New Turkey shotgun under $500?

Battleguy

Banned
I am looking at getting a shotgun for turkey season. I want to spend under $500. Right now I am considering a Benelli Nova, Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870. Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

Netherman

WKR
I agree with the 870. Tons of aftermarket options if you want to go crazy down the road. It's the Rem700 of shotguns.

I've got a 870 SPS Turkey and love the shorter barrel in the turkey woods. I also like the higher comb as it allows me to see thru a cantilever rifled barrel. Michigan has some silly laws requiring shotguns or muzzleloaders for deer hunting in the lower half of the state. I got mine for around $500 on gunbroker.

Another question to ask yourself is are you the "I shoot a 3.5" because they don't make a 4"" or an "if it works out it works out" kind of guy. Just a year or so ago I was firmly in the biggest is best camp and didn't want to ever be unable to kill a turkey because my gun didn't have the range. The last two years I've taken an 870 youth 20ga. It's more maneuverable, lighter, and way less recoil. But, it's not going to be effective past 30yds.

I think the change is due to my lack of excitement for turkey meat coupled with my love of the turkey hunting process. Don't get me wrong I like eating wild turkey, but I'm not upset if I don't get one. When it comes to deer hunting I'm not in a good place if I don't have venison in the freezer.

N2TRKYS

WKR
PM me your email or phone number and I’ll send some pics of my 870 turkey setup. I’m shooting a 20ga, but I’m loading my own TSS loads.

AdamW

WKR
I have some personal experience with all 3 of those and I'll be the first of the group to not give the 870 the big nod. 870s today aren't the guns of old and I'm not even "old". For a true general purpose shotgun also to be used for wingshooting or something, I might give the 870 more love, but for a turkey gun I'd choose Mossberg or Benelli whichever you like the feel and features of better, then the 870 in 2.5th place.

When it comes to aftermarket and accessories most everything made for an 870 is made for a Mossberg. Realistically, what would you want on your turkey gun? Choke, optic and mount for some...all of that is available for a 500.

Realistically, any of those guns are fine choices and for a specialty use like turkey hunting, they all make a turkey version, get the one you like best. If I were to buy a new 12 ga turkey gun today it would very likely be a Mossberg 500 with a 22-24" barrel.

Just another perspective, have fun!

I also have experience with all three.
Personally not a fan of the 500. But many people are, so i dont think you will hate it. The 870's i have had in past have needed the chamber polished to avoid sticky extraction. The nova raddled too much in slide for me to want it as a turkey gun. I ended up getting the winchester sxp. I know it wasnt in your list but i would suggest taking a look at one.

Murdy

WKR
I picked up a used SuperNova a few years back in woodland camo in your price range. I love it. It has a 26 inch barrel, which I don't mind but some might find long for turkey, but they make them in 24. I don't know anything about the Mossberg, though I have a couple friends who use them (on a turkey edition) and seem satisfied. I also own an 870 that I bought in 2007. I agree with Adam W's take on them, they "aren't the guns of old." I would lean toward the Benelli.

Honestly, if I were repurchasing a turkey gun I would go with a single shot 20ga with a pistol grip or thumbhole stock. Drill and tap for red dot or maybe up to a 3x scope and call it good. Lightweight, compact, and more than enough for turkeys at even "extended" ranges.....plus well below $500.
Of the choices listed I would go with the 500.

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
Not on your list but I would take a good look at the stoeger m3000. 12 gauge semi auto with 24" barrel right around $500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

codym

WKR
Best turkey gun ever Weatherby SA-459 20 ga. with a burris fast fire II, sumtoy .562 choke loaded with TSS 9's. I think I got mine for right around 500 bucks.

Jimss

WKR
After asking the same question and looking at gobs of reviews I ended up buying this turkey shotgun: https://www.cabelas.com/product/null/731999.uts?slotId=5

It's a Remington 879 super mag turkey/predator with dot scope.

I do a bunch of spot and stalk turkey hunting and there is a definite advantage hauling around a lighter shotgun with shorter barrel through thick brush over lots of miles. From the YouTube videos and reviews on oldgobbler.com and other turkey websites they all gave this shotgun rave reviews. There are a few reviews on the Cabelas website but you'll find a bunch more if you do a web search. It's nice having a dot scope included in the package! I bought discount Cabelas gift cards ($100 gift cards for $80 on Ebay) and got an additional 20% off the price.

Take a look at the reviews and I'm sure you'll be as impressed as I am with this shotgun.

wildcat33

WKR
I cant believe no ones mentioned the Mossberg 935. I found mine for under 300. Theres one on gunbroker right now for 325. The synthetic black with a 26" barrel, a couple cans of spray paint and a few silk plants and you have yourself a badass camo turkey hammer.

I cant believe no ones mentioned the Mossberg 935. I found mine for under 300. Theres one on gunbroker right now for 325. The synthetic black with a 26" barrel, a couple cans of spray paint and a few silk plants and you have yourself a badass camo turkey hammer.
I second the Mossberg 935. I got mine used for 400. 3.5" chamber. Great shooter too, just took a few ducks with it on saturday.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

omegafoo

FNG
Stoeger M3020 Compact for me and it was right at or just under $500 for the gun. Had Sumtoy drill/tap it and have his mount with his choke and a Burris FF3. Killed birds out to 50 with it and TSS and it's a sub 6lb shotgun. Some days I walk a lot and my days of carrying a heavy 8lb 12ga are over. 20ga 3" does all I need and more.

I'd go with the Benelli, imo about all a Mossberg is good for is a boat anchor. They kick like a mule and have regular problems with the pump mechanism malfunctioning.

I’ve spent plenty of time behind all three of the listed guns. My choice would be an old 870 off gunbroker with the Benelli a close second and the Mossberg a very distant third. 870’s are tough to beat and carry well in the turkey woods. The older ones are much better quality than new and tons of aftermarket parts available. The benelli is by far the best quality gun and would be my top choice if it weren’t for the rattling forearm and clunky feel which I don’t feel lends itself to a turkey gun. I’ve owned 500’s in my younger years and won’t ever again, functional but cheap quality.

As another poster mentioned, I hunt all my turkeys these days with a 20 gauge and usually a break action single shot. I do a lot of backcountry turkey hunting and the single shot can’t be beat for light weight, comfortable carrying, and maneuverability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you can find it used older 870 (no new ones) if not a nova is tough to beat. best bet buy used and I bet you can get into a franchi or stoeger semi auto for right around your 500 and maybe even save a little

Gsheller

FNG
If the 870 or Mossberg fits you better, then get that one, otherwise I think the Benelli Nova. They come in any configuration you could want- which makes all the 870 add ons less critical; chamber up to 3.5” shells (what you want for turkey-and 870 is limited to 3”); bomb proof; light weight (also a big plus for turkey hunting); and have the same incredible ergonomics of a super black eagle for 1/4 of the price.