Lathrop & Sons Experience - Ongoing

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
I don't see a whole lot of talk about Lathrop & Sons so I figured I would post about my experience so others can get a better look at this company.

I hunt early season archery deer, archery elk, general rifle deer and elk, and late season deer and elk in Washington. So I have an array of terrains and weather conditions I hunt each year. I have traditionally used Irish Setter leather boots with 200gr Thinsulate for my mid to late season hunts. Early season I wear Salomon Mid ankle boots. I also couple these with good Merino wool socks.

This year I have done a little more sitting in ambush situations during the later/colder seasons. My feet started to get cold even with good socks. With my latest pair of boots being a few years old, it is time to retire them and start looking for another pair. I began reading and looking around the web to find a good upgrade. I quickly came across the typical Crispi, Schnee's, Danners, Zamberlan, and Lathrop & Sons with their custom boot fitting system. I really need some stiffer boots that are both waterproof and insulated. After reading some reviews on each I was intrigued by the custom fit by L&S. I would occasionally get hot spots on long hikes with my current boots because none of them fit perfect.

As some of you may know, L&S does NOT currently have any insulated boots. I reached out and was quickly contacted by James with L&S. We spoke over the phone about boots for quite a while and after hearing what he had to say, I felt very comfortable working with him. The biggest selling point was that they are not pushing for you to buy their boot. They work with many boot brands and are focused on finding the correct boot and fit specifically for your foot. Whether that be their boot or another. They also have a heavy background in podiatry.

James gave me a quick run down of different insulated boots he would recommend right off the bat. He also made mention that they are currently in the testing phase for a new Insulated boot that will be released next year. Since my current hunting season is almost over, I am not in immediate need of a pair of boots. So instead of jumping right in to a pair of boots I decided to get the custom foot printing done and then see what L&S recommends.

So that is where I am at. The 3D foot printing kit is on its way to my house. I am very interested in their new insulated boot and if L&S comes back and says it would be a good fit, I will probably go forth with the new boot. I will keep updating this post as I progress through the process. If anyone has any questions about boots I strongly suggest you give these guys a call. They are great to work with and seem like real people who want to help.

OP
HoytHunter24

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
Finally got around to doing my 3D imprinting and sending it all out today! It was interesting seeing how much different my two feet really are. I have one foot with a higher arch than the other and some different pressures. I am excited to see how this turns out!
View attachment 82067

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
L&S is one of our longest running sponsors and for good reason, they will walk you through every step to get it right and stand behind their products. I've only heard a few few negatives over the years, so few I can't even remember what they were. When in doubt, just give Stephen or James a call and tell them what/how you hunt, they'll take it from there.

I've had great success with my L&S boots and have commented my thoughts in various other threads on them. I'm really glad to hear they are coming out with an insulated boot! In my perfect world it would be a lot like the Mountain Hunter but with 400g or more of insulation. My Crispi's are only 200g and to be honest that's not much warmth when sitting still during cold late season hunts.

OP
HoytHunter24

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
I forgot to update this after my phone consultation with James.

First off, James is one of the most laid back and welcoming salesmen I have come across. He was super helpful and had an answer for all of my questions.

We went over all the boots I have previously worn and the issues I have had with foot fatigue. After explaining how i hunt and the amount of weight I would be carrying, James was able to recommend a couple boots.

I assumed he would automatically refer me to one of the L&S boots but he didnt. He recomended a Lowa boot that would probably fit me the best. His second choice was the L&S Mountain Hunter boot. He said this one would take a little more work to make fit me but would be of better quality.

We spoke about insulated vs non insulated since (as was announced today) they were coming out with an insulated version. With the type of waterproofing used by L&S I started leaning towards uninsulated since most of my hunting is active and in the early to middle part of the season.

I needed to wait a couple months to order my boots in order to save up a few bucks. The boots will be just over $1000 shipped.

I will post once I order!

OP
HoytHunter24

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
Well I made the jump and ordered my boots today with Steve.

We went over a few last items over the phone and made a last minute change to my sizing. We placed the order for a set of L&S Mountain Hunter boots and they said its about 2 and a half weeks out before they can get caught up on orders and get mine ready.

I still cant say enough about how helpful James and Steve both are and they have made this experience extremely pleasant!

I will update once my boots arrive.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I talked to James at the Sheep Show and gave him the history of what has and hasn't worked for me. He told me that their boot wouldn't be the best answer for me, and recommended the boot that I've had previous experience with, albeit with me buying the wrong size it still worked the best lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing but the highest of praise for Stephen, James and Morgan. Total pros and great guys!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

OP
HoytHunter24

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
These bad boys showed up last night! I can’t begin to describe my initial impression. These are by far the best quality feeling boots I have held. The leather and laces feel great in the hand. I think my favorite feature so far (without walking around in them yet) is the ball bearing lace loops. This makes tightening the laces a breeze and is just a great feature. I have to now call the guys at L&S to go over fit and finish.

I will report back after that call and getting some miles on these new boots.

BD47DE2F-AA8D-4EA1-A366-6B18093BA441.jpeg

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
Lathrop has always been an impressive outfit. I would've bought boots from them but they didn't have anything that fit me after a lot of back and forth shipping. I will add that their advice got me into the right boot I needed.

scot520

FNG
Just got done with my custom making. Spent an hour and a half on the phone with Stephen today and have my boots ordered. Cant wait to get them and put one miles on them.

pansch220

FNG
These bad boys showed up last night! I can’t begin to describe my initial impression. These are by far the best quality feeling boots I have held. The leather and laces feel great in the hand. I think my favorite feature so far (without walking around in them yet) is the ball bearing lace loops. This makes tightening the laces a breeze and is just a great feature. I have to now call the guys at L&S to go over fit and finish.

I will report back after that call and getting some miles on these new boots.

View attachment 90904

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to hearing about your experience with these boots! I am looking at getting a pair myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
HoytHunter24

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
I spoke with Morgan and James last night about the fitment. Morgan had be take a couple pictures of my feet on the insoles to check the sizing. Once they went over those James went over the basics of how the boot should feel. After getting off the phone with him I wore them around the house for a few hours going up and down the stairs and trying to really test them (as best as one can inside their home). My right foot felt great, maybe a little snug. But my left pinky toe was cramped. I was wearing a pair of Kuiu compression socks with Injinji sock liners. The overall fit felt a big snug.

James mentioned I am right on the edge of needing a larger size (10.5) just by looking at my foot on the insole. When trying to enact going down a steep grade my toes just barely touch the front of the boot. This is a pretty good indication to me that I may need a larger size. I will be talking with James tonight to send these back for a larger size.

It is nice working with folks who truly care more about the product working for you. I have already paid for and had boots arrive to my home. Most places would start writing me off but the customer service seems to keep getting better. He told me straight up that if ANYTHING doesnt feel right to immediately send the boots back to get everything perfect.

OP
HoytHunter24

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
Spoke with James on Friday and he agreed that a half size larger would solve my issue. So first thing this morning i received a UPS shipping label from him and will be sending the boots back this afternoon to get a new size.

I am still very happy with this process and how helpful the Lathrops have been!