Do your boots change as the season goes on?

I need to get a new pair of boots pretty quickly to start breaking them in. I have an archery elk hunt planned this mid September for Colorado elk. I've never been so I don't exactly know what to expect but from what I'm reading it can be anywhere from high 20's at night to 70's or more during the day for temps. I also have a Wyoming rifle elk hunt in the works for 2020. That would be an October hunt from what I understand, so I'm expecting it to be a bit cooler.

For you guys that do a lot of hunting in the mountains, at what point do you switch, if at all, to an insulated or taller boot due to snow and such? Is there one type of boot that will meet my needs for both of these hunts?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
It depends on how hot or cold your feet seem to run, but I wouldn’t recommend much if any insulation in a boot, although something 200g or less might work for some. When the snow gets over a foot deep and it’s freezing all day, then I’ll start to run an insulated tall boot.

I’d take a look at something 8” or 9”, synthetic or leather depending on your preference, with a full rubber rand. If you’re only going a few days and/or super worried about weight and EVA midsole may be fine - a PU midsole is going to be heavier, longer lasting and provide better comfort under load. Since you’re talking about break-in now, I’d recommend PU.

grfox92

WKR
It depends on how hot or cold your feet seem to run, but I wouldn’t recommend much if any insulation in a boot, although something 200g or less might work for some. When the snow gets over a foot deep and it’s freezing all day, then I’ll start to run an insulated tall boot.

I’d take a look at something 8” or 9”, synthetic or leather depending on your preference, with a full rubber rand. If you’re only going a few days and/or super worried about weight and EVA midsole may be fine - a PU midsole is going to be heavier, longer lasting and provide better comfort under load. Since you’re talking about break-in now, I’d recommend PU.
What is EVA and PU?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
What is EVA and PU?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mid sole foam types - outsole = “vibram, “goodyear” etc rubber. Mid sole is what’s between your foot and that. Tennis shoes are EVA foam, for comparison.

Perhaps google “anatomy of a mountain boot” and the journal of mountain hunting article should pop up explaining it, albeit through the lens of a schnees marketing plug. It’s a good summary of attributes to consider though. Boot choice ultimately depends on your feet, how you hunt, and what you value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very rarely do I want anything but non-insulated leather gore tex boots Sept-Nov in the northern rockies but that depends on the type of hunt. If its a private land ranch hunt with lots of time sitting or in vehicles or if you spend a lot of time on a horse you might want a little insulation at times. For high activity DIY type hunts I sweat too much for insulation.

elkguide

WKR
Totally up to your individual needs and preference. My feet unfortunately haven't always been kept warm enough and now I get cold feet easily so I run at least 200g and usually 400g boots. I'm way more concerned with support and sole for the terrain that I am hunting in. So I begin with a boot that fits correctly, works with the terrain, is super comfortable and then get that model with 200g to 400gs insulation. The other critical aspect is that the boot most definitely is a boot that is waterproof.

JohnnyB

WKR
I stick with my non insulated gore Tex boots except for special situations. Tomorrow I am heading out bear hunting near Yosemite. We just got a bunch of fresh snow with more on the way and I won’t be hiking a ton but mostly glassing. My 400gs insulated boots will get the nod for this but they are normally too warm.

Mosby

WKR
I always have two pair of boots with me in the truck. For Idaho archery I had Asolo uninsulated hiking boots and 200 gr thinsulate Lowa's. I wore both scouting, hunting and going into town. When we hiked in for three days, I wore the Lowa's. It got into the teens and I was fine. For Colorado rifle I had the Lowa's and a pair of Zamberlains which have the equivalent of 400-500 grams of thinsulate. As it got colder so did my feet and I wore the Zamberlains the last two days. I could have made due with the Lowa's for both and simply go for a walk when my feet got cold. Sometimes you make due and go with what you got but a couple of different weight boots are nice to have. I also had boots separate from the sole in the middle of a hunt. Having another pair in the truck, saved my butt.

Caconym

FNG
I have a pair of Danner Ft Lewis that I've worn pretty much every day for the last 5 years. They're on their second set of soles. Goretex liner. Here it gets down to about -10C at the overnight minimum and 40C daily max in summer (only lasts a week or two), so insulation isn't too big of an issue for me. I run thick Darn Tough socks in winter and thin ones in summer. Sure, on hot days I'd prefer something cooler, but it's a small price to pay for footwear that at this point is like part of my body.

setch

WKR
I archery hunt in uninsulated Asolos or 200g schnee's beartooth boots, use danner canadians for still hunting during rifle season, and Schnee's extreme pack boots for Jan late season blackpowder. Like Caconym, I stick to Darn Tough socks as they are simply the best I have found.

I use a pair of asolo hikers at the start of season. I switch to a set of crispi Idaho’s at some point and then go back and forth to a set of kenetrek mountain extremes depending on weather. Budget permitting I think it is nice to match footwear to the conditions.

Wrench

WKR
Gaiters can add a ton of warmth to your boots for almost no weight penalty. ...

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
Gaiters can add a ton of warmth to your boots for almost no weight penalty. ...
Yes to the gaiters. That's all you really need when it snows imo unless you are sitting for long stints. I'd start with a pair of uninsulated full grain leather boots with rubber rand. Make sure to get a half size big so your feet have room if they swell a little in heat or elevation. The bigger size also helps keep your toes warm because you can wear a little thicker sock without compressing it too much.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk