Advice on hunting socks

Wassid82

WKR
Looking to know what people have found to be the best hunting/hiking socks. I’ve tried several brands I tend to use Marino wool sock most often but sometime I’m still getting hot spots on my feet. Ant recommendations?

Gsquared

Lil-Rokslider
I've found great success with the Kenetrek system. Terrific liner with the Canada model sock. Comfortable and warm.

Jimss

WKR
You might give Thorlos and Smartwool a try. All of my socks have additional padding in the balls of the socks. Even some of the thinner Thorlos and other socks have additional padding in the ball and other areas of the socks. I would also recommend tossing the insoles that come with your boots and replace them with insoles that work best for your particular feet. I prefer cushioned insoles. I also buy boots that are about 1 size larger so thicker padded insoles plus padded socks fit. When I wear thinner socks I merely tighten up the laces....thicker socks loosen up the laces. I also buy boots (Lowas) that offer wide sizes. It may take trial and error to figure out the best scenario for your particular feet! It sure makes life a lot easier once you figure it out!

EastMT

WKR
I have small feet for my size, so my feet take a beating. The only way I’ve found to take care of my feet are injinji toe socks under darn tough socks. I change them when they get warm, dry the others. This prevents me from getting blisters and hot spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
You can't go wrong with either Darn Tough or Smart Wool, they both last a long time and come in a variety of weights. I have used both for many years.

Bl704

WKR
Another vote for darn tough, but two other thoughts:
1) proactively tape with leukotape where you get hot spots/blisters (e.g. heels,outside of small toe, etc)
2) take a look at different lacing patterns for shoes/boots.

Trial153

WKR
I have Darn tuff, Gore, Farm to feel, Smart wool and Filson right now.

Gore is excellent however you can't get them. The two like the best by far are Farm to Feet and Flison. I think Darn Tough are my least favorite actually

I've tried most other than farm to feet which are on my list but I need to wear some out first. Trail what model Farm to feet are you running and how does the thickness compare to the Gore socks?

Gore - by far the best sock I've worn, for whatever reason my feet are warmer when its cold and cooler when its hot and always drier than when I wear darn tough. These are about all I wear now because they just flat work and I have less drying or switching of socks to do.
Darn Tough - they are great socks and the warranty is real but my feet were always cool and clammy and when I would take the socks off they were very saturated. I just don't think there is enough loft in them to effectively move and manage moisture. This is across the Micro Crew Hiker, Boot sock cushion and boot sock full cushion models.
Lorpen Merino Light Hiker - can be found for $5-6 per pair and perform extremely well. They will pill a bit more than the previous two but they do work and seem to hold a little less moisture than the DT for me.
Kuiu original - very thick sock for me so could only wear with one pair of boots but they did work well, over time they lost some of the elasticity and became almost brittle and I ripped a hole in the cuff pulling them on one day. They are still the dedicated sock for that particular pair of boots because the thickness works so well but I would say they perform similar to Darn Tough otherwise.
Smartwool - have not held up well at all for me with lots of pilling and I wear holes in them fast
Bridgedale - I think they have the best liner out there and I like their socks and are what I moved to after I decided Darn Tough was great but didn't work for my feet. These are loftier socks without getting too thick so I think they move the moisture off your feet better.
Wigwam are alright but perform similar to Smartwool for me.
Point Six - only have one pair but they have held up and worked well. I would say they are in the middle of the lineup.
Icebreaker - I actually like these alot and feel like they are very comfortable, performance is middle of the road.

My preferred order is Gore (should be released again this year hopefully, Mountain Archery had some still in August of this year and he told me they were going to be released again), Bridgedale, Lorpen/Darn Tough, Kuiu, Icebreaker, Point Six, Smartwool, Wigwam

Agross

WKR
I've tried most other than farm to feet which are on my list but I need to wear some out first. Trail what model Farm to feet are you running and how does the thickness compare to the Gore socks?

Gore - by far the best sock I've worn, for whatever reason my feet are warmer when its cold and cooler when its hot and always drier than when I wear darn tough. These are about all I wear now because they just flat work and I have less drying or switching of socks to do.
Darn Tough - they are great socks and the warranty is real but my feet were always cool and clammy and when I would take the socks off they were very saturated. I just don't think there is enough loft in them to effectively move and manage moisture. This is across the Micro Crew Hiker, Boot sock cushion and boot sock full cushion models.
Lorpen Merino Light Hiker - can be found for $5-6 per pair and perform extremely well. They will pill a bit more than the previous two but they do work and seem to hold a little less moisture than the DT for me.
Kuiu original - very thick sock for me so could only wear with one pair of boots but they did work well, over time they lost some of the elasticity and became almost brittle and I ripped a hole in the cuff pulling them on one day. They are still the dedicated sock for that particular pair of boots because the thickness works so well but I would say they perform similar to Darn Tough otherwise.
Smartwool - have not held up well at all for me with lots of pilling and I wear holes in them fast
Bridgedale - I think they have the best liner out there and I like their socks and are what I moved to after I decided Darn Tough was great but didn't work for my feet. These are loftier socks without getting too thick so I think they move the moisture off your feet better.
Wigwam are alright but perform similar to Smartwool for me.
Point Six - only have one pair but they have held up and worked well. I would say they are in the middle of the lineup.
Icebreaker - I actually like these alot and feel like they are very comfortable, performance is middle of the road.

My preferred order is Gore (should be released again this year hopefully, Mountain Archery had some still in August of this year and he told me they were going to be released again), Bridgedale, Lorpen/Darn Tough, Kuiu, Icebreaker, Point Six, Smartwool, Wigwam

I feel like you read my thoughts on the gore, darn tough, Lorpen, and wigwam socks. Like to a T. I haven't tried a couple of the others. Just curious what you heard as far as the gore socks being released again? The same sock or something a little different?

TBHasler

WKR
I second the use of the Injinji synth liners. Whatever I'm doing, if I'm hiking/hunting with or without weighted pack, I wear these.
For main sock, only Farm to Feet and Smartwool midweight padding socks have worked for me. Only buy them on sale/clearance to keep $ down. They aint cheap. Used to get hot spots at balls of feet, but went to injinji liners and a bit heavier padding on morino socks and have not had any issues since.

ChrisAU

WKR
I'm a huge proponent of Injinji toe sock liners and then a Darn Tough or First Lite over the calf merino sock. I've never come close to getting a blister of any kind with this combo. I used to get blisters between my toes, no more with the Injinjis, and they also help keep your toes warm.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I always, always, always wear a poly liner sock first, and then a merino boot sock over that. I currently use Smartwool Classics because they fit great, they stay put and don't bunch up in my boots, and they're comfortable. The Darn Tough ones I had seemed like they had a Teflon coating or something. I literally had to stop 1/2 dozen times a day to take my boots off and pull them back up. With my Smartwool, not even once. Been using these for at least 5 years now.

ljalberta

WKR
I use the Costco Merino trail socks. I've been using them for 4 years now backpacking and hunting. I think they're about 3$ a pair. They simply work and I can't see ever using anything else.