2019 turkeys: Nebrasks vs. Oklahoma

I’m sitting around waiting for the power to go out thanks to Florence, and I’m trying to do some research. My wife and I would like to take a road trip/camping trip to either Nebraska or Oklahoma next spring and I’d like to try some out of state turkey hunting while we are traveling.

This might not be a fair question, but what is your advice on Nebraska vs. Oklahoma? Please take into consideration I’ll have to hunt public land, but I am not averse to paying a reasonable cost for an unguided one or two day hunt. The only scouting I’ll be able to do will be virtual.

Any suggestions or guidance is appreciated.

Mike

Jimss

WKR
I'm fortunate that I have permission to hunt private land in Nebraska. The public areas seem to get quite a bit of hunting pressure. If you go later in the season it may not be as bad? I don't have experience in Oklahoma.

I've hunted both and would recommend Nebraska. Oklahoma public land gets a lot more pressure, especially the spots with Rios. Nebraska has good public land all across the state. Don't overlook some of the smaller WMAs, even they often have birds.

elkdog

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted the Kaw wildlife area in north Oklahoma, just east of I-35 and the Ponderosa wildlife area in NW Nebraska. Both had a good number of birds, but like any public lands you have to work at it.