Making normal width boots work for narrow feet

I'm on the hunt for some good boots that fit narrow feet, and I'm not planning on buying anything pricey that doesn't give me a near-perfect fit. But I have some boots I use for work, Keen Targhees and Voyageurs, that I use all the time but have always been wide. Does anyone with narrow feet have experience making do with normal width boots? Is there anything that can be done to make a better fit? I'm wondering if insoles could help, or if there are any other tricks I could try.

wyodan

WKR
I've always struggled with this as well. The best I've been able to do is get some quality insoles to take up a bit of volume. For quality boots, Hanwags seem to fit my heel the best.

OP
W
Thanks for the advice. I contacted Lowa and they mentioned the Renegades and steered me away from some of the boots I'd been interested in, like the Ranger. They mentioned the Camino as a potential good fit, and sure enough it seemed all right when I tried it on at REI the other day. I think I'll try to get my hands on a narrow pair of Renegades soon.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have narrow feet, but I've always used normal D width boots. Currently have two pair of Zamberlan Dakota's and a pair of Crispi's all with Superfeet Orange insoles. I've never really had any issues with any boots going back almost 40 years, except Danner Pronghorns.

Phaseolus

WKR
Western, I also have the Caminos and they work weel for my narrow feet. I do wear custom insoles in all my boots and wear a heavy sock with a sock liner. The Camino is a bit heavier and stiffer than the Renegade. I also ‘think’ it will be a longer lasting boot becaue it has a lot less stitching and a high runner rand. I like both boots but use the Caminos in rougher terrain or while carrying a heavier pack. I have not had the Caminos as long as I’ve had Renegades so have not tested my ‘wear’ theory with long term personal use. REI carries the Camino so you could buy a pair from them and be able to return it no questions asked for up to a year. REi will not order the Renegades in narrow and don’t carry them in narrow.

Poltax

Lil-Rokslider
I have a "B" width foot. Kennetrek does stock "B" widths. But I have not seen a dealer that has them in stock. I am currently using Zamberlin 980 Guide, with green superfeet and thick Thorlo socks and a thin liner. This combo has been working for me for the last couple of seasons. At some point I woul like to try the Kennetreks if some one has them in stock.

I went with the 980's because they provide awsome ankle support and have a faily stiff sole. They just feel good on. I had been using Asolo Fugitives and they fit my feet fine but the ankle support did not work for me.

Evergreen

WKR
I'm part of the narrow foot club and it sucks!! What I have that works are Kenetrek in narrow, crispi Summits with super feet orange and most recently Crispi Briksdahl no aftermarket insole needed and Just received today Crispi Thor no insole needed either.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I need 7B on one foot, 7C on the other, and got tired of trying to make D width boots quit giving me blisters. I finally went with Whites Outdoorsmans in 7C and love them. Whites pack boots also seem narrower than others and I’ve never had trouble with them.

I also buy women’s running shoes. It’s hard to avoid the girly colors, but black and gray are available with a little digging.