Sandhill Cranes

blkntancj

FNG
Well the only tag I drew this year was for sandhill cranes. Not complaining because they are a blast to hunt. Opening day is Saturday. Anybody else hunting "ribeye in the sky" this year?

n816kc

Lil-Rokslider
never hunted them but they're thick as mosquitos in central florida. Had one walk between me and my target a couple of weeks ago, would have been tempting if shooting broadheads that afternoon.

jeffpg

WKR
I have never hunted them, but for some strange reason I want to. I think it may have a lot to do with their reputation for being such good eating.

boom

WKR
they are delicious!! i am hoarding the last two breast halves in deep freeze.

i went last year. so much fun..but i did it in TEXAS. we limited out in about 35 minutes of hunting. i think it was 15 minutes the first day..20 the next. it goes fast.
the remaining minutes spent in Lubbuck were boring..you can only eat so many chick fil a, and whataburgers. :)

i had quit drinking by then.

MIKEYB

WKR
I went with a buddy several years ago.He tagged out first thing. no decoys, pure ambush.

I still can feel the thud of the bird hitting the ground like a rock.

PM me if you want any tips with my experience.

Last edited:
I've hunted cranes a few times in central saskatchewan. Very fun and very good table fare.

It's kind of twisted humor to pop out of a blind on them. Unlike ducks and geese that tend to flare when the blind doors open cranes act like theyve never been shot at before (because they likely haven't). It's nothing but a mess of legs and wings tangled up in the air when you connect.

VernAK

WKR
I've been hunting them nearly every day since 9/1 as we are having a very warm fall.
I'm going out in an hour to see if I can get under some of these late birds. The migration
usually ends here about 10/1 but this weather and no snow keeps em around.

Titan

WKR
Diamond - just responded to your post looking for 3.5" shells. I'm guessing its for crane? Out of the 3 guns we are shooting, the 3" seem to pattern better than the 3.5"s. We have no problem knocking them down with 3" and BB, #1, and #2s.