All my upland hunters out there, which shotgun?

Bones

WKR
I would keep an eye on cabelas gun library online. I have seen some good deals on some over unders come through there. Similar to NDGuy's purchase, I saw a baisic berretta over under for around $800, would have been a great buy. I have a super Vinci for waterfowl, but picked up a Merkel 201 to use for clays and upland hunting. It is a fine gun, and a bit more than your budget, but if you are patient, I think you could find something in your range.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Reviving this thread. I am back in the saddle for wanting either the Montefeltro, Franchi Affinity, or the Weatherby Element in 20ga.

Anyone with some experience with any of the 3 please chime in. I am not going over a grand so if you have another suggestion just keep it under that price point.

I purchased a franchi affinity last year and I love it. It is basically a Benelli M2 except cheaper. It even says benelli on the receiver.

I won a Franchi affinity in a fundraiser rafle. It’s my only foreign made gun.
I absolutely love the thing. It’s 20 gauge and I put a sling on it.
It kills ducks as well as upland birds. It’s a pleasure to carry and shoot.

Forks

FNG
I have moved on from both of my Affinity's (12/20) due to them producing the infamous "click" that some experience. In my case, it always happened when I was moving fast up to my dogs on point or brush catching the bolt handle. A friends Monte does the same thing. I enjoy their replacement (Beretta A400 Xplor) which I found in your price range used.

KJH

WKR
The only Benelli I care for is the Montefeltro... I've never had a ultralight but I absolutely love the 20ga Montefeltro. I can't find anything bad to say about any of those 3.

You can buy a high grade blued/wood gloss Weatherby Element 20 ga for $875ish, so that makes that one attractive if you don't have your heart set on a Benelli or Franchi.

Last edited:
OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
You can buy a high grade blued/wood gloss Weatherby Element 20 ga for $875ish, so that makes that one attractive if you don't have your heart set on a Benelli or Franchi.

Now that you mention that, my local store has a new Weatherby Element 20ga on sale for $700...which is why it has been added to my list ha

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Found this Montefeltro 20ga at my local shop, think I have found the gun I have been looking for. The stock on this is unreal for just a normal Monte.

slick

WKR
I have a friend who does a lot of mountain grouse hunting in Montana. He was looking at benelli's but discovered their wood stocks to just have a sheet laid over lesser wood (any truth to this?) and decided to purchase a Retay Masai Mara. Just another option to take a look at.

Last edited:

codym

WKR
I have a friend who does a lot of mountain grouse hunting in Montana. He was looking at benelli's but discovered their wood stocks to just have a sheet laid over lesser wood (any truth to this?) and decided to purchase a Retay Masai Mara. Just another option to take a look at.

I think you are right. My wife has a 20 ga monte and its a great gun. She fell turkey hunting and put a gouge in the stock and the wood underneath wasn't nearly as nice as the outer wood.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
I think you are right. My wife has a 20 ga monte and its a great gun. She fell turkey hunting and put a gouge in the stock and the wood underneath wasn't nearly as nice as the outer wood.

Well that is a bit concerning, is there any for sure evidence of that? That would be really slimey to have two layers of wood quality ha

JWP58

WKR
The ultralights have fake wood. No idea concerning the montefeltro. I would be more concerned with the "benelli click" issue (bolt rotating out of battery when bumped).

slick

WKR
Well that is a bit concerning, is there any for sure evidence of that? That would be really slimey to have two layers of wood quality ha

I don’t think it’s two layers of wood.. as far as I know it’s walnut with a sheet laid over top that just looks like nice wood.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
I don’t think it’s two layers of wood.. as far as I know it’s walnut with a sheet laid over top that just looks like nice wood.

Is that a normal process? I have never heard of anything like that before. If that is true, seems like BS on the company's part.

slick

WKR
I’m not certain..not claiming to be an expert. Just what I’ve been told. I’m sure there’s someone on here that knows more than I about their processes. But, I agree- total b.s.

ckleeves

WKR
Benelli calls it weathecoat. Beretta calls theirs Xtra grain I think. I actually don’t mind it. Some of the Beretta’s look pretty fake but others don’t look bad. It makes for a pretty durable wood stock. I have a Beretta Tekneys 391 that I have used and abused for years and it’s held up remarkable well with the Xtragrain. That one looks really fake but I have a 20 ga in the same gun that looks really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like your pretty into the wood stock and semi's but I have a Browning BPS with a synthetic stock that is my workhorse gun and love it. I beat the absolute crap out of it duck, pheasant and grouse hunting and I have never had an issue. Pull the trigger, pump, repeat. As far as weight goes we hunt 10 to sundown when in South Dakota and never thought it was too heavy at the end of the day.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Tapatalk

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Seems like your pretty into the wood stock and semi's but I have a Browning BPS with a synthetic stock that is my workhorse gun and love it. I beat the absolute crap out of it duck, pheasant and grouse hunting and I have never had an issue. Pull the trigger, pump, repeat. As far as weight goes we hunt 10 to sundown when in South Dakota and never thought it was too heavy at the end of the day.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Tapatalk

Ya I am stuck on wood. I already have a synthetic 870 and a Winchester SX3 with the duratouch coating.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Benelli calls it weathercoat. QUOTE]

I talked with Benelli today. Only the Ultralight has the Weathercoat so the Monte I found is just a really nice piece of Walnut!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk