North East Montana Waterfowl

NLaudy

FNG
Let me start by saying I have never hunted out west nor have I ever been to Montana. However, at the end of the month I am heading to NE Montana (Glasgow area) for my first mule deer hunt. I have two weeks of hunting planned and am trying to plan other options if I somehow get lucky early on and was curious if anyone knows about the waterfowl in the area. Is it worth lugging a canoe 30hrs one way in hopes of going waterfowl hunting? Is a canoe even needed? Or heck are birds even around?

I know I am asking a lot here but just curious if it is worth it to throw a few geese or duck decoys in the truck.

Mt Al

WKR
You picked a great place as a base camp: Glasgow. I don't know if a canoe is necessary unless you have access to the Milk River. It wont work on Ft. Peck unless zero wind for days and you hugged the bank, Bowdoin reservoir near Malta might work but haven't hunted waterfowl there. I wouldn't haul one if it were me.

Anyhoo, last time I did upland and waterfowl up there I just jumped stock ponds (can see from Google Earth) on BLM land and very small creeks. If you have access to the Milk, but don't have a dog you may not be able to retrieve the downed ducks: uncool. On stock ponds and small creeks, just wear waders and you're good to go. I never hunted geese over decoys up there but imagine it would be very good.

As with everything: it depends. There may be tons of ducks in the area and the ponds and creeks might not be frozen over, or it could be a miserable white out.

You can get an upland tag and hunt sharpies, huns and pheasant forever up there. Check out block management and the MT FWP program for upland game, not sure the name of it. Strongly recommend using google earth, find block management places and look way off the road for cover, creeks, gullies, etc.. to plan your trip. The farther off the road the better but with a very good GPS to get you back to your truck (don't ask my how I know). I found a place on public land with an ancient abandoned farm house, way off the road, down in a gully and shot my fill of wild pheasants and huns. Will never forget that day!

You might be able to find prairie dog towns, hunt coyotes and fox, etc..

Given how far your going and the time you're investing, please get a very good GPS with a public land chip (OnX Maps) and a Montana Gazetteer map book. It's money in the bank, eliminates confusions, saves time and gas and frustration. Worth every penny. A used or discontinued Garmin Dakota 20 with a chip is one way to go if funds are a bit tight.

Please post pics of your trip when you get back! The difference between Fredricksburg and NE Montana is mind blowing.

OP
N

NLaudy

FNG
Mt Al, I truly appreciate your words of wisdom and great advice! I will make sure we have good maps and a GPS with us for sure! Also, I will take plenty of pictures... it is coming quick and I am starting to get really excited!

El_fuego

FNG
How'd you fare in Glasgow this year? We had a hard time scrapping out one rooster, few days before the deer opener. Did you find time for the ol busted knuckle garage?