Salomon Quest 4D didn't work- something similar?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sadly my Salomon Quests didn't work- they actually fit pretty well- heel locked in, midfoot snug, but not overly- room in the toe box (could have been a little roomier), but they were causing a weird "stabbing" pain at the top of the boot- above my outside ankle, not a rubbing pain that would result in a blister. Anyways I had to send them back, this was after visiting with Salomon hoping they had an idea that would make them work.

The stiffness was exactly what I was looking for, the outsole was aggressive enough and the weight, while much heavier than my trail runners was still pretty light- I was happy with everything about the boot, except the damn pain above my ankle.

I ended ordering a pair of Keen Aphlex that I used the remainder of the season, nice boot and comfortable, but not stiff enough and outsole not aggressive enough, they'll get some use, but would prefer to find something a little sturdier.

Ideas what other similar boots I should look at? If it has a narrow toe box it's a non-starter for me, needs to be on the medium to roomy side.

Thanks

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The Lowa Zephyr is similar if I remember right.

Did you try another pair of Quests? Maybe another pair wouldn't pressure that point?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Lowa Zephyr is similar if I remember right.

Did you try another pair of Quests? Maybe another pair wouldn't pressure that point?

I didn't. I spoke to one of their "experts" and he said "return them, they won't work for you"- they didn't look weird or anything, possibly just too narrow at the very top of the boot???? Really don't know- have never had that happen before with boots.

I'll check into the Zephyr- thanks :)

How heavy are you and how many miles did you have on them? Reason I ask is I wear Quest 3ds daily and when I get a new pair they are surprisingly stiff and not that comfortable for a few weeks. I'm 210 +/-. They just surprise me with how stiff they can be for a flexible boot or shoe. I know the 4Ds are stiffer yet especially in the ankle support area.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
180-ish; I took them on a pretty long hike- the first 3-4 miles they felt pretty good, after that I was getting that pressure on the area above my ankle (outer)- I tried loosening up the upper laces- didn't help much, about 7-8 miles it was really hurting (thought I might even be bruised) and completely undid the upper laces which still didn't help a ton, but did effect the support when side-hilling- I ended going about 14 miles total, the last couple of miles back to the truck I was almost limping

I asked the "expert" if they needed break in, if there were alternative lacing schemes, would a boot stretcher help- he said no :)

It was definitely an unusual experience.

wapitibob

WKR
I had a pair of Danner mid height hikers that did the same thing from what you're saying. The top of the boot was just the right height to dig into the side of my ankle, on one foot.

Zephyr's are more flexible than the 4D's. You could try the Renegades but I recall them being more flexible as well, thin leather/soft sole. Salomon makes some similar boots to the 4D, maybe the Comet 3D or similar?
I ended up gong to Cevedale then to Hanwag Alaska and the Hanwag is more substantial but not a ski boot type stiffness.

Maybe the Crispi Wyoming?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
it was more pronounced on my right foot, but could feel it in both

the Zephyr's look similar weight/stiffness to the Aphlexs I have now, the the Rengades look slightly more robust- I see they come in a wide (E), my feet aren't overly wide, but it sometimes really helps the toe box room (the Keens definitely run a little wide- Superfeet and thicker socks make it just about right)

there are so many boots out there it does boggle the mind a little :)

Weekender

WKR
For a little wider toe box try salewa crows. I have a pair on order but no experience other then trying them on at REI. Felt great on and have top reviews. If you have an REI around or order some that are returnable they're worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
we have a REI in Missoula, going to be there just after Christmas- will check them out- thanks :)

mtwarden take a look at the Salewa Mountain Trainer Mid. I used them in 2015 and only sold them because they gave me a blister every time I wore them on the top outside of my heel. I would say they are slightly stiffer through the mid sole than the Salomon but not by alot. My heels are pretty pointy and high which is what caused the rubbing in the salewas. I believe you can get them through REI and be able to return them after wearing if they don't work. The Trailhead normally has them in the spring also but not returns there. I would say the fit is similar.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I looked at the Mountain Trainer, but the few reviews I read mentioned small toe box- they thought this was intentional as it was used as an approach shoe; haven't tried them myself so can't say if that's true or not- I do like everything else about the shoe. Worth trying on a pair for sure to see :)

I normally wear a wide and they worked for me. My foot is wide right where the toe joints to my foot are though. Lined up with where the rand had a little step down so it was pretty flexible

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ good deal :) I'll definitely add them to my "try out" list

my issue with toe boxes are my toes are long (Mom called them Irish toes :D) save the little one- almost all the same length as my big toe, so it's challenging to have enough room without wrecking the rest of the fit (heel, midfoot)

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
For a lighter weight boot I really like to lowa Camino. Good ankle support but not too stiff under foot. Got mine at Rei.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ how's the toebox for room? from the looks and description could be what I'm looking for

Mtwarden my toes sound about the same and my foot it widest where the little toe joint to the foot it. The Camino was way too narrow for my foot even In a wide. If you like the looks of that boot you might consider a Schnees Beartooth mid. Took some time but they shaped to my feet nicely

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ thanks! they are pretty local, so I can definitely try those out :)

I compared the Salomon 4D and the Lowa Tech Lite Hunter from Lathrop and Sons. I ended up buying the Lowa's. They just fit better with a stiffer sole.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ read a couple of reviews that folks stated a narrower heel with a roomy toebox- that's exactly what I want to read in a review!

I like a locked in heel, relatively snug midfoot and roomy toebox, very few boots offer this for some reason

After the salomons i went with the crispi Wyomings and will never look back! Good toe box, more stiff than the 4D's but not by much, good traction, similar lacing but does not chew up laces as fast. I've had them about 5 months and still cannot find a negative other than the insole which i swap out anyway.