Who does long hikes with pac boots?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I am thinking about buying some. If sized right can you put on a lot of miles with Pac boots?

KHNC

WKR
Holy Shit i hated those things the first time i went to Nebraska with a pair on. I think its pretty hard to get a fit that your feet wont slide around in. I would never try it again.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Back when I used to do a lot of rifle hunting, I used to hike 10+ miles every day in my Sorels in the snow. Only way I could stay warm was to keep moving, so I'd keep moving from before first light to after shooting hours. Pac boots are pretty darn comfortable IMO.........so are warm feet.

Who? People that hate themselves! I've never found a pair that fit well enough for lots of walking, if some exist I'd be really interested in them. I've had better luck with insulated mountaineering boots. They are really stiff but keep you warm and fit well

For me, they always fit kinda sloppy and while ok for flatter terrain I couldnt tighten them up enough to do much in the mountains.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Holy Shit i hated those things the first time i went to Nebraska with a pair on. I think its pretty hard to get a fit that your feet wont slide around in. I would never try it again.
Were you wearing pacs? Or something like muck boots?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
I used to to deer drive's in Cabelas Inferno 2000 gram Pac Boots. Probably walked 8 to 10 miles a day and never had an issue.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Whisky

WKR
I was looking into this last year and I remember mtwarden, and others putting on many many miles in them. Maybe they will chime in.
I haven't made the plunge yet, as I'm still skeptical of their comfort. But a 800-1000grm Thinsulate hunting boot doesn't seem to cut it anymore for late season glassing sessions or stand sits. So i'm in the same boat.

bruno59

WKR
I have a pair of kenetreks and a pair of schnees and have put many miles on them in the mtns. no problem they are a little heavy and only come in whole sizes but if you get them to fit right they work fine just did 8 miles in them the other day in wet snow feet were dry and warm

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I have thousands of miles on some old, old Schnees, but I am DONE with them. Last rebuild lasted three years with a very very low mile count; must be Chinese bottoms now, they were all cracked to shit when I pulled them out to get them ready for my last minute musk Ox hunt in September. Picked up a new pair of Kennetreks right away and have no complaints.

Having an extra pair of liners at a base camp is a nice luxury the pac boot offers. I killed my Stone sheep in those old Schnees; they saved my ass after my “mountain” boots did not live up to their billing. They aren’t perfect for anything but they do everything not too bad.

Don't rule out a pair of boot blankets if your looking for something to keep your feet warm when stopping for a while.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Don't rule out a pair of boot blankets if your looking for something to keep your feet warm when stopping for a while.
Just reminded me I need to throw mine in my bag for my flight tomorrow lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ryan, just saw this. I'd say as long as you don't need a lot of ankle support or are carrying more than 40lbs, you'd be surprised the miles you can put on a good fitting pac. I'd bet I've had a few 5-8 mile days in mine and just as notable, I've worn them in very steep terrain, the kind you need a walking stick in. Mine are the Schnee's Hunter II

Wrench

WKR
I have logged a bunch in my Hoffmans and whites. Hoffman makes a superior package that has quality rubber. They are heavy...but my meindl and crispi are not exactly light.

I think the Canada 800 meindl was the ticket....but I haven't seen them for a few years.

Jimss

WKR
I wore my sorels several days on this years Nebraska whitetail hunt in snow and super cold/wind. I probably walked 10 miles each of the 2 days I wore them. I spent hours glassing and my feet were toasty warm! After the snow melted I change back to my Lowa Vantages and my feet were significantly colder wearing the same socks. I usually wear Lowa Tibets with insulated socks but forgot them. My sorels are a bit heavier than my Tibets and would also be a lot tougher to use on super steep, rocky terrain.

With that said, if I was going to sit and glass for hours with limited hiking in snow and wind my preference would be sorels. If I was going to hike lots of miles on super steep, rocky terrain in snow/wind I would use my Tibets plus gators.

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
I wore my sorels several days on this years Nebraska whitetail hunt in snow and super cold/wind. I probably walked 10 miles during the 2 days I wore them. Although I did a lot of hiking I spent hours glassing and my feet were toasty warm! After the snow melted I change back to my Lowa Vantages. My feet were significantly colder in the lowas and the same socks. I usually wear Lowa Tibets with insulated socks but forgot them. My sorels are a bit heavier than my Tibets. I would have worn Tibets plus gators if I hadn't forgotten them.

With that said, if I was going to sit and glass for hours with limited hiking in snow and wind my preference would be sorels. If I was going to hike lots of miles on super steep, rocky terrain in snow/wind I would use my Tibets plus gators.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I had a pair of Grizzly Boot Company pac boots (wore out hunting/working in the woods) and I still have a pair of White’s pac boots. I really liked them since I tend to get cold toes. I don’t think either are currently available but the Hoffman’s look similar. Despite their weight, I never had any difficulty covering several miles a day in them. The air bob type sole is one of my favorites in snow.

A couple of cons: I wear a size 12 so they don’t fit in a lot of snowshoe bindings or in the universal bindings for my Altai Hok skis. Also, the quick lace hooks are not very friendly to snowmobile seats.

Wrench

WKR
I did 4 miles in my Hoffmans today chasing elk in 12-20" snow. I forgot how much I like them. I've been doing the perfekt with gaiters, but the pacs worked great today and offered more floatation than the perfect.

I am still pissed that I didn't have my snowshoes.

Jimss

WKR
One consideration if you buy a pack boot....you may want to order an extra set of "booties". If you are hunting and get 1 set wet you have another dry replacement. Possibly rotate the inserts each day so 1 pair is dry. If you're near electricity a boot drier also works well.