Advice on hunting socks

Trial153

WKR
I've tried most other than farm to feet which are on my list but I need to wear some out first. Trail what model Farm to feet are you running and how does the thickness compare to the Gore socks?

Gore - by far the best sock I've worn, for whatever reason my feet are warmer when its cold and cooler when its hot and always drier than when I wear darn tough. These are about all I wear now because they just flat work and I have less drying or switching of socks to do.
Darn Tough - they are great socks and the warranty is real but my feet were always cool and clammy and when I would take the socks off they were very saturated. I just don't think there is enough loft in them to effectively move and manage moisture. This is across the Micro Crew Hiker, Boot sock cushion and boot sock full cushion models.
Lorpen Merino Light Hiker - can be found for $5-6 per pair and perform extremely well. They will pill a bit more than the previous two but they do work and seem to hold a little less moisture than the DT for me.
Kuiu original - very thick sock for me so could only wear with one pair of boots but they did work well, over time they lost some of the elasticity and became almost brittle and I ripped a hole in the cuff pulling them on one day. They are still the dedicated sock for that particular pair of boots because the thickness works so well but I would say they perform similar to Darn Tough otherwise.
Smartwool - have not held up well at all for me with lots of pilling and I wear holes in them fast
Bridgedale - I think they have the best liner out there and I like their socks and are what I moved to after I decided Darn Tough was great but didn't work for my feet. These are loftier socks without getting too thick so I think they move the moisture off your feet better.
Wigwam are alright but perform similar to Smartwool for me.
Point Six - only have one pair but they have held up and worked well. I would say they are in the middle of the lineup.
Icebreaker - I actually like these alot and feel like they are very comfortable, performance is middle of the road.

My preferred order is Gore (should be released again this year hopefully, Mountain Archery had some still in August of this year and he told me they were going to be released again), Bridgedale, Lorpen/Darn Tough, Kuiu, Icebreaker, Point Six, Smartwool, Wigwam
The mid weights compares to Gore.

For all my higher ( hunting boots) I use basicly two styles of Farm to Feet. The Ely both mid and light weight. I also used and like the Slate OTC, which is full cushion very similar to the Ely, I have about 10-15 days on them and they been excellent.

For shorter boots 6" or hikers I been using the Boulder in light and mid weight.

If I had to choose one weight it would be the mid weight as I use them 80/20 over the light weight.
The once November hits or standing for whitetails I switch over to my heavy Filsons.

Darn Tough last forever, but other than that I don't really like them. They seem to breathe poorly and dry slow. I much prefer the Smartwool PhD, but they don't last as long.

The COSTCO Merino socks are great for me. Wash them hot and dry them in the dryer to keep them snug fitting. Like ljalberta says, they wear very well and are super cheap...up to $4 CA per pair now. I double them up in my Muck boots and LLBean boots. Wear one pair in my Meindl boots for mountain huntng

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
I have small feet for my size, so my feet take a beating. The only way I’ve found to take care of my feet are injinji toe socks under darn tough socks. I change them when they get warm, dry the others. This prevents me from getting blisters and hot spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second those injinji liners...I wear them under first lite, Costco, farm to feet, and smart wool and have had no hot spots since getting the liners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
When you compare the thorlo mountaineering to the wigwam or Costco socks it quickly looks like comparing a kifaru pack to an ozark trail pack.

I'm guy who logs at least 50-75 days in these socks and spent several years around 300# and still put on many miles a day.

My 15 year old socks are still in better shape than new wigwams.

Darn Tough for me. I wear them every day, regardless if I'm wearing boots, sneakers or whatever. I also have some Smartwool that I wear occasionally when the Mrs gets behind on the laundry. But to me they're no where near as good as the Darn Toughs.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Thank everyone for the advice

After reading all these replies, you're probably further away from square one than you were before posting this thread.;) Just goes to show you how all over the place people are, how different they use their stuff, and how different expectations are.

Anyone try the First lite socks?

Yep had to give them to my friend with smaller feet since their biggest size it too small and digs into the front of my ankles. I had the L/XL tall version and my feet are 13-14 depending on the shoe or boot. My friend wears 11 and has much smaller ankles and they work for him. This was in 2012 or 13 when their socks first came out and they still haven’t figured out you can’t fit very many feet with only two sizes. I bought my friend a pair of gore socks and he doesn’t wear the first lite anymore for hunting.

snakelk

WKR
When you compare the thorlo mountaineering to the wigwam or Costco socks it quickly looks like comparing a kifaru pack to an ozark trail pack.

I'm guy who logs at least 50-75 days in these socks and spent several years around 300# and still put on many miles a day.

My 15 year old socks are still in better shape than new wigwams.

I'm a fan of the Thorlo mountaineering socks as well. I have many different brands, including Smartwool, Darn Tough, Wigwam, Point 6, Costco, etc. but the Thorlo's are the ones I reach for. Comfortable, warm, and they last longer than the others.

I use FL merino socks and love them. No matter what boot/sock combo I use I will get a hot spot somewhere. I use the Engo prevention pads inside my shoes. They work really well and wistand water (even a submersion) if applied well.

davsco

WKR
thorlos recently dropped their 'hunting' sox. i have 3 pairs and really like them, super thick and padded. out in colo at cabelas i also got a pair of their thickest socks, really like those also. smartwool and darn tough are too thin for me, i like thick and padded. point 6 is nice but a step down in thickness from thorlos.