Lightweight Hip boot/over boot wader for creek crossings

Looking for recommendations on a good lightweight hip boot or over boot for creek crossings. Appreciate any input!

For lightweight creek crossing overboots there's basically nothing except Wiggy's Waders. I've used them for over a decade, but the problem is one of durability. The truth is they are very easily damaged by underwater rocks and debris. Great concept but built way too cheaply to be worth their $70 cost. After much aggravation for years I've finally decided to create my own overboot waders out of better materials and with much more durability. I'm currently testing fabrics and techniques. Next comes a pattern and then finally a prototype. I'm not planning to sell or market. I just want to solve a problem I'm tired of dealing with.

FlyGuy

WKR
Kevin. When you figure it out, if you won't sell a pair would you trade for beer and boiled crawfish?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

The thing is, I suspect each pair will require a lot of time and effort to construct. They are simple things, but not so simple to make and make waterproof. I think there'll come a day when some manufacturer figures out there's a need for these and introduces something of higher quality. I just know what my needs are and I'm building to suit myself. If all goes well I may decide to post up a how-to thread, though I figure few will be willing to go through the processes needed.

Beendare

WKR
I have the wiggys...coated the bottom with shoe goo when I got a leak, works pretty good....Kevins right...they aren't very durable...and they are short on me, 6'4".

Easy to make them from Sil or the heavier fabric...just make them bulky to fit over everything and seal the seams. One of these days I will make a set thats longer than my wiggys.

I'm not a fan of those Neos....

Question for you Kevin. What about using some heavy duty cordura with oversized booty and a rubber sole welded on the bottom, then a strap sewn in around the ankle to cinch them tight?

AK...
There's probably any number of ways to make them, including what you describe. I don't think there's a best way, and maybe it comes down to individual preference. My research has led me to pvc-coated ripstop (think waterproof duffle or drybag) of fairly heavy weight to create a full bootie. A lighter ripstop top would be attached to the bootie. No ankle strap or anything like that on mine. I'm also working with a 100% heat-seal or glue-up build which means little sewing and subsequent seam sealing. Built correctly they will be waterproof with no taping or extra seam sealing needed. No stitch holes and a much cleaner seam line. The trick is designing a one piece bootie pattern which doesn't require a lot of seams and effort to make. I think I've got that figured out. I've also been testing various fabrics and seam joinery for strength and durability which again is looking promising. I won't know until I actually build the first set, but a major challenge is trying to look ahead and troubleshoot everything before starting. I don't intend to build 3 sets just to get it right once. It's also important to me that they be made from materials which are easily repaired if somehow damaged.

Last edited:

mcseal2

WKR
I don't know if these fit your situation or not but they are another option. It's a really lightweight rubber boot with a waterproof nylon chap built in. I bought a pair thinking of taking them for my moose hunt as a back-up wader or camp shoe but ended up taking just a pair of tingley boots without the chap. I've had my pair for about 6 months now and they have worked fine. The tread will wear faster than a tougher boot but it's to be expected as light as they are. I've taken them to fix fence water gaps and worn them on several river trips.

My size 11 Tingley boot version with the super chap weigh 1lb 7oz each, just under 3lbs total.

Tingley Boots with Yoder Chaps – RidgeLineSupply.com

I crossed creeks and small rivers in the NWT/BC again this year wearing my Meindel Boots with my Kuiu Chugach rain pants on. I use heavy Velcro straps around the bottom (came off a cast the sister-in-law could take off) to seal off the water, they have a D-ring to give you 2 to 1 mechanical advantage and you can get them very snug. I've also used electrical tape as well as cord to multi-wrap around the ankles. All worked, the Velcro is the quickest. If you hustle across the 1/4 ounce thin cords I used worked fine. Unless you are hunting in the swamp, I can't see packing the extra over-boot stuff when you likely already carry rain pants (and jacket). Good luck hunting!

Last edited:
I have used heavy duty large trash bags, stash them on the opposite side the crossing and use them on the way back across and then as a trash bag! I used the expensive thick ones and they did not leak. Just a thought depending on how sharp the rocks are and deep the water is.

Btaylor

WKR
What about a pair of those lightweight stocking foot waders? Cut them off thigh high and then just roll them down so they could be tucked under gaiters?

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
The Wiggys are beyond crappy. The uppers do fine but the sole area needs improvement big time. I got one crossing out of mine and then they were just extra garbage to pack around until I got out of the bush.

I have a pair of the discontinued neos hippers and they are pretty bombproof but heavy.

The only real answer that I know of is Koflach and Barneys glacier socks. I use these a lot but there are times I dont need that much boot and I wish there was a durable light pullover hipper option.