Need advice for first fancy boots

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
Up until this year I've been able to get by just fine with muck boots for most of my hunting. A couple friends and I decided we are going to go out west in 2019 to chase elk so I picked up a slightly used pair of Irish setter elk trackers on here. They were great for about 75 miles and then I started getting a pressure point on the top part of my right heel. I tried to tough it out and it only got worse, I actually walked with a limp from it for about 6 weeks before it healed. So I'm back in muck boots and am in the market for some fancy boots.

The idea of spending over $300 on boots still gives me a lot of sticker shock. Especially when I dont have a local retailer for any of these brands and wont be able to try them on first. But I dont mind spending the money if I'm getting my money's worth. Hoping I can find something now so I can get them good and broken in by september.

What should I be looking for and what recommendations do you guys have? What company's are the best to work with if there is a fit issue and they need to be exchanged for a different size? Any brand/model recommendations? These will get most of their use just general hiking, trapping, whitetail, Turkey and small game hunting, a little backpacking here and there. and packing out a whitetail or two each year 1/2 to 2 or 3 miles. Then at least one 10 day trip for elk out west, which will most likely be followed up with additional elk trips and other big game. Tha is for any help or advice!

It’s super personal. Hard to take anyone’s recommendation and rely on it because it’s all about your feet. I’ve used Zamberlan, Schnee’s, and Crispi and I’m lucky in that they all fit great. So I can vouch for those three and they all fit true to size. If you have any specific foot issues let us know so the guys that share them can comment. Flat feet, wide feet, stuff like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
Salomon Quest 4d seem to work well with just about everyone's feet. They aren't waterproof but they are great boots otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Tmddmt7

FNG
Crispi! I wear the crispi Idaho’s and they are great, water proof, rigid, fit my feet great and hardly any brake in time, Idaho’s are more for steeper country, however they make the Wyoming’s which are the small version and better for all around stuff, along with the many other models they carry. I can also get these boots very tight especially with the heel lock in which is great for downhill and side hilling. Hope this helps.

Lots of high quality boots out there. The key is to find a pair that fits your feet. If your serious about putting on some miles go to a store and find something that works for you. What's available for you might not have a rokslide review but will fit your feet. You could also try ordering several sets and returning what you don't like. Retailer is best I find as you need a full day of wear around house before you have an idea of fit. Also wear the socks you will be hunting in.

Like others have said, this is a hard one to recommend a specific boot. I am currently gearing up for my first hunt and I decided I was going to try Crispi for my first pair of nice hunting boots.

I took advantage of the Black Ovis sale, and to address not being able to try them on I first called to check on the return policy. As long as they aren't worn outside they will return within 30 days so I figured I could try them on and walk around the house for an hour or two which should give me an idea of if they were going to work or flat out not be the boot for me.

I ordered a set of Crispi Briksdals and a pair of Green SuperFeet. Just got them last night, threw the insoles in and walked around the house a bit. Realized for my foot the SuperFeet were not the insoles for me so I took them out and put the Crispi ones back in. Walked around a bit more in the house then just chilled with them on for a couple hours. Everything felt good so today I went out in the morning to grab an SD card from my game cam, only about a mile round trip walk. Kept them on from about 8 this morning to 4 this afternoon and the only thing I noticed was that I may need to leave the laces on the bottom a little looser.

My biggest advice would be what type of boot you want(flexible, stiff, leather, synthetic, etc.), then look at the top brands that meet the criteria and go from there. I happened to listen to the Gritty podcast about Crispis so had a good idea it was a great quality boot and tried them out. They fit great from what I can tell so far. That's what worked for me, may or may not be the same for you. Hope you find the boot for you.

Also, my Muck boots give me blisters if I walk too fast for half a mile, you must have some tough feet haha.

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
My primary recommendation is to make sure you get them about a half size larger than you would normally. You don't want your feet to swell and lose wiggle room and you don't want your toes bumping up against the end of the boot on down hills, etc

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Whitecaps

Lil-Rokslider
Bought my first legit pair of boots (Crispi Guide GTX) and couldnt ask for a better fit and feel. I havent put my muck boots back on. Mostly hunting in the southeast and this boots are great. Using gaitors as well- I may be the only hunter using gaitors in southeast but they are very nice to keep my pants dry and clean, as well as keeping some warmth. I have now added a second pair of boots- the crispi Summits. They are a great choice for archery season and love to wear them even just around the house. Went to the midwest on a whitetail hunt and used both for alternating days depending on weather.

mparks270

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my first set of fancy boots this year for a trip to the Utah high country. Went to SunRay's in Fenton, MI and they had Crispi, Kenetrek, and a few others. Their staff was very helpful. They have a small, rock wall in the showroom that is on an angle. I'd been to Alaska on a pair of Irish Setters with very little ankle support so I knew I needed something stiffer for side-hilling with a heavy pack.

I settled on a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400s after trying on a few others. When it was time to pack meat off the mountain I was very thankful for the ankle support that felt a little stiff and uncomfortable on training hikes around home. Since they have 400 grams of Thinsulate I've been able to use them for cold weather deer hunts here in MI.

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
I went with Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400's about 6 years ago, I love them for support going up and down the mountain. When I returned from my second trip out west this year I sent them off to Bozeman for new soles, $175 well spent. Everyone's feet are different so try as many as you can, if Kenetreks feel good that would be my choice.

kipper09

WKR
I would take a look at the Hoffman Explorer. I think they are the most under the radar boot there is. It has great support. Fit extremely well (for me) and have held up great for me. Just another option to research. And their customer service is exceptional.

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
I went with Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400's about 6 years ago, I love them for support going up and down the mountain. When I returned from my second trip out west this year I sent them off to Bozeman for new soles, $175 well spent. Everyone's feet are different so try as many as you can, if Kenetreks feel good that would be my choice.

+1
I went in for the same boot. I have flippers for feet, so needed a super wide boot. The kenetreks fit the bill

I would take a look at the Hoffman Explorer. I think they are the most under the radar boot there is. It has great support. Fit extremely well (for me) and have held up great for me. Just another option to research. And their customer service is exceptional.

I agree with this post. I bought a pair of Hoffmans about a month ago and they are very comfy in the field and very stable for my liking. They fit true to size.

hiway_99

FNG
I use the crispi hunter gtx boots. For me their extremely comfortable. I'm currently using the green super feet insoles. One thing about buying a top tier boot is they have decent resale if you dont like them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have Kenetreks and have Crispi's coming in the mail. I think my next ones might be custom boots from Lathrop and Sons. That sounds like the best way to go.

I'm interested to see how you like the Crispi's compaired to the Kenetrek.

I have the kenetrek mountain extremes and just go my crispi summits yesterday. I walked on the treadmill a couple miles. They are really apples and oranges. The kenetreks are a really stiff boot and the crispi summits are not as stiff. At this point my foot prefers the crispi summits. Right now i love them. Very comortable out of the box.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wear Asolo. It's the only boot I've ever hunted in as an adult (even in the late winter).
I highly doubt that'll change anytime soon but as you can see there are a lot of great options.
If I were to look at something taller than Asolo I'd prob go to a Kenetrek. Just my $.02