Salomon Quest 4D didn't work- something similar?

kbob

FNG
It sounds like I have similar feet to yours - salomon quests just barely fit me. The following boots are not to the level of the boots typically on this forum but they fit me extremely well and have room for insole upgrade - try these at your local Dicks sporting goods store: Timberland Men's Chocorua Trail Mid GORE-TEX Hiking Boots. They come in wide and if you're looking for a day to day and light hiking boot these fit me great and may work for you. I do not wear them hunting in rough areas but they could do early season light use. I have never had any problem with the 3 pair i have owned, no soles coming off, no eyelets ripping out or any of the other problems you read about here on the big name boots. you might like them for daily wear.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sadly my Salomon Quests didn't work- they actually fit pretty well- heel locked in, midfoot snug, but not overly- room in the toe box (could have been a little roomier), but they were causing a weird "stabbing" pain at the top of the boot- above my outside ankle, not a rubbing pain that would result in a blister. Anyways I had to send them back, this was after visiting with Salomon hoping they had an idea that would make them work.

The stiffness was exactly what I was looking for, the outsole was aggressive enough and the weight, while much heavier than my trail runners was still pretty light- I was happy with everything about the boot, except the damn pain above my ankle.

I ended ordering a pair of Keen Aphlex that I used the remainder of the season, nice boot and comfortable, but not stiff enough and outsole not aggressive enough, they'll get some use, but would prefer to find something a little sturdier.

Ideas what other similar boots I should look at? If it has a narrow toe box it's a non-starter for me, needs to be on the medium to roomy side.

Thanks

I went from the 4D's to the La Sportiva Trango TRK's. So far I am liking them a lot better. Slightly more aggressive tread and stiffness but not much. First thing I noticed when I put them on was how much more of a real boot they felt like over the 4D's. The boot tops feel shorter to me as well, but still have good support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm hoping to try a pair of Trango Trek's. The reviews have been pretty solid, but I find it interesting that some say it has a roomy toebox, others narrow. I have tried four or five different La Sportiva trail runners and only one has worked for me (Akasha) fitment wise- all were very well constructed and all had very nice outsoles (also nice sticky compound in the outsoles).

I want to try their Omega as well- looks very similar to the Trek's, but with a leather upper.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
well I made it to Missoula, but never made it to REI- too much time having fun with the grandkids :)

I did find a good deal on a pair of Salewa Mountain Trainers- they have a free return if they don't fit, so I figured I'd give them a whirl

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've also got a pair of La Sportiva Omega's on the way (good deal on STP)- appears to be a very close leather version of the Trango Trek

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
received the Mtn Trainers today- first thoughts are a very nice outsole (Vibram), almost perfect stiffness that I'm looking for, nice rand around the boot, good construction and pretty lightweight at 23 oz/boot size 10.5

I tried them on with a pair of thin Darn Toughs, the heel is nicely locked and the midfoot feels decently cradled- I'm concerned the shape of the toe box is going to be a problem- my toes don't feel overly cramped, but don't feel overly roomy either

for comparison here's a side by side of the toe box of my favorite trail running shoe- Pearl Izumi Trail N2 next to the Mtn Trainers

46CAE4D5-A9F5-416C-8871-654C79F4A884_zpsf3rkwwek.jpg

Last edited:
OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the Salewas are getting boxed up and returned, by all appearances a capable boot, but the rather pointed toebox isn't going to work for me

the LaSporiva Omegas are scheduled to arrive today- the "hunt" continues :)

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the Omegas showed up, they are a couple of ounces heavier than the Salewa's (25 vs 23 oz), stiffness/rigidity is pretty darn close- the fit of the Salewa is a little more precise (heel locked in a little better, midfoot cradled a little better), but there is definitely more room in the toebox of the La Sportiva. The Omega has smooth leather uppers vs roughout of the Mtn Trainers, both have Vibram outsoles- the Mtn Trainer is a little more traditional, they both are pretty decently aggressive.

The Mtn Trainers have a full rand around them, the Omegas just the toe cap.

Not sure if the picture shows it, but the shape of the toe on the Omega (left) is more roomy friendly

sportivavsalewacomparo_zpsdbncs4lg.jpg

outsole comparo (Omega on left)

tivasalewaoutsolecomparo_zpsgiphyjzp.jpg

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
well the Omega's had some painful pressure on my right foot- outside near the base of my small toe; returned them for a 44.5 (these were 44), fit is better- more room in the toes, no pressure point on the outer

will wear them as much as possible around the house and keep my fingers crossed

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
update- these boots rock; perfect blend of performance (big mile days and several with significant loads) and weight, sadly they are discontinued- had I known, I’d have gotten two pairs

think I’m going to give the TRK’s a whirl for a replacement

Gonna have to read through this thread when I get some time. Although the 4d's fit well there not what I need.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I was able to find a pair of TRK's for under a $100- I pay that much for trail runners occasionally :), so have a pair ordered to give a whirl

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the Mountain Trainers seemed like a very solid boot, unfortunately fit didn't work for my feet

boom

WKR
i went from the Lowa Renegades to the Solomans Quest 4d.

i admit the Lowas were pretty awesome. i ONLY wore them on hikes and hunts (mostly hunts) and they didnt last that long. so i tried the Solomans. fit is great. stiffer. mine are pretty waterproof, so that is good. i've read of failures in the waterproofing. mine survived a Peruvian Rain forest..and more recently a monsoon season elk hunt.

i seriously dont know what i will get next. there are plenty of options. i am thankfully standing on pretty normally shaped feet.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I received my TRK's, similar to my Omega's- fit is very close which is almost always the biggest determinator in if a boot will work for me- toe box has enough room while the heel and mid foot feel locked in

side by side, obviously leather vs syn

dgwXdDg.jpg

beup6JC.jpg

both have Vibrams, different tread patterns though- the TRK compound feels a little stickier (although I've found the Omega plenty sticky in the rock)

mP7faYm.jpg

the TRK is definitely lighter, not a lot, but a 1/2 lb for the pair

GAXgfu4.jpg

FSqZPj4.jpg

the Omegas are proven, we'll see on the TRKs

I received my TRK's, similar to my Omega's- fit is very close which is almost always the biggest determinator in if a boot will work for me- toe box has enough room while the heel and mid foot feel locked in

side by side, obviously leather vs syn

dgwXdDg.jpg

beup6JC.jpg

both have Vibrams, different tread patterns though- the TRK compound feels a little stickier (although I've found the Omega plenty sticky in the rock)

mP7faYm.jpg

the TRK is definitely lighter, not a lot, but a 1/2 lb for the pair

GAXgfu4.jpg

FSqZPj4.jpg

the Omegas are proven, we'll see on the TRKs

Is it safe to say the TRK has a similar amount of toe room as the 4d's?

going by memory, but would say yes- what killed 4D's for me was a weird pressure under the tongue of the boot

One more question. What I dislike about the 4d's is the lack of any stiffness and under foot protection. Are those trk's better in those areas?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
they are stiffer than the 4D's, but I wouldn't say a lot stiffer; not sure on the under foot protection- I didn't find that a problem for me and haven't had the TRK's out, no issues with that with the Omegas at all