Who does long hikes with pac boots?

ChrisS

WKR
A friend of mine puts on miles in the Adirondacks with his Schnee's when the temperature drops. I don't know how he does it, TBH. The terrain isn't the greatest as you're constantly walking on/over/through blowdown and there are rocks everywhere. I stick to my uninsulated hikers and gaiters.

Jimss

WKR
A lot depends on the terrain you'll be hunting. I certainly wouldn't want to wear my pacs on super steep, rocky slopes. I hunted a Wyo elk unit quite a few years ago out in the sagebrush and was super glad I had pacs. The snow was deep and drifting. Some pacs are lighter weight than others. Also, I had good luck with the bob soles. They grip a lot better than the slick bottomed pacs on ice and rock.

bhylton

WKR
Check out Hoffman outbackpacks. They have an extra ankle lock system that works pretty well, and they are sized a little slimmer for a less clunky feel.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I am thinking about buying some. If sized right can you put on a lot of miles with Pac boots?

Ryan I just did a couple all day elk hunts in a pair of new schnees 13” hunter 2’s. First day I wore them I packed out 2 cows with a friend. Second day was just gun walking. So far, I can say yes, it’s doable. But it was pretty tough coming off steep ridges with a pack full of meat, your toes want to slide into the front of the boot. Grip, side hilling, etc wasn’t the end of the world, and I never had heel issues. I did notice they are super flexible compared to a mountain boot, so I got worked more going uphill

Back when I used to do a lot of rifle hunting, I used to hike 10+ miles every day in my Sorels in the snow. Only way I could stay warm was to keep moving, so I'd keep moving from before first light to after shooting hours. Pac boots are pretty darn comfortable IMO.........so are warm feet.

I put a lot of miles on in my Schnee's Hunter II boots and love them! My feet stay warm and are very comfortable. I feel they support my feet very well and I have NO ISSUES at all hiking in them when it's cold and snowy.

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Whites Elk Guides and a pair of Schnee Western Packers. I much prefer the Western Packers because of a narrower foot bed. My feet don't slide around like they do in the Whites. I spend my winters here on the ranch in the Schnees. Everything from lion and coyote hunting to work chores, to getting around on a snowmobile. Plus they are narrow enough that I can use my MSR snowshoes if I need to. I'll 2nd the suggestion of the air-bob sole. Worth its weight in gold in slippery conditions.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Love hearing all of the awesome feedback guys! (Good and bad). I pass it all along to out boot builders and production Mgr.

I'll 2nd the suggestion of the air-bob sole. Worth its weight in gold in slippery conditions.

Air-bob soles are simply the best traction soles out there. Schnee's has a very good air-bob on the soles' of their boots! These are also worth their weight in gold and sure keep a person from slipping and sliding all the time. I love them. Either of these brands are fantastic.

MICROspikes(R)

Trail Crampon - HillsoundUSA

I've put a pile of miles on my schnees pack boots with no problem. Now mainly use a stiffer boot with gaiters. Currently wearing schnees Teton.

Woodsboss

FNG
I put lots of miles on a pair of Lacrosse Big Mountains chasing lions in your country. I currently have a pair of Hoffman Outbacks. The key in both of these boots is the extra ankle support with the strap used in the ankle area. Other than getting used to the extra weight, under the right conditions I wouldn't trade them. Nothing like warm dry feet during a sloppy north Idaho November whitetail hunt.

sab

Lil-Rokslider
I had Hoffman’s make me a pair of 14” Voyagers with the ankle strap from the Outback a couple years ago. I wanted a warmer boot with felt insoles because I get cold feet. I’ve now worn them on two 4th season elk hunts in Northern Colorado, hiking 5-10 miles per day up and down ridges. I love them!

I work in the woods and have put a lot of miles on in Pac boots over the years. I have narrow feet and have tried Schnees, Kenetrek, and Whites. They were all too wide and sloppy for me (I think I could have fit both my feet side by side in the Whites that I tried).

I have been wearing Hoffmans thinsulate Pacs for several years now and they are the only Pacs that I have tried that fit my feet well enough to want to put 10+ mile days on them.

Co-workers that have tried Whites have also had terrible luck with durability in comparison to Hoffmans. Schnees and Kenetrek look like they are high quality, just didn't fit my feet.

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
I hike in Sorel paks for elk hunting in snow ONLY. I would never use then for rocky or dry conditions, but they can't be beat for cold and snow in mountainous terrain.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord