Love my salomon boots but wearing them out too fast? Replacement suggestions?

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
So I absolutely love my salomon's, have been rocking many pairs for years, love the weight but hate the fact that they lose there waterproofing so fast and really don't last that long. Does anyone have any experience from switching there quests to a boot just like it, but one that last long and stays dry long? Please share if so, not looking to spend over $400 and dont want/need another heavy set of trekking boots... TIA

When i was in my late teens early 20s. I hunted a lot with the GTX line and went thru a pair of boots almost every 2-3 years. My biggest complaint with the Salomon brand is same as yours. Waterproofing sucks after some time and is what made me want to buy a new pair of boots first, I never wore the soles out but just couldn’t take the wetness and sore feet anymore.

The final straw i had with mine was hiking on an afternoon with snow that was calf deep. And 2 hours into the hike my feet were just trashed from the boots being soaked thru. The next season i finally made the big investment into Kenetreks and I haven’t looked back since. No more wet or sore feet. And I make sure to take care of the boots

The more expensive boots in my mind last longer before they breakdown. If your buying a pair of $230 Solomon’s every other year why not just make a $400 investment on a pair of boots up front that will get you more time and comfort in the long run? It was worth it for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Scarpa Revolution....Solomon’s for many years, but they didn’t hold up well enough. Switched to the Scarpas and they have been awesome.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Scarpa Revolution....Solomon’s for many years, but they didn’t hold up well enough. Switched to the Scarpas and they have been awesome.

How are those Scarpas for room in the toe box, Doug?

Might have to give them a shot if my hobbit feet will squeeze in there.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have had zero issues with them from day one. No break in period for me either. I have about 300 miles in them and they still feel great. I have a narrow foot to begin with, so I don’t ever get cramped in the toe box area to begin with. I bought 11’s and I wore 11’s in the Solomons too.

topher89

WKR
Super comfortable boots but they never lasted. Leaky within a few months every time.

I switched to the Crispi Wyomings and am much happier.

How are the Crispi Wyoming/Idaho/Summits in the heel area? I have haglunds and am having a hell of a time finding a boot outside of the Quests. Seems like stiffer boots are a no-go with this condition. I'm considering picking up a pair of one of the above to try out. Maybe even throw Dakota, Lapponia and Valdres in there as well.

Sorry to derail, if you guys want you can PM me to preserve OPs thread.

sako49541

FNG
I have the Quests as well as the Dakota's. Both fit and comfort are equal. Had to go up a size in both. Edge to Crispi for durability, but your also paying for it!

I have the Quests as well as the Dakota's. Both fit and comfort are equal. Had to go up a size in both. Edge to Crispi for durability, but your also paying for it!

The durability would be welcome, especially with the waterproofing.

nrh6.7

WKR
I have the Quests and they were one of the most comfortable (out of the box) boots I own. For durability, waterproofness and longevity I prefer Zamberlans. They fit me very close the the Salomons and feel just as good or better after they break in. Also have some Scarpas and to me the toe box is noticably more narrow.

Gobspur

FNG
Ive had several pair of salomon quests. Most comfortable boot Ive ever worn. I just buy a new pair every year, but fortunate I can do so. Usually find them for under 200 on amazon. Some have held there waterproofness longer than others. I did decide to give the crispi idahos a try last year. Put over 50 miles on them in the summer training. Up and down eastern hills with 40lb pack. Fit and felt great. 5 miles into my colorado elk hunt with 60 lb pack, and my heels were toast. Back to the salomons and they did great rest of trip.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I've been wearing a pair of Mammut Trovats this year. Not a brand you see mentioned much but I am really liking them. My feet don't do well with excessively stiff boots (Kenetrek, Lowa Tibets, Scarpa Fuegos, etc) and the Mammuts seem to provide just enough stability/durability while still being flexible.