boot. Damn..do I have to start all over again?

IMG_2073_zpsccpfwyam.jpg

The Good News...
1) The last seems similar
2) The new model is stiffer
3) Both have variable volume
4) Both have the 3F heel retention system that seems to ease heel blisters
5) Both have great lacing patterns that allow a customized fit to some degree
Less good
Both are under 2 pounds but the new version, just barely and it is 5 oz heaver than the old ones per boot.
Bad News
The new version isn't exactly the same...I loved and trusted the old design

Took the new version on a 9K hike.... so far so good. No hot spots yet. Time will tell.
Video review here
YouTube

Last edited:

HeadnWest

WKR
I purchased the Repace this year as well. I am very pleased so far. Haven't' put them through the ringer yet, but on a first couple mile hikes they seem to support my foot well. Nice post and review.